Proposed French Rail Strike - Page 5 - France v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Proposed French Rail Strike

1 hour ago, BUFF 1875 said:

Didn't you notice that a notice was put up each day in the station concourse, detailing what trains were likely to be running? Anyway, buying a ticket was a waste of time as no-one seemed to be checking anyway!!

The list only appeared to cover trains from Metz, couldn't see any relevant info. for Lorraine TGV station. All ended up ok, but the uncertainty of not knowing when/how I was getting home certainly spoiled the trip almost as much as the game!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, min said:

The list only appeared to cover trains from Metz, couldn't see any relevant info. for Lorraine TGV station. All ended up ok, but the uncertainty of not knowing when/how I was getting home certainly spoiled the trip almost as much as the game!

I felt like this too with travelling alone.

21 hours ago, min said:

Would you not have required to get from Metz to Lorraine, where I am sure a similar notice would have been posted?

2 hours ago, BUFF 1875 said:

Would you not have required to get from Metz to Lorraine, where I am sure a similar notice would have been posted?

I had a single ticket covering: shuttle bus from Metz station to Lorraine station and then TGV from Lorraine to CDG.

Like I said, it was alright in the end.

22 hours ago, irnbruman said:

So if you never got your ticket checked, can you claim a refund if your original train was cancelled?

You can definitely get a refund. I have already had my references checked and had it confirmed. I got mine from SNCF French site and need to do it at an SNCF station ticket window or boutique (none in UK). I think you have 60 days to do it.....but I am going there in three weeks so am sorted!! Both trains cancelled....no tickets checked on alternative trains....€140 coming back to me for 2 x return journeys!!

Not sure what the situation is if you bought via UK SNCF site??

9 minutes ago, ScotsRik said:

You can definitely get a refund. I have already had my references checked and had it confirmed. I got mine from SNCF French site and need to do it at an SNCF station ticket window or boutique (none in UK). I think you have 60 days to do it.....but I am going there in three weeks so am sorted!! Both trains cancelled....no tickets checked on alternative trains....€140 coming back to me for 2 x return journeys!!

Not sure what the situation is if you bought via UK SNCF site??

First trip from Paris to Metz was part of Eurostar ticket from London to Metz. Return journey was £30 first class bought online from SNCF. Will wait till ive sobered up properly from the trip before bothering my brain cells  

On 6/7/2016 at 11:21 AM, Odie said:

They were checking tickets on the 11:38 TER from Metz back to Luxembourg but were accepting tickets for later trains, I had a ticket for the 15:08 TGV but the ticket office told me I could use it on earlier trains so I headed up to Luxembourg earlier to avoid any hassles later in the day.

I got the 8.33 from Metz to Luxembourg. Quite a few Jocks on the train and no sign of a ticket collector!!

I got the 8.33 from Metz to Luxembourg. Quite a few Jocks on the train and no sign of a ticket collector!!

With the 35 hour maximum working week that they're striking to protect, I'd be surprised if a French train conductor was even out of bed at that time! ;-)

48 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Jocks ? Have I just woke up in the 70's ?  :lol:

A well used Army term for Scottish regiments soldiers. Used much in the same way as squaddie.

Dont know if the OP was in the Army or not.

J

11 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

A well used Army term for Scottish regiments soldiers. Used much in the same way as squaddie.

J

My dad was in an English artillery regiment from 1939-1941 and was known as "Jock". He then transferred to the Seaforths for the rest of the war in response to a request for Scots soldiers to fill the ranks of a reconstituted 51st Division. He was known as Jock until the day he died. Neither he nor I saw it as a target for derision, frankly!!

My dad was in an English artillery regiment from 1939-1941 and was known as "Jock". He then transferred to the Seaforths for the rest of the war in response to a request for Scots soldiers to fill the ranks of a reconstituted 51st Division. He was known as Jock until the day he died. Neither he nor I saw it as a target for derision, frankly!!

Casual racism. Vile, frankly. Sturgeon must condemn.

Guest BlueGaz
14 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Jocks ? Have I just woke up in the 70's ?  :lol:

In the army, the Scots Regiments' privates are known as Jocks.  Elsewhere in the army, probably the military actually, people from Scotland generally are nicknamed Jock.  Some stick, some don't.  The military is quite big on nick names for some reason.  I have known quite a lot of people for 25 years and still not sure what their first name is, just know them by their nick name.  Taff and Paddy are quite popular too.

Edited by BlueGaz

16 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

Doesn't make it any less insulting. 

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Doesn't make it any less insulting. 

Don't know, it's just an every day word.

Much like you or I would say, "the guys love nothing more than to piss about".

They would say "the Jocks love nothing more than to piss about".

J

12 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Don't know, it's just an every day word.

Much like you or I would say, "the guys love nothing more than to piss about".

They would say "the Jocks love nothing more than to piss about".

J

Charming.