Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be daft Rossy - were making progress behind the scenes (been hearing this for over 20 years now), and a lot of our fans are happy to accept failure after failure & as long as you can say "In Gord We Trust" and or overdress for a day trip everything is fckn hunky dory :mad:

19 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Enough said. Strachan oot.

Oh yeah, and the Euros begin.

Very quiet in Norfolk.

No talk of it, no flags, not a great deal on the tv.......In fact, I feckin forgot it was on!

Thanks for reminding me ya bawbag! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Redz said:

Very quiet in Norfolk.

No talk of it, no flags, not a great deal on the tv.......In fact, I feckin forgot it was on!

Thanks for reminding me ya bawbag! :lol:

Very quiet in Hampshire too........but I didn't forget about it. I hope all the home nations get hammered because I am extremely bitter about not being there.

Few flags on cars here in Bournemouth but the pub doon the road from me is decked out in all its finery . This time last year we where in Dublin when wee Gordon played for the draw which was the start of the downfall in the campaign in the 40 years of  supporting Scotland don't think it been so down 

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Has Ray Parlour been taking lessons from Jim Traynor?

apparently the england fans were behaving and enjoying themselves but were then provoked into it.

Probably just being over exuberant.  

Try living in it and being surrounded by the 'euro fever' yet just feeling apathy and embarassment. For years i imagined how exiting this month would be with an expanded 24 team toirnament making it almost certain we'd qualify.

Albania. N Ireland. Wales.

How did we end up so low?

(Any of you partboy positive outlook types that try to justify it by saying holland didn't qualify either can go f##k yourselves)

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Has Ray Parlour been taking lessons from Jim Traynor?

apparently the england fans were behaving and enjoying themselves but were then provoked into it.

I was about to congratulate the England fans on their restraint in the face of extreme provocation. 

J

Been a lot of chat about how all the other home nations are there and we alone are not. Yeah that is bad. But Iceland are there. Iceland with a population not much more than Aberdeenshire. Iceland have proven that with limited resources but an excellent plan and full on commitment in execution you can punch way above your weight. Scotland is the dictionary definition opposite of Iceland. We have arguably the most loyal fans in the world but our game is a laughing stock. I keep saying it but it is the folk running our game. It is rotten.

When I think about it the clubs and the sfa can do their stuff but its the footballing mentality of the population that has to change. Still far to much of "get stuck in", hard tackles, celebrating failure, bad diet and lack of skill and flair. I really don't know how to change that.

16 minutes ago, Alan said:

When I think about it the clubs and the sfa can do their stuff but its the footballing mentality of the population that has to change. Still far to much of "get stuck in", hard tackles, celebrating failure, bad diet and lack of skill and flair. I really don't know how to change that.

It will take a generation to change the mentality.  It will take radical change from the top downwards to develop footballers, not under 10-under 16 teams that are taught that winning is all that matters.

kids at 12 year old playing on full size pitches, and goals ? What type of player develops via that? Strong  tall, runners that can kick and head the ball the furthest. If you develop kids at a young age to learn how to be comfortable with a football, it will become natural to them over time.  The clubs are as much to blame, the need to win at all levels is at the disadvantage of progression of individual talent.

Scotland as a nation continues to live on past glories (?) and think if we try hard enough to replicate it it will eventually pay off.  Other nations look at what works at the top level and adopt that approach.

Germany after a World Cup failure ( quarter finals, I think) re-evaluated everything and changed the structure from top to bottom to ensure future success. In Scotland we hope to get a eases have group to battle through

49 minutes ago, Alan said:

Completely agree. The reaction in Faro at full time was absolutely pathetic 

Romania making me feel shite.  Playing with skill and confidence.  Largs feckin mafia benn in charge of our 'top' coaches for over 30 years and look at us. Can hardly pass a ball across the road. Make u sick.  Scottie Brown our captain. Ach feck it, going to support romania.