Strachan..out...poll - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan..out...poll

scotsgary2

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Geed said:

Stay for me, deserves the coming campaign, I will judge him on competitive games not end of the season friendlies when players aren't motivated after a long hard season playing teams who are up for the euros starting

Must take 7 points minimum from first 3 games, wins against malta and luthiania and at least draw in slovakia who I think we will win against, just my opinion.

Everyone is judging him on the failure of the last campaign and the lack of change following on from that failure.

Nothing like blind optimism and denial before a campaign begins - Classic Scotland!

30 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Did you not see how well Iceland did in qualifying thistle?  Hope you've got some nice seasoning for that bunnet. 

I choose to believe they only finished second in a group with the worst holland team in 2 generations, Turkey, meh, and a Czech team we do alright against.

They've one decent player and he'll be marked silly in every match.  They were better with Eidur Gudjohnson and won nothing.

I refuse to believe they are better than us, yes they have coaches for kids but football is down to natural talent (as anyone who has seen me kick a ball into my own face will testify). 

My tiny bunnet is ready though...

3 minutes ago, wellyman said:

I am waiting to see how NI do in their group, they have the first & second place teams from our qualifying group, it will interesting to see how their results go now they have to face real competition ?

I think they will defend well for the first half, then capitulate in the second

19 hours ago, thistle do nicely said:

I choose to believe they only finished second in a group with the worst holland team in 2 generations, Turkey, meh, and a Czech team we do alright against.

They've one decent player and he'll be marked silly in every match.  They were better with Eidur Gudjohnson and won nothing.

I refuse to believe they are better than us, yes they have coaches for kids but football is down to natural talent (as anyone who has seen me kick a ball into my own face will testify). 

My tiny bunnet is ready though...

We would have finished fourth in their group and would have played defensively v Holland and been pumped twice.

They attacked v Holland (Something we don't do) and deserved to win.

They are miles ahead of us in every footballing sense.

1 hour ago, girvanTA said:

I would rather be in Icelands position than ours. I would give Strachan another 2 full campaigns. Get rid of the deadwood and make us hard to beat

If Strachan stays in charge long enough, S Fletcher will still be getting a game when he is 40 and probably still only have 2 goals against decent opposition.

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

We would have finished fourth in their group and would have played defensively v Holland and been pumped twice.

They attacked v Holland (Something we don't do) and deserved to win.

They are miles ahead of us in every footballing sense.

We attacked home and away against Germany so we might have done the same against holland, we've beaten the Czechs away from home recently and Iceland are pants, so I don't agree :).

Be interesting to see how they do in the tourny

3 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

We attacked home and away against Germany so we might have done the same against holland, we've beaten the Czechs away from home recently and Iceland are pants, so I don't agree :).

Be interesting to see how they do in the tourny

We play in a formation that is ultimately defensive but allows us to supposedly counter quickly - and to be fair throughout the whole cmpaign we did it effectively maybe twice. We did this both home and away to Germany though we do in every game under Strachan regardless of the opposition. If you consider that attacking then that's a pretty generous assessment. 

12 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

We play in a formation that is ultimately defensive but allows us to supposedly counter quickly - and to be fair throughout the whole cmpaign we did it effectively maybe twice. We did this both home and away to Germany though we do in every game under Strachan regardless of the opposition. If you consider that attacking then that's a pretty generous assessment. 

I think there is a downer on everything because we didnt qualify and stank in the last 2 friendlies, but we held our own against poland with a world class striker, did better against ireland than they did against us.  We were actually really unlucky Germany pissed points away against them. We even started winning friendlies, unheard of!

We might just be in a stage where the older players now know they will never qualify for something, and our decent young players have disappointed so we are back to relying on players that aren't motivated

10 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

I think there is a downer on everything because we didnt qualify and stank in the last 2 friendlies, but we held our own against poland with a world class striker, did better against ireland than they did against us.  We were actually really unlucky Germany pissed points away against them. We even started winning friendlies, unheard of!

We might just be in a stage where the older players now know they will never qualify for something, and our decent young players have disappointed so we are back to relying on players that aren't motivated

We have regressed significantly since the promising start under Strachan and it is apparent he has no way to arrest the decline. He only knows to play one system and it is simply failing - and/or other teams are now wise to it. We were not unlucky to Germany, and if you are citing a factor as the continual selection of unmotivated players (when of course the manager can address this in a number of ways) then you are really either clutching at straws or have absolute unhinge blind faith. 

