Intermittent Fasting - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Intermittent Fasting

7 hours ago, hairy de janairy said:

I dont see what the issue with bread is

people eat bread all around the world and have been since the first caveman worked it out..clearly bread is not the problem ?!

Presumably the first people to eat bread were the people who figured out how to grow and mill wheat.  But they would have been out doing that themselves, not placing an order at Tesco online and sitting down in front of the TV to wait for it.

I think the combination of a high carb diet and sedantry lifestyle can be bad.

Besides, as mentioned by someone above, a sliced white loaf from Tesco doesn't have much going for it nutritionally and bears little resemblance to what bread used to be like.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/31/2016 at 8:55 AM, derekfaejapan said:

Has anyone on here tried this before? I had my yearly health check last week and my doctor said that although I'm not overweight, I would probably feel better if I dropped a few kgs. His suggestion was to eat only twice a day (lunch/dinner) and avoid snacks completely for a few months.

Keen to hear from others here who've tried this or something similar.

If your not so keen on fasting, you could consider having some 'vegetarian or vegan days' to help lose weight and also become healthier.

You can eat a ton of veg whilst keeping calories under control, this helps in particular if you are likely to miss / crave the actual eating process and allows you to have something in your stomach all of the time, providing you from feeling empty. That's addressing two factors that often lead to people failing, when implementing a new eating plan.

On 6/1/2016 at 1:49 PM, hairy de janairy said:

I dont see what the issue with bread is

people eat bread all around the world and have been since the first caveman worked it out..clearly bread is not the problem ?!

It is to do with the fact that bread is a carbohydrate (carb) just like sugar and rice and starchy vegetables and pasta.  Carrots are high in carbs. When you roast them you taste their sweetness. Sugar beets are the second biggest source of sugar after sugar cane. .  Metabolically speaking the carbs all have a similar effect. Glycemic index is not a perfect measure by any means but it gives you a rough indication of how much sugar gets dumped into you when eating certain foods and the bad news is you need to start seeing bread like you see sugar. Think I lie? Glucose is the bench mark with a GI of 100. Sucrose or table sugar has a GI of 68. White bread has a GI of 70!

Folk above are now seeing the low carb sense. But none are saying with what you replace the carbs you remove. Or do you not replace them and thus slowly starve? Until you are your perfect weight after which you carb up and start to get fat again and then have to start starving yourself again? 

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

It is to do with the fact that bread is a carbohydrate (carb) just like sugar and rice and starchy vegetables and pasta.  Carrots are high in carbs. When you roast them you taste their sweetness. Sugar beets are the second biggest source of sugar after sugar cane. .  Metabolically speaking the carbs all have a similar effect. Glycemic index is not a perfect measure by any means but it gives you a rough indication of how much sugar gets dumped into you when eating certain foods and the bad news is you need to start seeing bread like you see sugar. Think I lie? Glucose is the bench mark with a GI of 100. Sucrose or table sugar has a GI of 68. White bread has a GI of 70!

Folk above are now seeing the low carb sense. But none are saying with what you replace the carbs you remove. Or do you not replace them and thus slowly starve? Until you are your perfect weight after which you carb up and start to get fat again and then have to start starving yourself again? 

I think we had a bit of a disagreement on this subject in the past but i think that may have been down to one of us (probably me, to be fair) failing to articulate our points correctly. 

I don't think we really disagree all that much. I'm looking to stay lean so my carb intake is mainly limited to post workout, in order to allow my muscles to recover and grow. 

The problem i think a lot of people face is that most of the convenient snacking foods available are all carb based. There needs to be a societal mindset change away from thinking a sandwich is a good lunchtime meal or that every dinner has to be served with potatoes/rice/pasta on the side. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I think we had a bit of a disagreement on this subject in the past but i think that may have been down to one of us (probably me, to be fair) failing to articulate our points correctly. 

I don't think we really disagree all that much. I'm looking to stay lean so my carb intake is mainly limited to post workout, in order to allow my muscles to recover and grow. 

The problem i think a lot of people face is that most of the convenient snacking foods available are all carb based. There needs to be a societal mindset change away from thinking a sandwich is a good lunchtime meal or that every dinner has to be served with potatoes/rice/pasta on the side. 

I love Sandwiches, best invention ever

6 minutes ago, Fish Gills Mcginty said:

I love Sandwiches, best invention ever

I love them too, i even have the occasional one (normally 4 slices of bread with chicken, ham, egg & spinach) as a post-workout refuel treat :) 

I love being in good shape more than sandwiches though. 

Been losing a little weight each week for a while now. I'm not a fatty by any means but moobs, gut and flabby chin/neck have been an issue. I've found eating full fat foods have helped. I eat a very balanced diet but what I've given up are all these low-fat nonsense foods. If I want a spread on toast I have butter. If I fancy a yoghurt, I go for full fat. If I'm making a dish that requires sweetness then I go sugar instead of fake sweetners. The amount of fake crap in foods such as corn syrup products is what is creating a lot issues. A big cut down on my meat intake has helped also.

I've been doing this 5:2 diet thing with my wife for the last wee while as well as doing a bit more running and a lot of walking now that the weather has picked up.  I thought that restricting myself to 600 calories on any given day would be close to impossible but it's actually pretty easy once you get in the swing of it providing you can find things you enjoy eating within that allowance.  The combination has definitely worked as I've lost about 10lbs in the last 3 weeks.  Once I get down to my fighting weight (probably another stone) I'll ditch the diet and increase the exercise.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 3:55 PM, derekfaejapan said:

Has anyone on here tried this before? I had my yearly health check last week and my doctor said that although I'm not overweight, I would probably feel better if I dropped a few kgs. His suggestion was to eat only twice a day (lunch/dinner) and avoid snacks completely for a few months.

