Strachan..out...poll - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan..out...poll

scotsgary2

28 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Plus, in the qualifiers it was only the Georgia result that was bad.

Really, so why are we the only home nation not at the Euros then? Not even good enough for a playoff with only one bad result? We only won one game against our main opposition in the group and as you say lost against Georgia, when all our rivals got maximum points against them. Not good enough.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Really, so why are we the only home nation not at the Euros then? Not even good enough for a playoff with only one bad result? We only won one game against our main opposition in the group and as you say lost against Georgia, when all our rivals got maximum points against them. Not good enough.

Take it you an out then pal ?

I've given up mate because I'm fed up of watching pish. I've been going a lot longer than some on here and a lot less than a few others. For me there is no enjoyment anymore. I was fully behind Strachan's appointment, however his squad selections and comments of late have switched me off. I am no longer prepared to fork out hundreds of pounds, use up holiday time and blindly follow my country all over the world. Good luck to those who still are. There is absolutely no chance of Scotland qualifying any time soon for any tournament and I think the vast majority of us know that.

The SFA have a lot to answer for in helping me make my decision.

I do like how you have started this thread but are not prepared to say who you feel we should get in. The best manager in the world wouldn't be able to get us to a tournament. We simply do not have the players. We also don't have young kids with the mindset of being 100% professional 100% of the time and applying themselves.

6 minutes ago, Exglasgowasc said:

I've given up mate because I'm fed up of watching pish. I've been going a lot longer than some on here and a lot less than a few others. For me there is no enjoyment anymore. I was fully behind Strachan's appointment, however his squad selections and comments of late have switched me off. I am no longer prepared to fork out hundreds of pounds, use up holiday time and blindly follow my country all over the world. Good luck to those who still are. There is absolutely no chance of Scotland qualifying any time soon for any tournament and I think the vast majority of us know that.

The SFA have a lot to answer for in helping me make my decision.

1 minute ago, Exglasgowasc said:

I do like how you have started this thread but are not prepared to say who you feel we should get in. The best manager in the world wouldn't be able to get us to a tournament. We simply do not have the players. We also don't have young kids with the mindset of being 100% professional 100% of the time and applying themselves.

Why?

If your not happy do you put up with it or sort it out..

A new approach from who ever pal eh or as you said put up with it and lose interest !!

10 minutes ago, Exglasgowasc said:

C'mon then who do you bring in? In my opinion the best manager in the world (whoever that might be) couldn't do anything. As stated, we simply do not have the talent.

Neither do the Irelands, yet both of them are at the Euros this summer, one if them at our expense. 

4 minutes ago, scotsgary2 said:

you the man

Cheers, I think. The thing is, before this Euros, we could hide behind this "the players are crap" excuse, but now, look at the teams that as there. No disrespect to them but do N Ireland, Rep Ireland, Iceland, Albania, Slovakia, and Hungary generally have better players than us. I'm sure somebody will come back with mentioning Hamsik  playing for Napoli or Sigurrdson at Swansea,  but can many people name many more of the players from Iceland or Slovakia playing at the top level?

4 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Cheers, I think. The thing is, before this Euros, we could hide behind this "the players are crap" excuse, but now, look at the teams that as there. No disrespect to them but do N Ireland, Rep Ireland, Iceland, Albania, Slovakia, and Hungary generally have better players than us. I'm sure somebody will come back with mentioning Hamsik  playing for Napoli or Sigurrdson at Swansea,  but can many people name many more of the players from Iceland or Slovakia playing at the top level?

The Republic of Ireland marginally do yes. Iceland are considerably better than us.

2 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Sadly I happen to think we have some decent players..

Maybe iam mistaken here but iam sure being told by your manager you are no world beaters helps your young confidence...

Anyways keep posting negative guys your happy with your shite.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The Republic of Ireland marginally do yes. Iceland are considerably better than us.

Really? Not exactly a team of world beaters,  but they do have a good manager. 

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/teams/team=58/squad/index.html

3 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Aye, remember which country he was very interested in coaching a few years back....? :(

Which also goes to show the benefits of appointing a foreign manager with no ties to the nation in question :ok:

9 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

It could be two wins and three draws...

I'll rephrase, we shouldn't  put be accepting dropped points. We need to start taking wins from our rivals and the top seeds if we are going to qualify. Especially for a World Cup where qualification is tougher 

Edited by vanderark14

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

This is a pointless poll because a new deal up until 2020 is imminent!!

I keep asking you yet get no answer, who else is there realistically!!?

I am sick of this Gordon witchhunt after 2 friendly losses to ITALY and FRANCE, ffs it wasn't Kosovo or the Faroes!!

