Muhammad Ali - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world was a totally different place 50 years ago - never mind growing up in the deep south in the 40s and 50s

The interracial views held by Ali were commonplace which is why there was no outcry

The only unusual thing was that it was a black man holding these views and not a white man

Edited by Ally Bongo

I think the memories of Ali will mean much more to the folk who grew up during the 60s and 70s than to the folk from younger generations. It's a wee bit more difficult to understand what the times were like, if they didn't live through them.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I think the memories of Ali will mean much more to the folk who grew up during the 60s and 70s than to the folk from younger generations. It's a wee bit more difficult to understand what the times were like, if they didn't live through them.

:ok:

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Did he not try to do that to all his opponents? It was all part of the spectacle.

He probably did more to promote boxing than any other single person has done for any sport. At his peak most of the world's population would have known who Muhammad Ali was. He was probably more famous than any other sportsman ever.

Nah it was Frasier and way over the top considering FRasier had supported him financially when he couldn't fight. You can be great without being good.

7 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I would argue Ali was not the greatest of all time. Most boxing commentators through the years have Sugar Ray Robinson at the top of the list

Ali would agree, he used to follow Sugar Ray about and copy his boxing style , what was amazing was it was done in a heavyweights body as opposed to a Welterweights.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Every human is constantly imperfect and has faults. Ali was no different from all of us....no-one should be deified.

Saying that, it would be utterly churlish to deny Ali's genius as a boxer, his influence in turning boxing from a back room sport in the 1970's into major box office, and his part played in the civil rights movement in the United States. 

This was the man who won a gold medal as an Olympic boxer, then went back to his home town and was refused service in a restaurant because he was black. 

He broke down barriers, and helped change perceptions. He was, like all of us, completely imperfect.

But he deserves to be just kindly by history.

i heard someone on the radio today say he was "the greatest boxer of all time and possibly the greatest human being" 

wtf?!? :lol: 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

i heard someone on the radio today say he was "the greatest boxer of all time and possibly the greatest human being" 

wtf?!? :lol: 

I certainly thought that as did billions of others

4 minutes ago, Only One Stop said:

The usual utter khunts showing their true (white power) colours to deny the sporting and human quality of The Greatest. 

Dont need to call them out, they know who they are. 

Drama Queen alert everyone.

19 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Always kinda believed that the ' ain't no Viet Cong called me Nigger', was a bit of an urban myth, the sort of thing you would like him to have said but he never really did, but it's true, in fact that whole vid previously posted is almost unbelievable.

Sadly it was the Nation of Islam that gave him that statement and if i hadnt been too inquisitive i could have kept believing it was of his own doing

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sadly it was the Nation of Islam that gave him that statement and if i hadnt been too inquisitive i could have kept believing it was of his own doing

Sadly or otherwise it was right. Just because he had 'scriptwriters' so what,he still stood up and said it. Cassius Clay, his slave name, perfectly correct, it was. I know my parents history, my grandparents, my great grandparents and further if I was that interested. I'd be a bit miffed if I knew my forefathers had been forcibly ensalved and wouldn't be that keen on there enslavers. Point was you can't go and start measuring peoples values with 2016 UK morals in a 1960's American society.

Maybe it's just I don't want those grainy memories of my childhood fcuked with.

I was reading a post by Max Kellerman earlier and he made the point about how famous Ali was and with zero internet,selfies,blogs, 24 hours news etc.

No sure the white power comment is that rational, sounds like someone got a bit maudlin in their cups.

Joe Frasiers kids got bullied cause of what Ali said about him, house attacked etc, all done to a man that had helped him immensely during his time out, helped him get back in helped financially, as soon as the fight was signed Ali just went after him a bad bad way. Ofc Frasier should have let it go when he dropped Ali on his arse with that left hook and beat him.

I prefer my heroes to have faults, it makes their accomplishments all the greater in my opinion. I saw in the documentary last night what he said about women and though it disgusting but I also noticed his daughters seemed loving, talkative and proud of him so I choose to put his misogynistic comments down to a certain time in his life and his beliefs at that time too. Others will disagree as is their right. I don't for a minute think he was the greatest human being of all time but I do think he was the greatest sportsman. Known throughout the world, brought boxing to masses of people who wouldn't have been interested before he arrived in the scene, funny, angry, driven, selfish, egotistical, great, loving, fighter for rights for those less fortunate than himself, handsome with a glint in his eye that made me smile and a loving dad, albeit not a great husband. Flawed and therefore just like all other humans but genius sportsman. 

24 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I prefer my heroes to have faults, it makes their accomplishments all the greater in my opinion. I saw in the documentary last night what he said about women and though it disgusting but I also noticed his daughters seemed loving, talkative and proud of him so I choose to put his misogynistic comments down to a certain time in his life and his beliefs at that time too. Others will disagree as is their right. I don't for a minute think he was the greatest human being of all time but I do think he was the greatest sportsman. Known throughout the world, brought boxing to masses of people who wouldn't have been interested before he arrived in the scene, funny, angry, driven, selfish, egotistical, great, loving, fighter for rights for those less fortunate than himself, handsome with a glint in his eye that made me smile and a loving dad, albeit not a great husband. Flawed and therefore just like all other humans but genius sportsman. 

Well said.

Load of tw£ts on here expect him to be politically correct? The Kk Klan were still lynching folk when he became world champion. He took his stand and stuck to his beliefs. 

http://thenewcolloquium.com/the-day-i-met-muhammad-ali/

"Growing up in the era of Ali, The Beatles, American Civil Rights, John F. Kennedy and Bob Dylan, gave millions of us belief that the future was bright and golden; just……better.

It didn’t quite work out that way, did it? I’d rather live in the ‘now’ than the ‘then’, but you have to admit that a world where Donald Trump is targeting The White House is not such a bright, glittering world as one where JFK, Muhammad Ali and The Beatles are just starting out".