Gordon Strachan - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Strachan

Shaun

Having seen some of the comments on here and the hotline in the Daily Record after Sunday, my simple question is this.

WHAT THE HELL IS EVERYONES PROBLEM WITH STRACHAN!!!?

He is our best manager in a very long time yet, ever since the last campaign, certain people want him GONE which is totally ridiculous, first of all, who will, realistically, replace him.

For me, he gets the WHOLE of the upcoming campaign to get us to a major tournament and I fully believe he can get us there but if not then questions can be asked as to why but if we fail, I sense he will resign anyway, especially if these stupid doubters continue to doubt and slate him.

Rant over, I just find it ludicrous that some moaners want a change!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allyc

Things improved for a while when Strachan took over.but he blew our best chance to qualify for a tournament in years.There has been a number of inept Performances against Ireland,Georgia and most recently Italy.he has become increasingly arrogant at press conferences and interviews with the insistence that we can't blame him cos he simply doesn't have the players...his post match ' celebrations after victory over the mighty Gibraltar were cringe worthy after epic failure.his tactics and player selections are becoming more and more questionable....

Edited by allyc

Guest BlueGaz

I agree and disagree with you.  I don't think he is the right man for the job, but I agree with your question, who is?  So realistically, when he was appointed, although I don't like him he was probably the best person available at the time.  I also believe he blew the chance for qualification, but he has another good chance now and I am content he gets this last opportunity.  I am the type of person that doesn't always blame the manager.  I think a lot of our players let us down in the last campaign and should take a lot of the responsibility for not qualifying.  They need to step up to the plate more often and take control.  But do we have the quality at this level to be able to do that, I have my doubts.

The majority of the players just don't have the qualityto compete consistently. Surely folk can see that? Look at what clubs they play for. I totally agree with what he said about if we had an ibrohimovich, or a Bale in our squad. We have no where near that quality and that is why 9 times out of 10 we'll always struggle. Realistically can the Strachan doubters advise on which of our players over 90 mins are going to trouble England and Slovakia so much that we'd beat them?

Edited by JECK

44 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I agree and disagree with you.  I don't think he is the right man for the job, but I agree with your question, who is?  So realistically, when he was appointed, although I don't like him he was probably the best person available at the time.  I also believe he blew the chance for qualification, but he has another good chance now and I am content he gets this last opportunity.  I am the type of person that doesn't always blame the manager.  I think a lot of our players let us down in the last campaign and should take a lot of the responsibility for not qualifying.  They need to step up to the plate more often and take control.  But do we have the quality at this level to be able to do that, I have my doubts.

The players have to take a massive amount of the blame, especially for the Georgia game. Their decision making at times, especially in that game cost us, Steven Fletcher going for the ball with his left foot rather than his right when one on one with the keeper. He does that, he scores and we probably win the game.

For me Strachan is up against it now and really needs to stop bleating on about likes of Bale and Ibrohimovich and starting praising the guys we've got. I'm concerned he's getting into Craig Levein territory by basically saying our players are s**t what more can I do, he starts doing that he'll loose them very quickly.

I fully expect us to compete again in the group and would say are Slovakia and Slovenia any better than ROI and Poland? Possibly not, certainly on a par. I can see it panning out similar, we'll probably be in a good position come September 2017 and then loose in Lithuania.

Guest allyc

Everyone knows we don't have the players..we didn't have them when Strachan took and we don't have them now.that is not a light bulb moment.Strachan is now struggling to get the best out of his players imo...

Just now, allyc said:

Everyone knows we don't have the players..we didn't have them when Strachan took and we don't have them now.that is not a light bulb moment.Strachan is now struggling to get the best out of his players imo...

Northern Ireland the prime example of what happens when you do that and get a system they are comfortable with, they've have also adapted their system for the Euros to a 3-5-2

Guest allyc

Exactly...more than just about having the players.it's about instilling confidence and adopting a mentality.Strachan and Macgee seem only too happy to remind us of how average we are.that must play on players minds coupled with the continued failure or self destruction that Scottish teams have become know for.

18 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

For me Strachan is up against it now and really needs to stop bleating on about likes of Bale and Ibrohimovich and starting praising the guys we've got. I'm concerned he's getting into Craig Levein territory by basically saying our players are s**t what more can I do, he starts doing that he'll loose them very quickly.

I don't read those comments that way. To me he's saying that Sweden and Wales as groups of players are no better than us but that they each have one world class player that makes the difference.  I think that's fair comment. 

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't read those comments that way. To me he's saying that Sweden and Wales as groups of players are no better than us but that they each have one world class player that makes the difference.  I think that's fair comment. 

I agreed with him as well when I first heard it and he's right, but he's got to stop going on about it, almost every time he asked he mentions it.

Guest allyc

We need a performance against France.don't mind losing the game as is pretty much expected but we must give them a go.

I agree am sick of moaning Scotland fans wanting him to go and folk actually want McLeish and Smith back when I hear that I laugh.  Strachan has stayed loyal to us and 1 result cost us from qualifying against Georgia last campaign we won that we got 3rd and a play off spot. we were just unlucky Ireland got 4 points of Germany, honestly who would thought of that.  We took 4 or Ireland and would have taken 4 of Poland (am sure we wouldn't lost that lost minute goal at home against them if stadium never went flat when heard Irish beat Germans) We have had some great results with Strachan beating Croatia away, Czech away etc We are at least competing again and not losing by 3  or more goals against likes of Wales.  Folk have a short memory and need to be realistic, we don't have superstars and we are really struggling for good young central defenders coming through, no one coming through better than what we have the now.  We shouldn't read to much into the Italy game we were missing a lot of players and these games are just about getting squad together as they don't get a lot of time together.  Back Strachan and stop moaning ffs, he deserves until end of campaign at least to get us to qualify, judge him on the qualifiers and not silly friendlies!