Being the only home nation not to qualify should be motivation enough to put in better performances and get to the next tournament. It says a lot about our players character if they need motivation to play for their country

3 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

We have regressed significantly since the promising start under Strachan and it is apparent he has no way to arrest the decline. He only knows to play one system and it is simply failing - and/or other teams are now wise to it. We were not unlucky to Germany, and if you are citing a factor as the continual selection of unmotivated players (when of course the manager can address this in a number of ways) then you are really either clutching at straws or have absolute unhinge blind faith. 

I didnt say we were unlucky against Germany, we were unlucky Ireland defended for an entire match against Germany then long balled it and scored.  Ireland got 4 points against Germany, if Germany had got their finger out we would have been third.

I just don't think too much should be read into two matches where the players are facing a summer watching the euros on tv that would rather be on their holidays.  We're sick, can you imagine how they feel watching ireland and N Ireland at the euros?

I think we got worse as the campaign went on, some of that might have been down to bottle, and as you say a counter attack style will never be decent against Ireland and their antifootball, and we didnt change

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Being the only home nation not to qualify should be motivation enough to put in better performances and get to the next tournament. It says a lot about our players character if they need motivation to play for their country

Obviously I wouldnt know, but being the only ones not at a party must make them want to spew.  They are bound to try harder once it matters again.

They were being used like an ugly bird for a bit of practice

4 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

When Bannan stopped playing so did Scotland,  what I mean is he didn't feature at all in the last 4  games and I think it coincided with our decline.  He was definitely one of our better players in the first half of the campaign

According to some "he's too wee" and we need big tall bruiser type players to battle to heroic 0-0 draws against Lithuania and Malta.

An attitude which got us into this bloody awful mess.

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

According to some "he's too wee" and we need big tall bruiser type players to battle to heroic 0-0 draws against Lithuania and Malta.

An attitude which got us into this bloody awful mess.

Two sides to this. Bannan's should be in, he makes us tick. We do need pace and power upfront though. We need lucky goals, and as Strachan says, we currently require about 10 passes to get a shot away. Get the ball up quickly and have a crack but without lumping it up the park. That's where Bannan comes in and wide players with pace and a good first touch.

Bannan didn't play enough in the last campaign. Only game he started was Germany away where was subbed after an hour then played 15 mins at home to Gibraltar, never kicked another ball but hi club form during that was poor up until this season.

I like Bannan and the fact he's now settled and playing well at Sheffield Wednesday he gives something different and the ability to pick out a pass, we became far to reliant on Maloney on the last campaign and now we should have Bannan as well as Snodgrass to come in gives us some other options there.

I said this on another thread, but to me its all about attacking intent.

We need a couple of players who will try something to get in behind the opposition's defence. Strachan was talking about bravery when he first started, he has to recognise that we still don't have that in the team.

Snodgrass back is a boost and if we can get Bannan in the team too, there is a couple of players who may try something a bit more audacious and less predictable.

1 minute ago, runningtings said:

I said this on another thread, but to me its all about attacking intent.

We need a couple of players who will try something to get in behind the opposition's defence. Strachan was talking about bravery when he first started, he has to recognise that we still don't have that in the team.

Snodgrass back is a boost and if we can get Bannan in the team too, there is a couple of players who may try something a bit more audacious and less predictable.

The players are only as brave as the formation allows. 

1 minute ago, Return of Yermaw said:

The players are only as brave as the formation allows. 

An example would be Ritchie against France

Lost count of the number of times he got the ball and was faced with the France fullback, had a look, didn't fancy it and played it back to one of our defenders.

WTF?? At least try something to get by the FB once in a while!

14 hours ago, noctonjock said:

When Bannan stopped playing so did Scotland,  what I mean is he didn't feature at all in the last 4  games and I think it coincided with our decline.  He was definitely one of our better players in the first half of the campaign

Do you actually bother to check the facts before posting?

Bannan only played two games in the qualifiers.  58 minutes in Dortmund and 16 minutes at home to Gibraltar.  Clearly he's such an influential player that he impacts games he isn't even playing in.