Slovakia - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia

Brassrubber

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

As mentioned earlier it was a very understrength German team...

They also beat Spain in qualifying though, and won in Ukraine which is not to be sniffed at.

Then again they lost at home to Belarus after beating them away.

A team it seems that are equally capable of both very good results and horrible ones. Hopefully they saved their good one for England.

They got off to a flyer in qualyfing, won their first 6 games including a home win vs Spain. Only win they managed after that was the last game away to Luxumbourg. They were lucky Ukraine had Spain the same night or they could have totally bottled it.

1 hour ago, norsefox said:

How did that team knock 3 past Germany?

When teams like that waltz through qualifying I've got to think that our problem is less ability and more directly related to poor attitude and zero confidence.

I've said for years it's our players attitude and lack of bottle more than lack of skill which holds us back.  Last campaign by itself, threw away points from winning or drawing positions against Germany and Poland, bottled Georgia away.  We've the mental strength of pansies!!

39 minutes ago, Radian said:

I've said for years it's our players attitude and lack of bottle more than lack of skill which holds us back.  Last campaign by itself, threw away points from winning or drawing positions against Germany and Poland, bottled Georgia away.  We've the mental strength of pansies!!

The Hibs of international football.

(21st May excepted).

J

1 hour ago, Radian said:

I've been saying the same myself. Everyone was talking about how our last qualifying group would come down to our battle with Poland and Ireland. I think we showed that we're better than Ireland and held our own with Poland. We were unbeaten against both of them, yet they're both at the euros and we're not. What does that tell you? I'm sick of hearing folk always saying we're pish. We're not pish, we're losers. There's a difference!

Edited by Dogbiscuit

3 hours ago, Dogbiscuit said:

Everyone was talking about how our last qualifying group would come down to our battle with Poland and Ireland. I think we showed that we're better than Ireland and held our own with Poland. We were unbeaten against both of them, yet they're both at the euros and we're not. What does that tell you? I'm sick of hearing folk always saying we're pish. We're not pish, we're losers. There's a difference!

Agreed. That's up there with Irvine Welsh's 'it's shite being Scottish' speil.

Accurate. And also so depressing.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Slovakia will rip us apart, especially if Hamsik is playing. Our only slight hope is if he gets injured before our game against them. We have nobody anywhere near his class.

Had a look at their squad there, they have players who feature at top clubs in 13 different countries. We have nowhere near that depth of talent to call upon...

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Had a look at their squad there, they have players who feature at top clubs in 13 different countries. We have nowhere near that depth of talent to call upon...

Aye it's not just Hamsik, they have some decent players right through their team. Apart from their goalie, who looked a bit pish yesterday, their weakest link is probably Skirtel and he has played at the highest level for most of his career. 

Over the past 20 years we have had loads of decent players. What we havent had though is european class players. Over that time we have had 1 regular at a top 4 club in a major league. That being Darren Fletcher who is a defensive player. 

Would be interesting to look at the rest of Europes smaller nations and compare over same time period. Even at the moment Wales have 2 and off the top of my head they have had at least 2 more.

Our lack of ability to take our decent players and make them better is our problem. There are many factors in that. One being we have 2 huge clubs in a poor league who take alot of our better players, another is a lack of professonalism in our mentality. Until we change that we wont qualify for another tournament.

21 hours ago, Dogbiscuit said:

I've been saying the same myself. Everyone was talking about how our last qualifying group would come down to our battle with Poland and Ireland. I think we showed that we're better than Ireland and held our own with Poland. We were unbeaten against both of them, yet they're both at the euros and we're not. What does that tell you? I'm sick of hearing folk always saying we're pish. We're not pish, we're losers. There's a difference!

Yeah I agree, not saying were brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but we aren't pish, a team of bottlers/losers with a manager who doesn't help that mentality.  

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Over the past 20 years we have had loads of decent players. What we havent had though is european class players. Over that time we have had 1 regular at a top 4 club in a major league. That being Darren Fletcher who is a defensive player. 

We've had a few if you go back as far as 20 years. Certainly only Fletcher in the past decade...

1 hour ago, Radian said:

Yeah I agree, not saying were brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but we aren't pish, a team of bottlers/losers with a manager who doesn't help that mentality.  

Agree we're not 'pish' we are decent middle of the road team but we have to get rid of this negativity and that has to start with Strachan getting rid of his.

I read both Chris Suttons and Charlie Adam's comments today. Both were spot on IMO. Sutton nailed it when he said that the spark we had seemed to dissapear after Georgia away and Strachan has been so negative since, the constant talking down of his squad will only harm the dressing room. Seems to be a man who's heart isnt in it and could be one bad result from walking away. The SFA really need to have a word if thats the case, is he up for it or not? If not the maybe its time to part ways.

As for Charlie Adam, he's baffled by his lack of call ups. Played 25 games for Stoke last season and was the highest placed Scot in the EPL. Yet Strachan has continually went on recently about not having enough players playing at the highest level and a lack of players who are comfortable on the ball and can pass it, Adam believes he ticks those boxes and to be fair he has a point he also mentioned Bradsley as well who played the last 12 or so games for Stoke.

For me we just need to get these Euros over and done with. Its depressing everyone us not being there, sooner its done and the new season starts the better, then we can hopefully start looking forward with 3 points in Malta kicking us off.

4 hours ago, bossman4 said:

As for Charlie Adam, he's baffled by his lack of call ups. Played 25 games for Stoke last season and was the highest placed Scot in the EPL. Yet Strachan has continually went on recently about not having enough players playing at the highest level and a lack of players who are comfortable on the ball and can pass it, Adam believes he ticks those boxes and to be fair he has a point he also mentioned Bradsley as well who played the last 12 or so games for Stoke.

For me we just need to get these Euros over and done with. Its depressing everyone us not being there, sooner its done and the new season starts the better, then we can hopefully start looking forward with 3 points in Malta kicking us off.

Ever watch Adam whilst he was gaining any of those twenty five caps ?

He was utter pish for about twenty of them. Just blindly blasting the ball anywhere and unable to complete simple six yard passes, don't even go near his tackling ability.

He'll be thirty one in December too. 

Strachan made a good decision leaving him out. Adam is one of yesterdays men. We don't miss him, we don't need him.

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ever watch Adam whilst he was gaining any of those twenty five caps ?

He was utter pish for about twenty of them. Just blindly blasting the ball anywhere and unable to complete simple six yard passes, don't even go near his tackling ability.

He'll be thirty one in December too. 

Strachan made a good decision leaving him out. Adam is one of yesterdays men. We don't miss him, we don't need him.

I'd happily see Adam back in the squad. If we're packing the midfield we may aswell have some ability in there.