Orlando Nightclub shooting - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Orlando Nightclub shooting

There is a lot of mixed opinions on whether Owen Jones is right or wrong on Facebook etc, I think hes just being a pissy asshole though. 

End of the day its the job of the news to report facts. The facts are that sadly many people lost their lives in a gay nightclub due to one man with a gun.

His reasons at this moment in time are unknown and in my opinion and Owen's too it was a homophobic attack. 

But as a journalist on live TV can you say that its an absolute certainty without further evidence to back it up? Not sure you are meant to like Owen did.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

Owen Jones is an absolute bellend who is always called up as some left winger wwith an alternative viewpoint, when in reality he is just a knob.

His compassionate views and campaigning for equality certainly hint at a bellend/knob.

17 minutes ago, Armitage Shanks said:

World war 1, world war 2, british empire etc all Christian led disasters.

None of them were about religious doctrine even though it was mainly Christian countries involved who all claimed God was on their side.

The British Empire was mainly about plundering other countries to aid our economy

I think you would really need to go back to the crusades to definitively find causal religious doctrine 

It took a while but the Christian religion has modernised and most of the nasty stuff is omitted from the mainstream versions - unless you are a republican in America relying on votes from the bible belt.

Edited by Ally Bongo

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Absolutely disgusted by Trump's comments on this, although they were hardly surprising...

Yep

Manna from heaven for Trumpy and the Brexit campaign too no doubt (even though i am voting leave)

Neo Liberal politicians have caused the run to right wing "saviours" throughout the world

History is repeating itself and they were warned by all and sundry this would happen if they didnt change course

Church Bush consulted "God" before he attacked Iraq.

The whole struggle for Greater Israel is predicated on the premise that god after creating the universe started staking out little parcels of land for folk on one of the countless planets. That has all 3 Abrahamic religions sticking their fingers into the pie.

Muscular Christianity in the united Kingdom Private schools full of this guff. "the Englishman going through the world with rifle in one hand and Bible in the other" and add, "If asked what our muscular Christianity has done, we point to the British Empire.

It's certainty that is the problem. Not religion. Religion just gives you a reason to be certain about what you are doing, if you doubted you'd not take as strong action.

Edited by phart

On 6/13/2016 at 2:09 AM, Toepoke said:

Feelings running high on Sky...

Papers are now saying the shooter was gay himself and was a regular at the club and used gay apps.

That is going to put one massive knot in Owen's knickers.

46 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Papers are now saying the shooter was gay himself and was a regular at the club and used gay apps.

Yes that's the point I was trying to make when I slipped out my cave for a bit... Owen was saying that it was an absolute guaranteed homophobic attack and as stated his reasons/motivations were unknown.

I was of the homophobic attack opinion too but did wonder about the possibility of him being gay himself and in denial of his feelings or something, perhaps even an ex lover was in the club etc.

Sometimes there is more to things that seem obvious at first. 

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What a nasty wee man you are.

Both Cnn and the washington post  reported that he had pled his allegiance to ISIS, his father Seddique Mateen was a former host of a political tv show called the "durand Jirga show" and would praise the afghan taliban.

FBI director Jason Comey said, The fbi had also interviewed the shooter twice over links terrorism but didnt think he was a credible threat however they did place him on the watch list.

There is plenty of evidence to support this was a religious homophobic attack, sad but true

13 minutes ago, hauniscots said:

We need more cities and more people doing vigils.

I dont get all that shit, it literally does nothing. I get people are upset etc but Vigils to me seem so pointless

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

our mutual friend Ryan said he suspected that right off the bat.

26 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Both Cnn and the washington post  reported that he had pled his allegiance to ISIS, his father Seddique Mateen was a former host of a political tv show called the "durand Jirga show" and would praise the afghan taliban.

FBI director Jason Comey said, The fbi had also interviewed the shooter twice over links terrorism but didnt think he was a credible threat however they did place him on the watch list.

There is plenty of evidence to support this was a religious homophobic attack, sad but true

Your original post was pretty clear - "The religion of peace strikes again". A classic far-right slogan swallowed up by gullible idiots. You really hate these people don't you ? Bet you'd vote for France's Front National or Germany's National Democrattic Party in a heartbeat.

The vast majority of Muslim's are perfectly peace loving, law abiding people who pose zero harm to us.

Why don't you go to your local mosque and actually learn something about their faith and culture ? All mosques welcome visitors and have community events where everyone is welcome.

The clear message is that if you dont want anybody to know that you are using gay apps then its not a good idea to kill 50 folk before getting yourself killed

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

The clear message is that if you dont want anybody to know that you are using gay apps then its not a good idea to kill 50 folk before getting yourself killed

...in the gay night club where you were a known regular. 

Like how pledged allegiance or whatever to ISIS and Hezbollah who are at war with each other. Nae the brightest lad it seems.

19 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Your original post was pretty clear - "The religion of peace strikes again". A classic far-right slogan swallowed up by gullible idiots. You really hate these people don't you ? Bet you'd vote for France's Front National or Germany's National Democrattic Party in a heartbeat.

The vast majority of Muslim's are perfectly peace loving, law abiding people who pose zero harm to us.

Why don't you go to your local mosque and actually learn something about their faith and culture ? All mosques welcome visitors and have community events where everyone is welcome.

I dont want to go to a mosque, im not muslim and I dont follow islam. Why dont they go to church of scotland? Why dont they learn about our culture and faith? Our church has community events where everyone is welcome too.

Yes the vast majority of muslims are peaceful,and thats great but many interpretate "islam" as "peace"

19 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

I dont want to go to a mosque, im not muslim and I dont follow islam. Why dont they go to church of scotland? Why dont they learn about our culture and faith? Our church has community events where everyone is welcome too.

Yes the vast majority of muslims are peaceful,and thats great but many interpretate "islam" as "peace"

I cannot believe what I've just read :crazy:

Unbelievable. Something clearly went badly wrong with your upbringing.

22 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Excellent post.