Strachan..out...poll - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan..out...poll

scotsgary2

The thing that gives me hope for us under Strachan in the long term is he does actually seem to know what the problem is.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-manager-gordon-strachan-weve-8106268#wywmYqIKj6IARgSS.97

There's going to be a balance to strike between bringing in younger players and not doing what Berti did by overdoing it and just breaking their confidence. But to me Strachan has identified the problem that plagues us so often. Some games we're actually really good on the ball and off it, and other's we look like frightened rabbits (top band btw). You could argue that it's strachans job to impart that confidence into the team, but certainly with the generation out there against France, they've been scared so long it's got to be incredibly hard to break that mindset.

Strachan's shown a willingness to bring in younger players, but it's going to take a little time for them to filter in and fill out most of the squad. Tierney, Burke, McGinn, McKay, Paterson, Kingsley and McLean have all been involved recently, and most have looked decent. I'd expect that to continue over the coming campaign.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, andyD said:

The thing that gives me hope for us under Strachan in the long term is he does actually seem to know what the problem is.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-manager-gordon-strachan-weve-8106268#wywmYqIKj6IARgSS.97

There's going to be a balance to strike between bringing in younger players and not doing what Berti did by overdoing it and just breaking their confidence. But to me Strachan has identified the problem that plagues us so often. Some games we're actually really good on the ball and off it, and other's we look like frightened rabbits (top band btw). You could argue that it's strachans job to impart that confidence into the team, but certainly with the generation out there against France, they've been scared so long it's got to be incredibly hard to break that mindset.

Strachan's shown a willingness to stand by tried and tested failures and over the hill deadwood

Corrected

• Admin4 featured and unfeatured this topic
19 hours ago, tartanpar said:

I am still behind him but I have very little faith. We need 6 points from our first two games against Malta and Italy.  If we fail to get 6 points in those two games then I think he should go. 

No chance he'll be sacked between the Lithuania and Slovakia games. 

I don't have faith in our players or the manager. I don't have faith in the SFA to appoint a decent replacement of we do get rid.

Utterly depressing. 

17 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

No chance he'll be sacked between the Lithuania and Slovakia games. 

I don't have faith in our players or the manager. I don't have faith in the SFA to appoint a decent replacement of we do get rid.

Utterly depressing. 

Yeah i agree i doubt he would get sacked either but perhaps he would resign.

As you say, It is utterly depressing.

Edited by tartanpar

Out!

I get the impression the players are scared to move outwith his 'system', pretty much like in Levein's time!

I'd prefer a relatively unknown coach who's not scared to play a very young team/squad drawn mainly from the Scottish leagues!

I also can't stand his constant belittling of the players he's got... NI, Albania, Ireland, Poland, etc aren't better than us, yet they play as a team & qualify.. I don't buy this 'we're too shite' nonsense!

19 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Malta away, Lithuania home, Slovakia away.

This is not 20 years ago, It's possible we will have anything between 2 (at worst... surely!?) points and i'd say 6 at best - Can't see us getting anything from Slovakia away.

My mistake, I thought we were away to Slovenia in the third game. On the basis it's Slovakia, I'd lower the target to 6 points. Anything less would be unacceptable for me.

On 05/06/2016 at 6:01 PM, scotsgary2 said:

All,

As is it says above.

Please give us a chance to qualify and go !!!

Vote Now Below thanks

Still not one suggestion for his replacement here and sadly the Ronnie Corbett/Alice Cooper dream team cannot come to pass.

Too much short termism in football will likely see him resign by the end of the year. And we'll end up with someone not half as good.

I'd give him the start of the campaign. Re-assess after the England game, when we'll have some time to make an appointment and the next game would be Malta at home. We must have a minimum of 6 points by then. Imo anything more is a bonus for 2nd place. 

22 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Strachan's shown a willingness to stand by tried and tested failures and over the hill deadwood

Well..
GK: Dont think anyone thinks we need change here. But he's still given call us to Scott Bain (24) and Jack Hamilton (22)
RB: Has bought Callum Paterson (22) into the squad and into the starting line-up against Italy.
LB: Has used Robertson (22) often and blooded Tierney (19) and Kingsley (21).
CB: Precious little to work with here. Continued with Hanley (24) and bought Liam Cooper (24) into the squad.
RM: Bought in and capped Oliver Burke (19) and tried James Forrest (24) to see if his pace is as effective as Anya's.
LM: Given a debut to Barrie McKay (21) and John McGinn (21)
CM: Blooded Kenny McLean (24)
ST: Gave a debut to Tony Watt (22)

I don't think that's a bad spread of young players that he's filtering in. Yes, the teams for Italy and France were largely old timers, whose days are numbered, but given those that weren't there (but choice and thru withdrawls) then options were fairly limited.

