Muhammad Ali - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memories centre around listening to his fights on the radio. Not a great fan of boxing these days but this man represents a bygone age when boxing was genuinely about the sport and the spectacle in the ring. These days its all about the marketing and hype around the fight and fans being ripped off.

What a guy, the sport may have given him immortality, but also gave him a long lingering death.  But he seemed to cope magnificently with his problems. He wasn't particularly faithful to his former wives, and apologised to a few others for things he said.  But he gave inspiration to millions and undoubtedly changed the world,

2 hours ago, Mox said:

An icon and a great boxer although my opinion of him was always soured by his treatment of George Foreman (I think it was him) in the lead up to one of their fights.

Did he not try to do that to all his opponents? It was all part of the spectacle.

He probably did more to promote boxing than any other single person has done for any sport. At his peak most of the world's population would have known who Muhammad Ali was. He was probably more famous than any other sportsman ever.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Did he not try to do that to all his opponents? It was all part of the spectacle.

He was probably the first to start using these antics to get under his opponents skin, unsettle them before the contest. Sure I read somewhere that before one of his Championship fights he hired a bus, painted on the side he'd win in 6 or something and then drove round in the middle of the night and woke up the neighbour and champ for everyone to read this!!! Makes dressing up as a superhero normal....

8 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

He was probably the first to start using these antics to get under his opponents skin, unsettle them before the contest. Sure I read somewhere that before one of his Championship fights he hired a bus, painted on the side he'd win in 6 or something and then drove round in the middle of the night and woke up the neighbour and champ for everyone to read this!!! Makes dressing up as a superhero normal....

Gorgeous George.

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I would argue Ali was not the greatest of all time. 

I would agree. Also not a particularly nice man. Rascist, philandering and mysoginistic spring immediately to mind.

Joe Frazier pretty much called it right.

Edited by neil r

What was the Parkinson interview about when he was super arsey for some reason? 

Frazier hated him after he smeared him as an Uncle Tom. Quite rightly so as that was a khunt thing to do by Ali. Frazier used to say he done that when he saw Ali on TV and clearly suffering the effects of his illness. He hated him!

Edited by thplinth

9 hours ago, Mox said:

An icon and a great boxer although my opinion of him was always soured by his treatment of George Foreman (I think it was him) in the lead up to one of their fights.

You're thinking of Joe Frazier before the "thrilla in Manila". He continuously referred to Frazier as an "Uncle Tom". This after Frazier had helped Ali both publicity wise and financially during Ali's suspension. I wrongly recommend "Ghost of Manilla" by Mark Kram if anyone wants to read more in to this  

Ali's treatment or Ernie Terrel was also disgusting. A friend of Ali who Ali turned on badly. 

All this before we even go in to his involvement with Malcom X and the Nation of Islam. 

The deifying of Ali bemuses me to be honest. 

Seen this posted earlier on Facebook...

I've never been into boxing and never will...There's some great chat in this by Ali and Cus D'Amato. I thought it was a sketch until about 10 seconds in. Excellent stuff.

EDIT...Muhammad Ali was absolutely superb in this. (0:50 in particular!)

Edited by derekfaejapan

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

You're thinking of Joe Frazier before the "thrilla in Manila". He continuously referred to Frazier as an "Uncle Tom". This after Frazier had helped Ali both publicity wise and financially during Ali's suspension. I wrongly recommend "Ghost of Manilla" by Mark Kram if anyone wants to read more in to this  

Ali's treatment or Ernie Terrel was also disgusting. A friend of Ali who Ali turned on badly. 

All this before we even go in to his involvement with Malcom X and the Nation of Islam. 

The deifying of Ali bemuses me to be honest. 

Every human is constantly imperfect and has faults. Ali was no different from all of us....no-one should be deified.

Saying that, it would be utterly churlish to deny Ali's genius as a boxer, his influence in turning boxing from a back room sport in the 1970's into major box office, and his part played in the civil rights movement in the United States. 

This was the man who won a gold medal as an Olympic boxer, then went back to his home town and was refused service in a restaurant because he was black. 

He broke down barriers, and helped change perceptions. He was, like all of us, completely imperfect.

But he deserves to be just kindly by history.

18 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Every human is constantly imperfect and has faults. Ali was no different from all of us....no-one should be deified.

Saying that, it would be utterly churlish to deny Ali's genius as a boxer, his influence in turning boxing from a back room sport in the 1970's into major box office, and his part played in the civil rights movement in the United States. 

This was the man who won a gold medal as an Olympic boxer, then went back to his home town and was refused service in a restaurant because he was black. 

He broke down barriers, and helped change perceptions. He was, like all of us, completely imperfect.

But he deserves to be just kindly by history.

I concur.