Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football

We now appear to be in a rut where neither the players, the management or even the supporters believe we are good enough. Possibly because we are not. But belief can make a big difference as witnessed by  NI and the republic qualifying. 

The people running the game though do nothing to put a halt to this state of affairs. In any other walk of life they would all have been sacked for the failure along with the manager, and the fact they haven't been fills me with further despair.

As for wetting my knickers - I'd happily pish myself over our current predicament every day for the next 2 years if it meant we actually qualified for a major tournament.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

With Albania, Switzerland, Wales and Slovakia in action, I think TODAY is the day it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football.

Totally agree and watching the build up to the Wales game, knowing that is level of support we would have taken it's sair. 

9 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Every team I've seen and I've watched all the games, look far better than us. Far better. 

I'd include Albania too.

Agree Macy.  We seem to shite ourselves as soon as we walk on to pitch.  Every team I have watched seem to be just playing and going for it.  Wales should be a goal down but dug in and playing on front foot.  We would be shitting ourselves.  Should have been a penalty to wales there now.

17 hours ago, Scotunited said:

Okay tell me a manager in the world that would give us success, the manager no matter who it is is not the problem, as others have said it is many things that need to change. The reaction when Scotland keep the ball for example is laughable from the stands, most fans are screaming to punt it forward, get it in the mixer and battle, for the loose ball. That has got to change, in order to give us a better chance to qualify and then process.

would Scotland have played as Romania did tonight ? No way we would be happy to loose 1,2,3 nil and play our part in being there. 

Neil Warnock 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

This Welsh side would totally smash us 

they press the opposition defenders brilliantly and they actually attack

this is making me depressed 

Well stop watching it ya #####.  Just like me lol.  Aye it is mate and I agree.  still I hope WGS is watching and saying how the can we no play like that.  Hope wales win though.

12 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Well stop watching it ya #####.  Just like me lol.  Aye it is mate and I agree.  still I hope WGS is watching and saying how the can we no play like that.  Hope wales win though.

hopefully, if strachan is watching it he will realise he is out of his depth

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

hopefully, if strachan is watching it he will realise he is out of his depth

I don't think it's just strachan.  How come when he went on to a park as a player he could take on the world and our current players are all shit scared to make a mistake?  It's beyond me.  Wales playing like we should be playing, they have one superstar and rest just good decent players.  I am trying hard to stay off the whisky!!

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

This Welsh side would totally smash us 

they press the opposition defenders brilliantly and they actually attack

this is making me depressed 

They're a bit shite now though.

We should be more depressed about the fact that Slovakia have suddenly started to look like a football team.

wales deserved that, far from a 1 man team on that showing, bale was poor second half.

anyone still want to say that we have a better side than wales? 

Plus it comes back to mentality that i have been banging on about for years, conceded a goal, were under a lot of pressure for a bit but came back into the game and were the better team in the last 25 minutes. had the balls to come back into the game when they might have wilted.

that is exactly the sort of thing we cannot do.

10 hours ago, Redz said:

The same 'restraint' your dad gave to the smoked salmon and champagne in Lux airport lounge last Sunday! ;) 

Good to hear you guys got home safely......

Two large G&Ts added to that on the plane.

He was fast asleep on the drive back. Top wingman.

J

12 hours ago, ShedTA said:

We now appear to be in a rut where neither the players, the management or even the supporters believe we are good enough. Possibly because we are not. But belief can make a big difference as witnessed by  NI and the republic qualifying. 

The people running the game though do nothing to put a halt to this state of affairs. In any other walk of life they would all have been sacked for the failure along with the manager, and the fact they haven't been fills me with further despair.

As for wetting my knickers - I'd happily pish myself over our current predicament every day for the next 2 years if it meant we actually qualified for a major tournament.

I agree with this.  How can we expect to have any chance if the manager and fans believe we will fail? 

We set up our tactics (even against some of the poorest teams....I give you Georgia away) to not lose rather than try and win.   Defeatist from the start.  If we had the same group as northern Ireland we would likely still have failed...due to our team set up.

I am fed up with the...he does not fit as a one up front mentality...so we will not pick him...wtf? Our lone strikers currently are  useless! I am not saying that Rhodes is the answer....but to not even have him in the squad to TRY a different tactic in friendlies is ludicrous in the extreme.