On 6/6/2016 at 8:17 PM, TartanDave said:

A "Lewandowskiless" Poland just drew 0-0 with Lithuania

Read absolutely nothing into that  - alot of the qualified teams are treating their final pre-tournament friendlies without 100% conviction out of the risk of players been injured. and missing the tournament. In fairness to the poles, i saw the game and they didnt get out of 2nd gear and also had a perfectly good goal dissallowed

In the last week or so .....there has been alot of surprise results where the stronger nation has lost or drawn to one of the weaker ones

Just tonight for example ....Full time Score: Spain 0 Georgia 1

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

I say keep however if we don't have the maximum 6 points after the first 2 games he'll be under real real pressure. I like Strachan, we're playing better football under him compared to past years however his squad selections have been awful. If it was Levein, the press would have his head. On another note, just watched Henry's programme on BBC about past Euro's / World Cup's, making me even more depressed we won't be there!!

13 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

Still not one suggestion for his replacement here and sadly the Ronnie Corbett/Alice Cooper dream team cannot come to pass.

Too much short termism in football will likely see him resign by the end of the year. And we'll end up with someone not half as good.

See this is the thing I just can't understand.

No-one suggests any of x amount of foreign managers we could consider. Why does it always have to a friggin Scot that has to in charge of our national team ? Let's go for a foreigner next time I say. Even an Englishman, I'd be fine with that.

Still backing Strach but if we don't win the opening two games then I think he (and we) have had it.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

See this is the thing I just can't understand.

No-one suggests any of x amount of foreign managers we could consider. Why does it always have to a friggin Scot that has to in charge of our national team ?

I'm not against it myself, although the man in your avatar did a fair bit of damage to that argument...

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I'm not against it myself, although the man in your avatar did a fair bit of damage to that argument...

And anyone who believes such a flimsy, "from the pages of the Daily Record" argument is frankly, an idiot.

Just because a German or Dutch or Norwegian manager screwed up team x doesn't mean that they should never again have a German or Dutch or Norwegian manager. 

Just because Berti was poor doesn't mean the next will be a let down. 

We need to embrace change, not remain stuck in the past. There are no Scottish managers worth considering.

If we had a realistic chance of getting someone like Sean Dyche or Eddie Howe, I'd take them.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

At least he got us to a play-off, albeit from about as easy a group as anyone could realistically expect to get.

Then again, if we found ourselves in the same group nowadays I'm not convinced we would finish second.

18 minutes ago, scotlad said:

At least he got us to a play-off, albeit from about as easy a group as anyone could realistically expect to get.

Then again, if we found ourselves in the same group nowadays I'm not convinced we would finish second.

Germany and Iceland would be streaks ahead of us now :(

Without a big change in personal and a new system there's going to be so much negativity towards the forthcoming campaign, very little to be hopeful about!

Iceland ffs, if they get a point at the euros I'll eat ma bunnet!

Germany are also massively inconsistent, if they had finished the qualifiers with full points as per usual we would have been laughing. 

We're a bit shit but if the oldest players get cut now and some fresh blood brought in we can come on again.  The czechs won icelands group and we beat the czechs half the time we play them.  We finished the qualifiers pretty well and have started winning friendlies.  We got humped against 2 teams that can hump anyone when they are in the mood.

Stay for me, deserves the coming campaign, I will judge him on competitive games not end of the season friendlies when players aren't motivated after a long hard season playing teams who are up for the euros starting

Must take 7 points minimum from first 3 games, wins against malta and luthiania and at least draw in slovakia who I think we will win against, just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Geed said:

Stay for me, deserves the coming campaign, I will judge him on competitive games not end of the season friendlies when players aren't motivated after a long hard season playing teams who are up for the euros starting

Must take 7 points minimum from first 3 games, wins against malta and luthiania and at least draw in slovakia who I think we will win against, just my opinion.

I agree strongly with this. Prediction for the Georgia-esque performance (if not Malta away) is Lithuania away in September 2017. 

30 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

Iceland ffs, if they get a point at the euros I'll eat ma bunnet!

Want a bet on that for the Sunshine Appeal?