Strachan..out...poll - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan..out...poll

scotsgary2

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collins had more in his locker than Ferguson ever did although I still think Ferguson was a brilliant player and we do miss him. However the player I feel we miss the most from the last few years is McFadden. Faddy in his pomp was unplayable at times. Thinking back to that Euro 2008 campaign I don't think we would have run Italy as close as we did for second place without him. The goals against Lithuania and Ukraine were just as important as the France one cause it gave us a cushion going into the last quarter of those games

53 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Stuart McCall :blink:

McCall was a cracking player for club ago country. Not the most skillful but got from box to box, winning challenges, and was a bundle of energy.

Basically a good Scott Brown.

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

Collins had more in his locker than Ferguson ever did although I still think Ferguson was a brilliant player and we do miss him. However the player I feel we miss the most from the last few years is McFadden. Faddy in his pomp was unplayable at times. Thinking back to that Euro 2008 campaign I don't think we would have run Italy as close as we did for second place without him. The goals against Lithuania and Ukraine were just as important as the France one cause it gave us a cushion going into the last quarter of those games

Don't agree collins was better than ferguson but a fine talent for sure and would walk into our team right now. Completely agree as most will I'm sure about Faddy, imagine the last 15 years as a scotland fan if faddy had never been born. For all that he was a true enigma, a top class player in a scotland shirt whilst never consistently capturing those heights at cub level. Interestingly I would say ferguson and mcfadden are the last two 'hype' players who have come through the SPL to go down to england with the whole of scotland looking on to see how they got on.

53 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

I would take Ferguson over all of them. McAllister would be a contender for sure but I'd have Barry. Neil McCann are you serious?

You're saying Barry Ferguson is our best player for 25 years, and yet asking if I'm the one being serious!?

Just now, Dunty said:

You're saying Barry Ferguson is our best player for 25 years, and yet asking if I'm the one being serious!?

If there is anyone else in the world who thinks neil mcann is better player than barry ferguson i would be amazed. 

That period when Ferguson was at his pomp at Rangers, then Blackburn.........then Rangers again, I remember him playing for Scotland and still cherish the memories of all those tournaments we qualified for during that time. He truly shone a light on the world stage. 

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

That period when Ferguson was at his pomp at Rangers, then Blackburn.........then Rangers again, I remember him playing for Scotland and still cherish the memories of all those tournaments we qualified for during that time. He truly shone a light on the world stage. 

How many tournament finals did George Best play in?

Not that I'm remotely comparing Ferguson to Best but even the worlds greatest players can't do much if the other players aren't up to it.

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

Be as childish as you like. Im not saying he was a world class or world beating player, I am saying I think he's been scotlands best in a long (too long) time. As mentioned earlier though you would have to say mcfadden has been our best when playing for scotland, but as a week to week player, my opinion is that it is ferguson.

Wales never qualified during Ryan Giggs's career. I am obviously not comparing the two but it does highlight how irrelevant your comment is.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

How many tournament finals did George Best play in?

Not that I'm remotely comparing Ferguson to Best but even the worlds greatest players can't do much if the other players aren't up to it.

George Best was world class in his day, won pretty much the full whack at club level and played at the highest level. He played in a sh!te national team and as a result didn't play at a major tournament.

Ferguson was never world class, never won the full whack at club level and certainly didn't play at the highest level. You could say that he is pretty much the prototype for any scottish media darling in the last 20 years. He had an ok club career and done ok at national level, nothing more, nothing less.

19 minutes ago, Mox said:

George Best was world class in his day, won pretty much the full whack at club level and played at the highest level. He played in a sh!te national team and as a result didn't play at a major tournament.

Ferguson was never world class, never won the full whack at club level and certainly didn't play at the highest level. You could say that he is pretty much the prototype for any scottish media darling in the last 20 years. He had an ok club career and done ok at national level, nothing more, nothing less.

You got the bit where I said I wasn't comparing Ferguson to Best, didn't you?

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Faddy played in our world famous Kirin Cup win, Ferguson was out injured at the time

Very true, we will always have the Kirin Cup to cherish. My point as I'm sure you are aware was more regarding Mox's quote about Ferguson

1 hour ago, Mox said:

You could easily (Kirin Cup win allowing!?!?!) replace Ferguson with McFadden and Rangers, Blackburn.. then Rangers again with Motherwell, Everton, Birmingham then Motherwell again and make sarcastic comments about cherishing memories of McFadden shining a light on the world stage.  Whats the difference - McFadden worshipped and Ferguson ridiculed? 

6 minutes ago, Wolfgang Overthebar said:

Very true, we will always have the Kirin Cup to cherish. My point as I'm sure you are aware was more regarding Mox's quote about Ferguson

You could easily (Kirin Cup win allowing!?!?!) replace Ferguson with McFadden and Rangers, Blackburn.. then Rangers again with Motherwell, Everton, Birmingham then Motherwell again and make sarcastic comments about cherishing memories of McFadden shining a light on the world stage.  Whats the difference - McFadden worshipped and Ferguson ridiculed? 

I often found that the anti Barry brigade used his rangers career as their reason for their motive.

Collins was a good player who got the most out of his talent by constantly practicing and training well. He couldn't run a game like Fergusin could. Only McStay rivals him for talent in that role. McAllister was another terrific player (disliked by Scotland fans) with less talent than Ferguson but a better career. Ferguson peaked at 24 due to a series of very bad knee injuries.

49 minutes ago, Wolfgang Overthebar said:

I've never worshipped McFadden in my puff. Him and Ferguson are two sides of the same arse cheek. Decent players but no where near good enough to drag a team through qualifying despite numerous folk telling you the two of them were sensational players when it couldn't be further from the truth

1 minute ago, Mox said:

I've never worshipped McFadden in my puff. Him and Ferguson are two sides of the same arse cheek. Decent players but no where near good enough to drag a team through qualifying despite numerous folk telling you the two of them were sensational players when it couldn't be further from the truth

McFadden was absolutely sensational.

I do think without Ferguson and Faddy we'd have sunk even further.  Yes they didn't take us anywhere but they helped stop a slide further into the depths 

Just reminded myself but when you compare club honours I am not sure why folk think 'maybe' Darren Fletcher rivals Barry Ferguson. The latter was a big fish in a small pond who really struggled in the short time he went into the big pond. Whereas look at Fletcher... No contest.