To me we need 3 5 2....5 3 2 when defending....as we are atrocious at centre back...3 is better than 2 in there....we have full backs that can attack...and defend (maybe not Hutton as much)...and up top we could have Griffiths/Fletcher and Rhodes....seems like this should have at least been tried before now? 

Every team that we play knows how we play, we are so one dimensional ...what we offer and how to combat what few strengths that we have due to the complete unwillingness to try something different.  I am fed up...I am appalled that we play games and don't even get a shot on target.  If we continue, then we will slide in beside the extreme minnows. 

We have no belief..no bottle...and unwilling to change and no vision...the future is looking bleak under the current regime....we need to try change.  We are not good enough at the back...let's go and try to win games....if we fail, then we failed trying.

We also stick with experienced failures...this i do not understand.  They will not improve...younger players might.

RANT OVER..

Edited by WeLuvIrnBru

It's vital that we have a manager in charge that gets the team to punch above its weight.

Barring a brief McLeish/Smith period 10 years ago, we haven't been able to do that since the days of Craig Brown, 18 years ago. 

I thought there was chance that we were going to reach that with Strachan, but no, and I doubt that we ever will under him.

And to think of the guffaws (some of them on here) back when Lagerback was mentioned for the job. Where would we have been now with that guy in charge?

Or is Iceland really all down to their youth setup? In that case Iceland must still be gutted thay they missed out on Levein.

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Problem is we don't have 3 centre backs.  We are too defensive against the weaker teams constantly. 

The midfield don't trust the defence and to be fair, they're right.

Of course we have 3 centre backs....Greer, Hanley and Martin are regulars..they are all pretty poor...but none overly better.  Which is my point..3 to cover each other...we also have Reynolds and Mulgrew...my 3 would personally be Mulgrew on the left of the 3, Martin on the right and Hanley in the centre.

With Tierney a willing tackler from full back, and Robertson.  Although it does look like Tierney is the better defender of the 2.  Could one switch to right back?  If not Tierney against the bigger teams...Robertson to attack the smaller teams down the left..with Anya at right wing back?

Something needs to drastically change from the way our team is set up.

1 hour ago, WeLuvIrnBru said:

Of course we have 3 centre backs....Greer, Hanley and Martin are regulars..they are all pretty poor...but none overly better.  Which is my point..3 to cover each other...we also have Reynolds and Mulgrew...my 3 would personally be Mulgrew on the left of the 3, Martin on the right and Hanley in the centre.

With Tierney a willing tackler from full back, and Robertson.  Although it does look like Tierney is the better defender of the 2.  Could one switch to right back?  If not Tierney against the bigger teams...Robertson to attack the smaller teams down the left..with Anya at right wing back?

Something needs to drastically change from the way our team is set up.

I've suggested 3 CB before and been shot down with replies like " our CBs are pish, let's play 3 instead of 2 - genius". 

They fact they aren't world beaters means they cover for each other's mistakes, it worked well in the Brown era. It doesn't have to be defensive, 5-3-2 becomes 3-5-2 when we attack. Imagine having 2 upfront!!!

Teirney/Robertson LB, pity about RB......

Aye, thought NI was like watching us play, only in green. But before today they were unbeaten in, what, 12 games? How come they do better than we do with similarly unremarkable players? Is it that the players themselves, or the management, or the SFA, just don't care that much?

If I was one of the blazers, instead of bending over backwards to restore the Old Firm narrative that brought Scottish football to its knees, instead of crawling to any dodgy bookies who'll sponsor competitions, instead of scheduling international matches at daft times to suit third-tier BT or Sky channels, I'd be over in Iceland trying to figure out how a country with fewer people than Edinburgh and a weaker league than ours (for now) can qualify for Euro 16, and then once I'd found out, I'd copy them.

What is especially frustrating is that we have better individuals than Norn Iron however they have a team to be proud of and a manager who plays to their strengths whilst taking calculated risks. And they've qualified as a result. On another note, there was a wee section at half time where they interviewed David Healy on the trackside in Windsor Park and it struck me that they are gradually rebuilding an apparently intimidating little ground there, unlike our public park shitehole.

That said, I thought they were murder today.