Average weekly shop - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Guest BlueGaz
27 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Aye, i get a musclefood order of meat about once a month (about £60 or so) band fill the freezer, then i spend around £35 each week in Aldi. 

Been hearing good things about Musclefood.  Is it always good quality or a bit hit and miss?  Do you order what you want or is it a standard order box of meat?

Edited by BlueGaz

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Been hearing good things about Musclefood.  Is it always good quality or a bit hit and miss?  Do you order what you want or is it a standard order box of meat?

Everything i've had is good quality. I normally wait until i see a special offer for a box of something and then add some of the supplementary special offers. Normally get a box for around £50 and then add some additional mince.

I'd also highly recommend the venison sausages and grillsteaks from Aldi. Tasty and affordable lean protein :) 

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

Me and the girlfriend live on somewhere between £40-£50/wk. And i'd wager i have a healthier diet than 90% of the folk on this thread. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

You're right about not having kids. This month i'm going to the Euros, Wimbledon and a stag doo in Benidorm, before a holiday in Italy later in the year. :) 

Some man. 

What planet are some of you on with your advice on making stocks etc etc. Well meaning as the advice may be , this woman has a 3 yr old and 1 yr old child , plus it sounds like the poster works away regularly. She will hardly have time to throw a pizza in the oven never mind chop up veg for stock. 

The advice given about online shopping is good however it can be easy to run up bills online too. 

Is it just food shopping she overspends on ( £250-£300 a week is very high) or does she impulse buy on things like clothes etc ? Like many women she may just go a bit mad , especially if the money is available. Do you shop together when you are home , if not maybe you could try this and try and rein her in a bit. 

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

What planet are some of you on with your advice on making stocks etc etc. Well meaning as the advice may be , this woman has a 3 yr old and 1 yr old child , plus it sounds like the poster works away regularly. She will hardly have time to throw a pizza in the oven never mind chop up veg for stock. 

The advice given about online shopping is good however it can be easy to run up bills online too. 

Is it just food shopping she overspends on ( £250-£300 a week is very high) or does she impulse buy on things like clothes etc ? Like many women she may just go a bit mad , especially if the money is available. Do you shop together when you are home , if not maybe you could try this and try and rein her in a bit. 

:lol: Somebody should follow them round the shop with a video camera. It's very funny watching coupes having domestics in a supermarket. I could see him end up wearing the pizza.

Some folk just don't unedrstand the value of money.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

:lol: Somebody should follow them round the shop with a video camera. It's very funny watching coupes having domestics in a supermarket. I could see him end up wearing the pizza.

Some folk just don't unedrstand the value of money.

At least all the wipes she is buying could be put to some use. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

At least all the wipes she is buying could be put to some use. 

It will only lead to increased consumption of expensive rehydration gels to sooth the part of the face that was scalded by the hot pizza sauce. Plus the baby's arse is not going to spew any less shite so those are extra wipes you used. It all adds up.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It will only lead to increased consumption of expensive rehydration gels to sooth the part of the face that was scalded by the hot pizza sauce. Plus the baby's arse is not going to spew any less shite so those are extra wipes you used. It all adds up.

All the cucumbers she is throwing out should do the trick . 

51 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I'd have thought cooking at home is probably quicker and less stressful than going to the shops all the time, especially if you have to take young sprogs with you.

3 minutes ago, fringo said:

I'd have thought cooking at home is probably quicker and less stressful than going to the shops all the time, especially if you have to take young sprogs with you.

She is still going to have to buy the food she cooks whether it is convenience or home made. As i said, the online shopping is a good idea as it will save time as well as money but only if the problem isnt simply that she cant properly control what she is spending. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

She is still going to have to buy the food she cooks whether it is convenience or home made. As i said, the online shopping is a good idea as it will save time as well as money but only if the problem isnt simply that she cant properly control what she is spending. 

True but you can also cook for several meals in advance.

Defo online shopping solves several problems - time saved, more controlled spending and time saved to cook.

48 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

There may be an element of loneliness in her spending habits.  I've seen the same habits in friends and colleagues who have partners who work away.  The spending seems excessive to me.

Guest BlueGaz
5 hours ago, Parklife said:

Everything i've had is good quality. I normally wait until i see a special offer for a box of something and then add some of the supplementary special offers. Normally get a box for around £50 and then add some additional mince.

I'd also highly recommend the venison sausages and grillsteaks from Aldi. Tasty and affordable lean protein :) 

Yeah, get all our meat from Aldi now.  Do you use their website or groupon etc?

10 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Yeah, get all our meat from Aldi now.  Do you use their website or groupon etc?

I've used both. When I see the groupon offers I'll buy a couple and use them the next 2 times I need stuff. Otherwise I always wait until they have a decent special offer on. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure that' a great advertising slogan?

would be worse if it said 'slaughtered in 1560'.

Its not emblazoned on the front its just written in the small print. The  company that provides  Aldi also provide M&S. I think it is either sirloin or rib eye steak. This is a fact , i was told by a senior employee at the company. 

Very interesting thread. My wife does the shopping for us, family of 4, kids 14 & 12 and I have never thought how much she spends each week.

Scared to ask incase she asks how much I spend on fitba and drink. (She is T-Total and wouldn't have a clue how much a pint cost)

There's only me and the wife in our house and we do one bigger shop a month spending about £40, usually at aldi. Then we do top up of fresh meat and fruit & veg once or twice a week. Probably about a tenner a time.

some months we get by without the big shop and just use up what we have kicking about bin the cupboards and freezer.

Dont need to spend a fortune to eat well.

On 11/06/2016 at 0:57 PM, Baz said:

There's only me and the wife in our house and we do one bigger shop a month spending about £40, usually at aldi. Then we do top up of fresh meat and fruit & veg once or twice a week. Probably about a tenner a time.

some months we get by without the big shop and just use up what we have kicking about bin the cupboards and freezer.

Dont need to spend a fortune to eat well.

Probably shouldnt do that

On 6/9/2016 at 2:53 PM, Donaldo87 said:

I pop into the supermarket most nights on my way home from work just to check the reduced aisle :lol:

Often pick up reduced mince, chicken etc and just fire it in the freezer when I get home.

i do that too! 

I like in Shawlands so when i get off the train at Crossmyloof i jump into Morrisons. My dinner last night consisted of a mini roast beef, mushrroms, brocolli & mushrooms stuffed with cheese. Cost about £2 in the yella sticker isle! If you time it right you can get your evening meals for the week for about a fiver and all fresh produce!