Germany v Ukraine - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany v Ukraine

Rossy

1 hour ago, mariokempes56 said:

German 2nd goal offside,  neuer red card and penalty just before..

Defo penalty, but maybe not a sending off? I'm not sure that the Ukraine fella was going to get to the ball and there was a German defender who might have got there first.

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Defo penalty, but maybe not a sending off? I'm not sure that the Ukraine fella was going to get to the ball and there was a German defender who might have got there first.

That amazingly is never a penalty in today's modern game. Odd isn't it?

Konoplayanka was outstanding last night. I thought beforehand that him and Yarmalenko would cause Germany's full backs a lot of issues and so it proved. An excellent game.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Ukraine in the flesh on Thursday :) 

37 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Konoplayanka was outstanding last night. I thought beforehand that him and Yarmalenko would cause Germany's full backs a lot of issues and so it proved. An excellent game.

Interesting that a lot of people seemed to write off Ukraine. A very decent team.

Also looking forward to the game on Thursday :ok:

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Have you decided to support Ukraine for the tournament or is that just the match you got tickets for? I think Ukraine are good enough to beat both Poland and NI. 

I'm supporting Croatia. This might just be tournament when they finally click. They have a load of players just in their prime with a huge amount of experience. They are in a tough group but should get through to the last 16 OK. 

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

Interesting that a lot of people seemed to write off Ukraine. A very decent team.

Yeah, strange. I guess it's because people don't pay much attention to football outside the UK or the very elite clubs and therefore haven't heard of many Ukrainian players.

In the same vein, I was amazed that folk hadn't heard of James Rodriguez before the last WC. 

42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Have you decided to support Ukraine for the tournament or is that just the match you got tickets for? I think Ukraine are good enough to beat both Poland and NI. 

I'm supporting Croatia. This might just be tournament when they finally click. They have a load of players just in their prime with a huge amount of experience. They are in a tough group but should get through to the last 16 OK. 

Just a game i got tickets for. I fancied Ukraine to do well though and i certainly think they are a better side than Poland. Going to see Spain vs Turks on Friday and Iceland vs Hungary on Saturday too. 

Ukraine, Russia (before they lost their whole midfield to injury) and Austria were my 3 under-rated teams to do well. 

I agree on Croatia, a top team (although suspect defensively, particularly at full-back IMO). They seem to be getting the recognition they deserve now. Out of the first 7 games, they're probably the best side i've seen. 

2 hours ago, Donaldo87 said:

They seem to be getting written off due to a lot of internal problems.....firstly you have Yarmolenko and Stepanenko who seriously can not stand the sight of each other after a history of bust up's (Stepanenko almost broke Yarmalenko leg a few years back in a game.... also they swapped shirts after a game and Yarmalenko went up to the Dynamo fans and spat on it.... then you had their massive brawl on the pitch at the last Ukrainia derby in Lviv a few months back).... and also you have Fomenko who is not all that popular in Ukraine with the fans, as he is worse than Strachan for picking his favourites (a lot of people in Ukraine feel Boyko should be the No1 keeper.... and even though he was brilliant last night, Pyatov form for the last few months at club and international level has been appalling..... a lot of people were shocked that Tymoshchuk did not feature last night, but there has been murmurs that Shevchenko is running the show behind the scenes before taking over as full time national coach ahead of the World Cup campaign).

Thought they had a lot of great chances last night, but felt a lot was put on Zozulya shoulders up front on his own, as he was just back from a long time out injured.... based on last night, think it will be the winner of Ukraine v Poland for 2nd place.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

I thought the two of them were really poor. Yarmalenko in particular is a greedy b astard.

Thought If Ukraine had a little bit more self belief they could have at least got a point.

Oils pass for the second goal was just beautiful.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

I thought the two of them were really poor. Yarmalenko in particular is a greedy b astard.

Thought If Ukraine had a little bit more self belief they could have at least got a point.

Oils pass for the second goal was just beautiful.

You thought Konoplyanka was "really poor"? I'm a bit lost for words at that. 

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You thought Konoplyanka was "really poor"? I'm a bit lost for words at that. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1035178/Live/International-EURO-Cup-2016-Germany-Ukraine

You shouldn't be, a quick glance at whoscored seems to back up my observation. 82% pass completion, 0 dribbles attempted, which for a winger is atrocious, dispossessed twice, one shot on goal and according to whoscored, there were 16 more effective players on the park. 

4 minutes ago, Mox said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1035178/Live/International-EURO-Cup-2016-Germany-Ukraine

You shouldn't be, a quick glance at whoscored seems to back up my observation. 82% pass completion, 0 dribbles attempted, which for a winger is atrocious, dispossessed twice, one shot on goal and according to whoscored, there were 16 more effective players on the park. 

I'm not sure if you're serious? 

I'll trust my own judgement over an algorithm.   

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I'm not sure if you're serious? 

I'll trust my own judgement over an algorithm.   

You trust your own judgement, but your judgements wrong in this instance as the statistics quite clearly back up. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I agree on Croatia, a top team (although suspect defensively, particularly at full-back IMO). They seem to be getting the recognition they deserve now. Out of the first 7 games, they're probably the best side i've seen. 

Do you mean Strinic at left back? I think he gets a wee bit exposed sometimes with Perisic bombing forward. I think Srna is still a top player although he seems to have lost a wee bit of his pace. It's sometimes hard for folk to believe that he has only just turned 34 even though he has 130 caps and played in 6 tournament finals.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do you mean Strinic at left back? I think he gets a wee bit exposed sometimes with Perisic bombing forward. I think Srna is still a top player although he seems to have lost a wee bit of his pace. It's sometimes hard for folk to believe that he has only just turned 34 even though he has 130 caps and played in 6 tournament finals.

I've always found it strange that Srna hasn't played in one of the bigger leagues in Europe. Been consistently good for years now and can defend as well as attack.