Plus, in the qualifiers it was only the Georgia result that was bad, the sane Georgia that beat Alex McLeish's Scotland yet he got off with a slating, its as if its Rangers fans wanting Gordon sacked.

So SHUT UP and get it into your thick heads that Gordon ain't going anywhere! 

Unless he reads on here because these posts would lead to him resigning.

Rant over hahahaha.

ps, I am not shy to call for managers heads as those who know me will know, very early on in the season, I was calling for John Hughes' sacking.

Only the Georgia result was bad? Yet we've not qualified, Has any other team failed to qualify with just 1 bad result? We took 6 points from a possible 18 in games against qualification our rivals. That allied to the embarrassment in Georgia is why we're at home. 

Alex McLeish "got off with a slating" as he had an excellent record as Scotland manager (70% win ratio), including giving us the best victory in our history. 

Strachan hasn't given us much at all and has given us absolutely nothing in the last 18 months. There has to be serious questions asked over where we are going under Strachan. You insulting everyone who thinks this doesn't add validity yo your point of view, it just makes you look daft. 

8 hours ago, Exglasgowasc said:

I disagree. While our playing squad clearly isn't as good as it should be, there are still plenty good players in there who we're not getting the best of. Our teams that beat France in the qualifiers had David Weir, Steven Pressley, Graham Alexander, Hartley, McCulloch, Pearson, Gary Teale, etc. I don't believe our current squad are inferior to those guys, yet we're not getting close to hitting the levels we did back then. 

11 hours ago, TartanDave said:

Stay. Give him first 5 games with a 9 point target, assess from there. 

10 points minimum.

First 5 are

Malta Away

Lithuania Home

Slovakia Away

England Away

Slovenia Home

If you can't beat Malta, Lithuania and Slovenia and get at least 1 point in the other 2 games then you have no chance of qualifying. Even with that I think you are looking for another 12 points in the last 5 games to give you 22 to have a possible chance of making the playoffs. Again beating Malta, Lithuania, Slovenia and then beating either England or Slovakia.

Hopefully we have a bit more ambition than that and try to play for a win against Slovakia away. I could at least accept a draw or defeat if we at least had a bit of a go.

The Italy and France games have been really bad.  Albeit, friendlies against hungrier and better teams, for me, those are not mitigating factors in the way we applied ourselves.

Despite being poor results, the scorelines flattered us.  The performances were awful.  Confidence is now completely shot.  More players p1ssed off than before (those left out, debutants off at half time etc, etc).  Confidence in Strachan now shot - still using players that should have been retired a long time ago, not picking players who we should be looking at.  Strachan is probably lucky that more isn't being made out of the Rhodes issue - Levein took absolute pelters over Fletcher and I see this issue as similar - stubborness. Basic tactics and no contingency. Players not playing for Strachan.  McGhee still involved!

That all said, I'd give him the first 3 games of the next campaign and set a realistic target of 7 points.  If we have any less than 7 points after those 3 games, he gets binned.

2 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

The Italy and France games have been really bad.  Albeit, friendlies against hungrier and better teams, for me, those are not mitigating factors in the way we applied ourselves.

Despite being poor results, the scorelines flattered us.  The performances were awful.  Confidence is now completely shot.  More players p1ssed off than before (those left out, debutants off at half time etc, etc).  Confidence in Strachan now shot - still using players that should have been retired a long time ago, not picking players who we should be looking at.  Strachan is probably lucky that more isn't being made out of the Rhodes issue - Levein took absolute pelters over Fletcher and I see this issue as similar - stubborness. Basic tactics and no contingency. Players not playing for Strachan.  McGhee still involved!

That all said, I'd give him the first 3 games of the next campaign and set a realistic target of 7 points.  If we have any less than 7 points after those 3 games, he gets binned.

Malta away, Lithuania home, Slovakia away.

This is not 20 years ago, It's possible we will have anything between 2 (at worst... surely!?) points and i'd say 6 at best - Can't see us getting anything from Slovakia away.

I'm still in strachans camp for now in the last campaign against our 2 main rivals in Poland and Ireland we drew with Poland away  then at home with Lewandowski scoring in the last minute beat Ireland at home got away with a draw in Ireland in Georgia we were shite the main thing that put us out that I seen was the bizarre will they won't Germans I know we all feel like we've had our guts kicked out us in the last 2 weeks but the teams we played in Italy and France should be destroying us sorry guys but that's the real reason we were beaten both games if we played like that against teams of a similar stature to us then I would agree yes strachan should go give the guy a break