Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Today is the day that it really struck home how utterly pathetic we are at football

Honestly don't know where we are going wrong anymore, as a nation we are football mad per head of population we must have one of the largest football watching public's on the planet.  Why aren't we producing players then? When was the last great player we produced? Wales has a population smaller than ours and football isn't their main sport yet they produce class players like Giggs, Bale and Ramsey.  Ireland the same with the Keane's yet football is a minority sport there.  I honestly don't know where the problem is and I doubt the SFA does either.  Statistically we should be producing players better than these two examples more consistently from the pool of youngsters available alone.   

Where is the problem 

Manager? Everyone has failed since Paw Broon and his teams were hardly great
League standard? It's mince but 100 times better than Wales or ROI our best players end up in England the same as theirs 
Culture / Diet? Can we really be that much worse than Wales/Ireland/NI in this

You can blame the manager, the fans, the media but the truth is there is something seriously wrong in taking Scottish youngsters and producing footballers.  Countries far smaller who aren't even fans of the game are doing something we aren't and the SFA need to highlight the problem our players have poor control and lack confidence.  We have no stand outs and haven't had one for decades.  

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly the tournament from hell for Scotland, and we're not even there.

Every single one of our inadequacies and failings has been ruthlessly exposed.

With utterly average sides like Northern Ireland or Ireland getting through their groups, it's like a cold nail to the heart of Scottish football. It's the slow death of a thousand James Forrests.

A 3 point plan for WGS -

1 - Kickout the shite , the likes of Hutton, whittaker etc

2 - Bring in the Youth, play them, give them confidence  

3 - Get the first group together and show them a film of the Euro's and tell them - We have a nation of football people who have to endure watching shite from these islands playing at a tournament we did not qualify for it is now your responsibility to make these fans happy, these fans will follow you to the end of the earth and support you to the end .

Now think of that,  go out Feck the English and qualify for Russia !!! 

Loss of tenement living and tanner baw players - school teachers giving up running school teams and parents taking over  and playing their offspring and friends  - parents refusal to let the kidsbplay without screaming hit him or  gei it the gutty   same applies to youth football  the SFA  lack of longbterm planningthe list is endless  but at the end of the day our national team has developed a lwe will never hold on attitude unlike our old  tenacious attitude which the Irish still have

Lets not forget this ingrained lack of self belief that nearly all scots have. I've literally been hearing people saying "scotland are shite" (mostly in relation to football) since I was 3 years old. Im 35. Don't know if it's the same in wales but it's definitely not in Ireland and it must make a difference to the general level of confidence of the nation.

1 hour ago, thewelk said:

Lets not forget this ingrained lack of self belief that nearly all scots have. I've literally been hearing people saying "scotland are shite" (mostly in relation to football) since I was 3 years old. Im 35. Don't know if it's the same in wales but it's definitely not in Ireland and it must make a difference to the general level of confidence of the nation.

I think you will find plenty of regulars anecdotally confirm when mentioning to family friends colleagues that they were going to the aviva that was precisely the response until we best Germany and then they suddenly remembered they were Ireland fans when euro 2016 was looming