Proposed French Rail Strike - France v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Proposed French Rail Strike

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bertie Big Bobble said:

It looks as if the rail strike is going ahead meaning possible train disruptions and cancellations between Paris and Metz. For anybody wanting a back up Megabus do that route for £5 - £10 each way

was having a look  , seemed to about twenty quid each way  , seems to leave from near gare de lyon so might be tricky getting there with no trains possibly or even metro

Looked up Sunday trains Metz to Luxembourg and so far so good. 

I've just download the SNCF app, its very good. Its in French but easily navigable, you can add your train to the My Journeys section and if you have booked online your booking is saved on the app (dont forget you will need to pick up your actual tickets at the station as this is just a reservation).

21 hours ago, Bertie Big Bobble said:

It looks as if the rail strike is going ahead meaning possible train disruptions and cancellations between Paris and Metz. For anybody wanting a back up Megabus do that route for £5 - £10 each way

Just booked on Megabus for back up as I was getting worried with travelling alone.

2 hours ago, Bertie Big Bobble said:

It's a "rolling" strike whatever that means. Looking at today all day trains Paris to Metz aren't running but starting again tonight

Where do you find that info.? I've been on the SNCF site and see the disruption warning, but can't get info. on specific trains / routes.

3 hours ago, Bertie Big Bobble said:

It's a "rolling" strike whatever that means. Looking at today all day trains Paris to Metz aren't running but starting again tonight

I'm booked on the 10.50 tomorrow, no idea what will happen

Luckily irish Maltese coffees seem to be making the situation less stressful

48 minutes ago, min said:

Where do you find that info.? I've been on the SNCF site and see the disruption warning, but can't get info. on specific trains / routes.

There is a page on the SNCF site that tells you the latest live times I'm on the 19.40 tomorrow and its says its running but check again later.

I am getting a flight into Luxembourg arriving at 13.35 tomorrow and returning on Sunday leaving Luxembourg at 14.55. I have booked on the TGV from Luxembourg to Metz. If the train is cancelled i was thinking about hiring a car to travel to Metz, if anyone would like to share the cost and driving etc, please let me know.

51 minutes ago, Bertie Big Bobble said:

It was on the France 24 website

i book the train weeks ago. i'v also had a look at various websites and one of the site said that internation rail services are not affected by the strikes but with the french unions anything is possible. BBC news has just said the the airtrafic controllers will no longer be active in these strikes so does that mean that rail workers will follow suit, who knows, i will only find out when i turn up at Luxembourg train station tomorrow.

I've just received an email saying my Milan to Paris train on Friday is cancelled. I booked direct on SNCF website. I've not received anything about my Paris - Metz train, booked separately, so hopefully still running (assuming I can get a cheap flight).

25 minutes ago, f4bes said:

i book the train weeks ago. i'v also had a look at various websites and one of the site said that internation rail services are not affected by the strikes but with the french unions anything is possible. BBC news has just said the the airtrafic controllers will no longer be active in these strikes so does that mean that rail workers will follow suit, who knows, i will only find out when i turn up at Luxembourg train station tomorrow.

That won't be right. The 18.40 Paris - Metz - Lux didn't run tonight. 17.40, 19;40 and 20.40 all ran. Not sure if there was a 21.40 due but it doesn't seem to be running if there was one scheduled. 

I know from when I came to book trains that the 18.40 was quite a bit more expensive than the trains before and after it so I am assuming this may have been main commuter train (?), probably busiest out of Paris each night and therefore most disruptive target for strike.

Ryanair have just put up a list of cancelled flights for tomorrow - mostly all from and to France to continental Europe None from Scotland that I can see but if you're connecting anywhere, best check

Edited by diane0805

Ryanair - 65 flights cancelled so far tomorrow " Unfortunately, further flight delays and cancellations are likely and customers are asked to please monitor this notice which will be updated throughout the day.

Easyjet - 

We have been advised of a French Air Traffic Control strike between the 2nd and 5th June 2016, which is part of the current on-going industrial action in France.

Approximately 65% of our flights fly over French airspace, which means we are expecting a large impact to our flying programme.  We have been working very hard to minimise the impact on our customers, but just like other airlines, we have been forced to cancel flights ahead of the strike. 

FML!

We are/were booked on TGV that has been cancelled (10.29am Thursday one).   I entered the train number here on SNCF website from our booking, and found that out.   We're already in Paris, so went along to Gare de l'Est where there were folks in red beside the platforms to help.

They took us to an info desk where a laissez faire chap told us we could turn up for two alternative trains.   Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I got an email from SNCF last night to say my train from Paris - Metz has been cancelled. They were already few and far between and the next one is two hours later....showing as full, but just going to have to jump on it!! It was supposed to be thwe 15:40 on Friday.