Intermittent Fasting - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Intermittent Fasting

Has anyone on here tried this before? I had my yearly health check last week and my doctor said that although I'm not overweight, I would probably feel better if I dropped a few kgs. His suggestion was to eat only twice a day (lunch/dinner) and avoid snacks completely for a few months.

Keen to hear from others here who've tried this or something similar.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diets, such as what you're proposing, are daft IMO. The best way isn't to diet for a short period but to do something you'll stick to in the long term. Eat healthier (limit carbs intake especially) and exercise more. It's that simple, don't complicate it. 

I limit starchy or sugary carbs to post workout meals only (normally breakfast for me). While at my other meals i'll have chicken or fish (sometimes beef) with loads of steamed or boiled veg. For snacks in between i'll have a handful of nuts, an apple, some cold meat. 

Keep your protein consumption high (good for satiety) and your sugar and strachy carb intake low. 

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Diets, such as what you're proposing, are daft IMO. The best way isn't to diet for a short period but to do something you'll stick to in the long term. Eat healthier (limit carbs intake especially) and exercise more. It's that simple, don't complicate it. 

I limit starchy or sugary carbs to post workout meals only (normally breakfast for me). While at my other meals i'll have chicken or fish (sometimes beef) with loads of steamed or boiled veg. For snacks in between i'll have a handful of nuts, an apple, some cold meat. 

Keep your protein consumption high (good for satiety) and your sugar and strachy carb intake low. 

I'd add to that to cut down on alcohol consumption too - lots of empty calories.  

Edited by Mindimoo

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

This.

Skipping healthy meals isn't a good option. 

Trt and get most of my carbs from veg, sweet potato and brown rice. Plus beer obviously. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I'd also add that eating should be fun/enjoyable! 

Losing weight involves consuming less than you are using up as energy, so from time to time you will feel hungry. I'm afraid you'll just have to deal with that. But that doesn't mean you can't eat good food. Today i'm having thai green chicken curry and veg for lunch, then some beef chilli with avocado for dinner.  

Gave it a bash a couple of years ago and lost a stone and a half. Have stuck to it pretty much since and I've kept the weight off.

Basically two days a week I'll have some porridge for breakfast (with just a splash of milk), a couple of oranges and a banana through the day and a low calorie meal in the evening.

Drinking plenty of water, black coffee and green tea to stave off the hunger pangs too.

Edited by Toepoke

Tried it for a few months and it worked really well.

Basically twice a week I only ate 500/600 calories a day. With a bit of imagination and research, you can make some very decent substantial meals (Pork and Turkey are your friends here).

You will get better results if you fast two days in a row - but it gets tough. I stopped because I am weak and I was moving home so my focus was elsewhere, but I plan to start it up again when things have settled down a bit.

This is worth watching: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

Edited by Brummie Hibs

13 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

I'd add to that to cut down on alcohol consumption too - lots of empty calories.  

Plus with alcohol consumption comes kebabs and pizzas - can't ever say I've felt like a broccoli bake after a session. 

I fast frequently cos wife don't cook regular.   Think I'm going home to open can of corned beef.   I always lose weight in Angola cos is breakfast and evening meal with no soft drinks. Don't go out drinking and no tea or coffee apart from breakfast 

Lost best part of 3 stones in 3/4 months by having either fruit or a soup at lunch during weekdays at work - normal breakfast & dinner

More exercise - played fitba, went for the odd run but took the dug a 3/4/5 miler each day at brisk pace - weight just dropped off. 

Less drink - that was the real bassa.

And stay away from Killie pies - those bastards have Type 2 Diabetes written all over them!

23 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

You will get better results if you fast two days in a row - but it gets tough. I stopped because I am weak and I was moving home so my focus was elsewhere, but I plan to start it up again when things have settled down a bit.

This is worth watching: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

Aye, it was a guy I worked beside who had seen the Michael Mosely programme and put me on to it.

It's clearly not for everyone (my missus hated it) but I do find myself after a weekend's excess looking forward to a low calorie Monday.  That said, breakfast on a Thursday is probably my favourite meal of the week, knowing that I can splurge for the next few days :)

I have to admit I couldn't face two consecutive days of fasting though.

On 31 May 2016 at 8:55 AM, derekfaejapan said:

Has anyone on here tried this before? I had my yearly health check last week and my doctor said that although I'm not overweight, I would probably feel better if I dropped a few kgs. His suggestion was to eat only twice a day (lunch/dinner) and avoid snacks completely for a few months.

Keen to hear from others here who've tried this or something similar.

I implement intermittent fasting into my eating habits from time to time. Not to lose weight but for the many other benefits delivered to the body from fasting. Particularly, the benefits for the brain- the neurons In particular. The discovery that fasting benefited us in such a way was amazing amd apparently very much surprising to the researchers in this field.

If you've not already seen the Michael Moseley documentary on the subject it's a must watch, there is an accompanying book and website. I can only personaly recommend the documentary as I've only glanced at the book and the forum. 

I suggest you give it a try, you've nothing to lose and very much to gain.

Good Luck :)

PS- I was doing my intermittent fasting on Mondays and Friday's as those were often my busiest days of the week. Less time to think about eating helps! 

Edited by McExpat

5 hours ago, hairy de janairy said:

I dont see what the issue with bread is

people eat bread all around the world and have been since the first caveman worked it out..clearly bread is not the problem ?!

All bread is not created equal. 

Bread is often a problem and a very big problem for many. 

7 hours ago, hairy de janairy said:

people eat bread all around the world and have been since the first caveman worked it out..clearly bread is not the problem ?!

Yon caveman used to go several days without a proper meal though. One reason why stuffing oor gubs with grub every day is bad news, we're not programmed to live that way...

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Yon caveman used to go several days without a proper meal though. One reason why stuffing oor gubs with grub every day is bad news, we're not programmed to live that way...

Would explain why they're extinct.

21 hours ago, Topcat said:

Lost best part of 3 stones in 3/4 months by having either fruit or a soup at lunch during weekdays at work - normal breakfast & dinner

More exercise - played fitba, went for the odd run but took the dug a 3/4/5 miler each day at brisk pace - weight just dropped off. 

Less drink - that was the real bassa.

And stay away from Killie pies - those bastards have Type 2 Diabetes written all over them!

Something like this works well for me.  

No booze, processed food, added sugar. Normal breakfast and dinner, piece of fruit at most for lunch.

Add running lots of easy miles and I can lose a few pounds a week easily.