Slovakia - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Slovakia

Brassrubber

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13 June 2016 at 5:27 PM, andyD said:

Wasn't particularly worried by Slovakias performance the other day. They weren't terrible and Hamsik is a player, but they're no great shakes.
 Similarly, England weren't wildly impressive either. Struggling to score past an old, slow russian side who had no invention whatso ever.

We are capable of getting results from these teams, but it will 100% depend on which Scotland turns up. Strachan's assessment of our players being scared is spot on, and if we show up still scared then we'll likely get beat. If we can find a shred of confidence from somewhere, or be given it by us fans, then we really do have a chance of getting thru this qualifying group.

Would Malta and Lithuania help the confidence?

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

6 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Would Malta and Lithuania help the confidence?

J

Should do. Time we stopped shiiting ourselves over the likes of Slovakia.

We have a decent draw for WC qualifying and no reason why we can't push England all the way in the group if we go into every game playing for a win.

We didn't get all the results going for us in a tough group last time around. Time to get over it.

16 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Should do. Time we stopped shiiting ourselves over the likes of Slovakia.

We have a decent draw for WC qualifying and no reason why we can't push England all the way in the group if we go into every game playing for a win.

We didn't get all the results going for us in a tough group last time around. Time to get over it.

Good post.  How about we give the negativity a break and perhaps we may just do something? 

On 15/06/2016 at 0:14 PM, er yir macaroon said:

Pretty sure Naismith failed a pace test so didn't have the option. 

Yeah I know it wasnt his choice in thr end. Was just pointing out thr different ways a career can go. Staying in Scotland does not produce elite footballers. 

Id rather have 100 Ryan Gaulds or Jake Harpers who dont quite make it if it meant we produced one Gareth Bale who did. You could use Darren Fletcher and Michael Stewart as exampls. Stewart didnt make it like many dont. Fletcher did and was a top quality player. If we had many other like Fletcher playing in top 4 teams we would be at every major championship.

Players who stay in Scotland past the age of 21 will not take us forward nomatter how much "game time" they get.

27 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yeah I know it wasnt his choice in thr end. Was just pointing out thr different ways a career can go. Staying in Scotland does not produce elite footballers. 

Id rather have 100 Ryan Gaulds or Jake Harpers who dont quite make it if it meant we produced one Gareth Bale who did. You could use Darren Fletcher and Michael Stewart as exampls. Stewart didnt make it like many dont. Fletcher did and was a top quality player. If we had many other like Fletcher playing in top 4 teams we would be at every major championship.

Players who stay in Scotland past the age of 21 will not take us forward nomatter how much "game time" they get.

another good post, but disagree with your last point.

look at other players for other nations that have come to the fore later in their careers, i.e. vardy, payet and kante. we shouldn't discount and give up on players if they have not 'made it' by the time they are 21, there is plenty of time for the, to develop and progress.

I think it's best if they get out early, the only exceptions being the ones that haven't filled out properly. People like to think the SPFL is a physical league, but it's not, you just need a good engine which is a different thing altogether. Players in other top leagues seem to have far greater upper body strength compared with the puny players in our league.

Slovakia v Wales I thought that they were nothing all that special that on our day and with a good start in the first two games we could probably come back from Trvnava with a hard earned point.... but when I watched them v Slovakia I started to think it is more likely that they will easily challenge England.

With England, though their form has not been great in this tournament, Roy has turned them into a good qualifying side (its just that they do not seem to take that form into tournaments) and it looks like they will get the Czech Republic or Northern Ireland in the next round, so realistically a clear road to the quarter's (which most the English media said was the minimum Roy needed to do to keep his job)..... but I think the Slovakia v England game will be interesting to watch to get a taste of what way our WC group will go.

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Slovakia v Wales I thought that they were nothing all that special that on our day and with a good start in the first two games we could probably come back from Trvnava with a hard earned point.... but when I watched them v Slovakia I started to think it is more likely that they will easily challenge England.

With England, though their form has not been great in this tournament, Roy has turned them into a good qualifying side (its just that they do not seem to take that form into tournaments) and it looks like they will get the Czech Republic or Northern Ireland in the next round, so realistically a clear road to the quarter's (which most the English media said was the minimum Roy needed to do to keep his job)..... but I think the Slovakia v England game will be interesting to watch to get a taste of what way our WC group will go.

England do take that qualifying form into tournaments. However they are seeded in the qualifying groups and therefore are rarely stretched - when they come to the actual tournaments, after the groups stages they invariably come up against teams in the knock out stages who are simply better than they are/higher ranked. England are a top 10 ranked team in the world and maybe top 5 or 6 in Europe. Their last 16/quarter final regular tournament exits are consistent with their rankings - they rarely fail to disappoint.

16 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

England do take that qualifying form into tournaments. However they are seeded in the qualifying groups and therefore are rarely stretched - when they come to the actual tournaments, after the groups stages they invariably come up against teams in the knock out stages who are simply better than they are/higher ranked. England are a top 10 ranked team in the world and maybe top 5 or 6 in Europe. Their last 16/quarter final regular tournament exits are consistent with their rankings - they rarely fail to disappoint.

agree, they typically beat who you expect them to beat, and lose to who you would expect them to lose to.

Ok the drew against Russia and Slovakia, but they lose very very few competitive games. I actually think they will find it easier to attack and score against teams that come out a bit more as opposed to sitting in like they have face this tournament.

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Slovakia will be hard to score against!

The way we have been playing, Malta will be hard to score against.

I really need to get rid of the negativity and try to be positive, but the way we are playing of late, it makes it difficult.

Squad needs fresh players. Badly.

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm more positive about our chances after watching that game. 

Not for me. They have two or three very good players that can change a game. They will be beat us fairly comfortably in slovakia and we might get a point at home.

57 minutes ago, jock strap said:

The way we have been playing, Malta will be hard to score against.

I really need to get rid of the negativity and try to be positive, but the way we are playing of late, it makes it difficult.

Squad needs fresh players. Badly.

The way we've been playing recently was two friendlies against two of the favourites for the Euro's when we wanted to be on holiday. We really can't read to much into those games, France was a mistake something which even Strachan admitted we should have taken.

The squad has had fresh faces into it over the four games this year how many more do people want, a full new squad of 23 players with no experience?

I think we all need to get rid of the negativity, that will only happen once these euros are done and dusted and the new season starts.

Slovakia are a well organised team, probably better defensively than Poland but not as good up front as them and we managed 4 goals in two games against them. Strachan will have watched them, I hope he realises that we need to attack them, they defended superbly last night but as a result Hamsik was taken out the game. The amount of times he was forced to pick the ball up in his own half was unreal and when he was put under pressure he miss placed passes and gave the ball away a few times, was the same against Wales but not as much as last night. Hamsik is a great player but he's not a Bale or Lewandowski.

Edited by bossman4

I agree with a lot of your post Bossman. 

I should have highlighted it more clearer by saying we should have tried and tested more forward players in the last 3-4 games. 

Gibraltar, Czech Rep, Italy and France would have perfect to try and play as many fresh faces or players like Rhodes and Wallace, just to see what they can offer for us. 

We didn't have wan shot against France !!! 

There is always the chance we can hope teams score og's for us :lol: 

your right about attacking, we must attack. Give it the bloody lot and fire right in aboot every team !

Id rather get defeated trying like Wembley away last time.