Trident renewal - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It's all moot anyway

If we deviate from the 4 submarine strategy the USA will not be happy and we will be punished

It's their warheads and their submarines

We do whatever the USA wants us to do but put on a pantomime in Parliament to give the impression that we actually have a choice - which we dont.

More Nuclear warheads have been built under Obama than any other post cold war President

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, jailender said:

What would you describe as a minimalist ND ? Not that I am in favour of Trident, but wondering what you mean.

A small supply which can be dropped by Aircraft

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I thought they were UK subs?

(no punk pun intended)

Apologies - you are right

The whole trident thing is an absolute beemur. 

“The USA has the ability to deny access to GPS (as well as weather and gravitational data) at any time, rendering that form of navigation and targeting useless if the UK were to launch without US approval.”

The US can stop any missile they want if they do not like where it is going for any reason at any time. We lease the missiles and are entirely dependent on the US for servicing and maintenance and all components just about. All we are is a sad nation that want to pay billions to act the big man but really we are just a groveling sidekick who will do nothing other than what they are told. We are like George Bush wearing the flyer's leather jacket strutting like a peacock on the deck of an aircraft carrier only none of it is ours and in reality the US considers us a joke. If we did not have it would make zero difference to us.

But thankfully they built it within 40 miles (less I think) of Scotland biggest (by far) population centre. Classy.

edit: the only reason we have 'decided' to have trident is the US will have said "you're having Trident".

Edited by thplinth

42 minutes ago, thplinth said:

“The USA has the ability to deny access to GPS (as well as weather and gravitational data) at any time, rendering that form of navigation and targeting useless if the UK were to launch without US approval.”

The US can stop any missile they want if they do not like where it is going for any reason at any time. We lease the missiles and are entirely dependent on the US for servicing and maintenance and all components just about. All we are is a sad nation that want to pay billions to act the big man but really we are just a groveling sidekick who will do nothing other than what they are told. We are like George Bush wearing the flyer's leather jacket strutting like a peacock on the deck of an aircraft carrier only none of it is ours and in reality the US considers us a joke. If we did not have it would make zero difference to us.

But thankfully they built it within 40 miles (less I think) of Scotland biggest (by far) population centre. Classy.

edit: the only reason we have 'decided' to have trident is the US will have said "you're having Trident".

Yep

And yet we have this type of crap from the warmongering buffoon Fallon

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon goes on the attack against the SNP says the party is "happy to cower under an American nuclear umbrella"

On 18/07/2016 at 3:42 PM, Ally Bongo said:

It's all moot anyway

If we deviate from the 4 submarine strategy the USA will not be happy and we will be punished

It's their warheads and their submarines

We do whatever the USA wants us to do but put on a pantomime in Parliament to give the impression that we actually have a choice - which we dont.

More Nuclear warheads have been built under Obama than any other post cold war President

No they aren't.

On 18/07/2016 at 5:19 PM, Ally Bongo said:

I meant our Submarines are integrated with the US fleet

No they're not. 

On 18/07/2016 at 5:37 PM, thplinth said:

All the its in bold aren't true. ow exactly cold the Americans deny our Submarine weather and gravitational data? It doesn't come from them. I'm pretty sure all the people working in Coulport would be glad to hear that the US service the missiles, puts them all out of a job! 

On 18/07/2016 at 5:50 PM, fishcumnock said:

We could not launch shit without the yanks say so.

??????

Pish. The Americans have no control over our Submarines. 

I think where people are getting hung up on the who independent thing is their maintenance and development. In that sense they are dependent any on the Americans. Unlike the French who developed and created their own Nuclear weapons systems.

But the launch and use of the British weapons (and the platforms that they launch from) are totally independent and at the control of the Prime Minister.

J

On 27/07/2016 at 2:59 PM, Bristolhibby said:

I think where people are getting hung up on the who independent thing is their maintenance and development. In that sense they are dependent any on the Americans. Unlike the French who developed and created their own Nuclear weapons systems.

But the launch and use of the British weapons (and the platforms that they launch from) are totally independent and at the control of the Prime Minister.

J

Do not agree ,they would be shitting themselves.

On 19/07/2016 at 6:21 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Yep

And yet we have this type of crap from the warmongering buffoon Fallon

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon goes on the attack against the SNP says the party is "happy to cower under an American nuclear umbrella"

so to stop "cowering" you pay billions then you're the big man. Falling for the political example of dick enlarging pills adverts.

It's pathetic. no nukes please.

On 27/07/2016 at 1:35 PM, shaddypeekey said:

Pish. The Americans have no control over our Submarines. 

We're not launching subs though, it's the delivery system and warhead that are the problem. Also the subs will probably be under NATO command at war anyway.,.

On 29/07/2016 at 3:56 PM, phart said:

We're not launching subs though, it's the delivery system and warhead that are the problem. Also the subs will probably be under NATO command at war anyway.,.

The warheads are wholly British and the delivery system,except for the build, has no non UK input. 

On 29/07/2016 at 3:50 PM, fishcumnock said:

Was talking about launching trident dumb####!

So was I. The Yanks have no control over the targetting or operations of it once it's on a UK facility.  

I must admit, it frustrates me how little people know about the nuclear deterrent, yet they all have a misguided view of how it operates. Don't believe everything Wings over Scotland says!

4 hours ago, fishcumnock said:

Ok. Do you honestly think that May can press the button without consultation with the us government ?

I would seriously hope that PM would consult with all our allies before pushing the big red button.