Keen to hear from others here who've tried this or something similar.

Having been here a fair while shorter than you, I'm amazed you feel you need to lose a bit of bulk in Japan. Without remotely trying I'm down nearly two belt-holes (so over an inch off my waist - I never weigh myself), and put this down to smaller portion sizes and a huge increase in raw fish and rice consumption at the expense of spuds (plus more sake and less beer). Portion sizes seem to be crucial - compare the US where it's just daft and where the populace store the world's lard supply in their rumps - so just put less on your plate.

Surprised at the doc advising to miss breakfast. For me, the most important meal of the day.

As Parky says, key is trying to keep your carbs down as much as you can. I've stuck to using my food diary on myfitnesspal and I almost swear by it. It allows me to set goals and by calorie and carb counting I got down from 14 stone 1 to 12 stone 1 in 6 months (helps my diabetes no end). I've put back on a couple of pounds (back up to 12st 4) but I've cut back down on cardio and stuck to weights 3 times a week to try and bulk up a wee bit. Myfitnesspal recommended 2000 calories a day to try and maintain my weight so typical daily diet can be:

Brekkie - 60g All Bran / sliced banana / semi-skimmed milk / Skyr natural yogurt (225g)

Lunch - 100g wholewheat pasta / tin of tuna (drained) / Skyr yogurt as above

Dinner - Steak with baked potato and steamed veg

Snack - Nutriamino protein bar (post training only)

Starting to find that the days I am not training then the typical grub mentioned above is more than enough to keep me fuelled up during the day. And what has helped is cut down on bread and save Chinese takeaways as an occasional treat.

On 6/6/2016 at 1:05 PM, DonnyTJS said:

Having been here a fair while shorter than you, I'm amazed you feel you need to lose a bit of bulk in Japan. Without remotely trying I'm down nearly two belt-holes (so over an inch off my waist - I never weigh myself), and put this down to smaller portion sizes and a huge increase in raw fish and rice consumption at the expense of spuds (plus more sake and less beer). Portion sizes seem to be crucial - compare the US where it's just daft and where the populace store the world's lard supply in their rumps - so just put less on your plate.

I know what you mean, I lost over 10kg in my first seven months here without trying. I also think my doctor might have called this one wrong, I don't look or feel overweight and when I mentioned it to a few friends/works colleagues here, they all seemed a bit surprised at the advice I was given.

Anyway, I started it last week as I do have bad eating habits - snacking, drinking sugary drinks and eating in places like Saizeriya and Gusto after work...Trying to cut all of that out and eat only once or twice a day. Been going good so far.

Where in Japan are you staying these days?

11 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Surprised at the doc advising to miss breakfast. For me, the most important meal of the day.

As Parky says, key is trying to keep your carbs down as much as you can. I've stuck to using my food diary on myfitnesspal and I almost swear by it. It allows me to set goals and by calorie and carb counting I got down from 14 stone 1 to 12 stone 1 in 6 months (helps my diabetes no end). I've put back on a couple of pounds (back up to 12st 4) but I've cut back down on cardio and stuck to weights 3 times a week to try and bulk up a wee bit. Myfitnesspal recommended 2000 calories a day to try and maintain my weight so typical daily diet can be:

Brekkie - 60g All Bran / sliced banana / semi-skimmed milk / Skyr natural yogurt (225g)

Lunch - 100g wholewheat pasta / tin of tuna (drained) / Skyr yogurt as above

Dinner - Steak with baked potato and steamed veg

Snack - Nutriamino protein bar (post training only)

Starting to find that the days I am not training then the typical grub mentioned above is more than enough to keep me fuelled up during the day. And what has helped is cut down on bread and save Chinese takeaways as an occasional treat.

Yup, usually I eat breakfast but my work schedule recently has changed quite a bit and I'm rarely up before 11am...It will change back to normal in a few months though.

I agree with Parklife's first post too - Sensible advice in there.

14 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Where in Japan are you staying these days?

In the rolling, leafy 'burbs of northern Osaka. Handy for Kobe, Kyoto and the Bladerunner-barminess of Dotonbori. Bit different to Luanda (and Doncaster, if I'm honest).

10 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

In the rolling, leafy 'burbs of northern Osaka. Handy for Kobe, Kyoto and the Bladerunner-barminess of Dotonbori. Bit different to Luanda (and Doncaster, if I'm honest).

What do you do for a living, Donny? Interesting places you get to (Doncaster excepted*). Any jobs going?

* Comment for comedic purposes only, I have never actually been to Doncaster.

13 hours ago, duncan II said:

What do you do for a living, Donny? Interesting places you get to (Doncaster excepted*). Any jobs going?

* Comment for comedic purposes only, I have never actually been to Doncaster.

Mainly worked on the international school circuit, particularly schools teaching the International Baccalaureate. Easy enough for qualified teachers to find work, but to get into the sought-after schools is tough unless you're a competent physics/maths teacher or an administrator with a successful track record. Needless to say I'm neither, so took the cunning shortcut of marrying one...

On 6/7/2016 at 7:50 AM, DonnyTJS said:

Lucky man, that's a great part of the country to be living in.

I'll be down your way to run the Osaka Marathon in October, come out and give us a wave!

On 6/9/2016 at 7:24 PM, Flora MaDonald said:

Can you speak the lingo, Del? One of the hardest languages to learn.

Yeah, my Japanese isn'y bad, but for the time I've lived here it should be much better.

It isn'y actually that hard, there's a ton of English words that are just pronounced differently.

On 08/06/2016 at 10:28 AM, Fish Gills Mcginty said:

I've lost 30 kgs, as of yesterday morning. quite pleased with myself to be honest

That's really good going.

I lost almost 5 stone last year, then put it all back on, in the process of removing it again.