12 minutes ago, Geed said:

I agree am sick of moaning Scotland fans wanting him to go and folk actually want McLeish and Smith back when I hear that I laugh.  Strachan has stayed loyal to us and 1 result cost us from qualifying against Georgia last campaign we won that we got 3rd and a play off spot. we were just unlucky Ireland got 4 points of Germany, honestly who would thought of that.  We took 4 or Ireland and would have taken 4 of Poland (am sure we wouldn't lost that lost minute goal at home against them if stadium never went flat when heard Irish beat Germans) We have had some great results with Strachan beating Croatia away, Czech away etc We are at least competing again and not losing by 3  or more goals against likes of Wales.  Folk have a short memory and need to be realistic, we don't have superstars and we are really struggling for good young central defenders coming through, no one coming through better than what we have the now.  We shouldn't read to much into the Italy game we were missing a lot of players and these games are just about getting squad together as they don't get a lot of time together.  Back Strachan and stop moaning ffs, he deserves until end of campaign at least to get us to qualify, judge him on the qualifiers and not silly friendlies!

Aye, it was pish winning games under Smith & McLeish.

If Strachan was judged on qualifiers rather than in friendlies he'd already be sacked.

6 minutes ago, deecie said:

Aye, it was pish winning games under Smith & McLeish.

If Strachan was judged on qualifiers rather than in friendlies he'd already be sacked.

We have won games under Strachan too, McLeish and Walter Smith jumped ship, Strachan stayed with us and has done a good job no matter what you think.

Do not think Strachan should go (as let's face it, there is not a big list of instant replacement and any manager who does come in will still have the same pool of players to pick from) but I do think he needs to change his idea's a little bit.

After a disastrous start, his run from beating Croatia in Zagreb right through to almost Ireland at Celtic Park was great (granted the odd blip here and there inbetween, but nothing that we didn't just shrug off) but since then it's been a steady decline through a mixture of odd tactical choices (if any other manager had tried what we did against Gibraltar at Hampden, major questions would have been asked) and continued selection of his favourite players who were majorly off form at both club and international level.

Sunday was poor, but Italy clearly had one eye on the Euros, so we actually made them look better than they were (do not think many people are disappointed by the result, but it's mainly the performance that is annoying) and I am somewhat expecting a do'ing off the French in Metz this week.... So no need to hit the panic button just now.

Come the qualifiers, I think England will run away with the group (and will probably qualify pretty early), with us flighting it out with Slovakia and Slovenia for 2nd place (going to be tough, but do not think they are any more difficult than what Poland and Ireland were... As long as England don't drop silly points to them like Germany did to Ireland and Poland, that will be a major plus).

I think we were genuinely unlucky in that last campaign, on paper there was only really 2 "bad results" away to Georgia and home to Poland. Also, Ireland picking up 4 points from Germany was a bit of a freak. Whilst I do think Strachan has his favourites and is maybe a bit stubborn with tactics, I don't think anyone would have done a better job for us last campaign? 

41 minutes ago, Geed said:

We have won games under Strachan too, McLeish and Walter Smith jumped ship, Strachan stayed with us and has done a good job no matter what you think.

No he hasn't. Both the football and results have been terrible under Strachan, no matter what you think.

21 minutes ago, TartanDave said:

I think we were genuinely unlucky in that last campaign, on paper there was only really 2 "bad results" away to Georgia and home to Poland. Also, Ireland picking up 4 points from Germany was a bit of a freak. Whilst I do think Strachan has his favourites and is maybe a bit stubborn with tactics, I don't think anyone would have done a better job for us last campaign? 

Would agree on that (would maybe add Dublin into that mix also as we could hardly put two passes together in the first half because he had got his tactics wrong)..... Though results wise we are not doing to badly, it seems to be for the last year or so we do not have that hunger/drive of controlling games that we showed under Stachan previously.

31 minutes ago, deecie said:

No he hasn't. Both the football and results have been terrible under Strachan, no matter what you think.

Agree with this. Also bizarre squad choices and once again seem to be missing a chance to freshen things up and dump tried and tested failures/deadwood...

3 hours ago, bossman4 said:

Totally agree with this.

There is certainly an element that you can argue we were unlucky, the Germans hadn't lost a qualifier since October 2007 before this campaign but that doesn't excuse the poor performances from Dublin onwards. Just hope he's learned from sticking with guys not cutting it and will give some of the younger guys he's introduced this year chances in the qualifiers.

Said it a hundred times before, the favourites (Brown, Hutton, S Fletcher, Maloney, Mulgrew) really need to go. 

It's good that he has started to bring young players (McGinn, Burke, Tierney, Paterson) into the team and give them some experience, so there's hope that his stubbornness is wearing off a little.

However if we did replace him, we shouldn't go for a Scot as his replacement. It has to be a foreigner and wouldn't mind if he were English either.

Read a few posts then thought I would post

I have no doubt Gordon has done his best for us and steadied the ship

WHY not try somebody else...

We do not have world beaters...............nor do Northern Ireland ?

Bring in new ideas !

Change systems !

Gordon keeps saying we have no world beaters bla bla..

What if some guy comes in and says we have !!...............confidence man.

Change needed no offence to Strachan