Proposed French Rail Strike - Page 6 - France v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Proposed French Rail Strike

13 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Don't know, it's just an every day word.

Much like you or I would say, "the guys love nothing more than to piss about".

They would say "the Jocks love nothing more than to piss about".

J

What about Sweatie then, is that just an everyday word?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, aaid said:

What about Sweatie then, is that just an everyday word?

No, of course not.

I think you are all missing the point. In the context of Scottish regiments the squaddies (ie the rank and file) are all referred to as "the Jocks".

I remember chatting to a Corporal in the Black Watch, and he referred to his men as "the Jocks". There was no malice, it was just well established Army slang.

Like making a brew (tea) or going for some scoff (food).

J

4 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

No, of course not.

I think you are all missing the point. In the context of Scottish regiments the squaddies (ie the rank and file) are all referred to as "the Jocks".

I remember chatting to a Corporal in the Black Watch, and he referred to his men as "the Jocks". There was no malice, it was just well established Army slang.

Like making a brew (tea) or going for some scoff (food).

J

So the Scots are called Jocks, the Irish are Paddies or Micks, the Welsh are Taffs.  What's the British Army slang for the English then?

7 hours ago, aaid said:

So the Scots are called Jocks, the Irish are Paddies or Micks, the Welsh are Taffs.  What's the British Army slang for the English then?

I'm not defending it, just letting you know how it is.

And no in the Welsh regiments the squadddies arnt called Taffs. And in the Irish regiments they are not called paddies. But in Scottish regiments, the men are called "The Jocks".

And it's not a new thing, here's a very good account of WW2 from a Soldier in the Kings Own Scottish Boarders and their fight in the Rhine Campaign. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jocks-Soldiers-Struggle-Europe-1944-45/dp/0750930578

Title of the book - With the Jocks

Booked ours through credit card and got in touch with them to say our train on the way home was cancelled and the only trains running on the Sunday were unsuitable for our flight home and wondered if there was any possibility of getting our money back.. About 3 days later got contact that we would be getting a refund. Was only expecting it for the return journey but they refunded the whole lot!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

After reading this I sent them an email using the link on this page: http://help.uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/contact

I gave them my booking reference number and a few other details. Within half an hour I got a reply saying I would be getting a refund.

Brill thanks im on holiday  just now but willdo it when I ge home!

38 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

There was no quibble with me. They said because the actual train we were booked on was cancelled on return trip we were entitled to full refund.

They refund cash onto your card?

If they do, the fall in the £ means i'll be up even further!

I was booked on the 11.57 from Metz to Paris Est on Sunday 5th.

When I got to the station I found out it had been cancelled due to the strike.

After speaking to various people & fretting how I was going to get home if I missed my flight I was given alternative travel that would get me to CDG in time for my flight. As alternative transport had been provided for me I didn't think of trying to get a refund until I saw the messages on here. I sent an email to Go Euro who I booked with yesterday & got a reply today saying they will be refunding me the 62 euro's that it cost.

Thanks to all on here that messaged about it & made an expensive trip a wee bit cheaper.

1 hour ago, YORKIE PAM said:

I was booked on the 11.57 from Metz to Paris Est on Sunday 5th.

When I got to the station I found out it had been cancelled due to the strike.

After speaking to various people & fretting how I was going to get home if I missed my flight I was given alternative travel that would get me to CDG in time for my flight. As alternative transport had been provided for me I didn't think of trying to get a refund until I saw the messages on here. I sent an email to Go Euro who I booked with yesterday & got a reply today saying they will be refunding me the 62 euro's that it cost.

Thanks to all on here that messaged about it & made an expensive trip a wee bit cheaper.

Would you mind telling me roughly what you said and the email address you sent it to as we used Go Euro. Were both your trains cancelled or just one? It was only 1 of ours so dont know whether to say as it was the way there we didnt go.

2 hours ago, laurataylordu said:

Would you mind telling me roughly what you said and the email address you sent it to as we used Go Euro. Were both your trains cancelled or just one? It was only 1 of ours so dont know whether to say as it was the way there we didnt go.

The website is posted further back. I just stated my reference number and train times and received a full refund :ok:

7 hours ago, bonzo said:

The website is posted further back. I just stated my reference number and train times and received a full refund :ok:

The link doesnt take me to somewhere that I can fund to send an email link it takes me to a SNCF page  that says can we help you then a list of greaan boxes. Did you just type a question in the wee box?

1 hour ago, laurataylordu said:

The link doesnt take me to somewhere that I can fund to send an email link it takes me to a SNCF page  that says can we help you then a list of greaan boxes. Did you just type a question in the wee box?

I put my reason is not listed and then my details in the comments box.