Kilts at the Euros - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kilts at the Euros

Haitch

Sorry - can admin please move to the Euro2016 area please.

Right, first the back story.

Me and my brother are mates with a couple of Polish guys. We watched the last qualifying game between the sides together (2-2), and during, we agreed that if either team qualified we would try and get 4 tickets for us all to go. So, Poland qualify and we have 4 tickets for the match on Thursday against Germany. 2 Polish fans & 2 Scottish fans.

Whilst we remain neutral, we will be in with the Poles. Question is, what should we wear? Obviously we could go in civvy clothes, but I fancy wearing the kilt. Perhaps with a Poland top.

Thoughts? Does that sound a bit odd or do you think it would go down alright?  

Cheers

Edited by Haitch
Please move

6 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

aye go for it there was a few kilts in Brazil 2014 wallpaper Ricky was there he was even on the telly on the beach and naw he didnae lift his kilt up have a good time 

Is the TAMB swear filter back?

10 hours ago, Boynze said:

why would you wear a kilt to a competition we have not qualified for? Screams of attention seeking to me.

Is the correct answer.

11 hours ago, Boynze said:

why would you wear a kilt to a competition we have not qualified for? Screams of attention seeking to me.

Agreed. I'm flying out to Marseille on Sunday with the wee man for Poland v Ukraine on the Tuesday (he's 4 years old and half Polish). Poland tops and shorts for us. He's got both home and away Poland tops and I bought a retro Poland top off eBay. It's not even crossed my mind to take a Scotland top let alone a kilt. 

I am flying out tomorrow to Lyon for a few days to go to the Northern Ireland v Ukraine, Czech Republic v Croatia and Iceland v Hungary games.

Not packed the bag yet but the kilt certainly wont be going. Undecided if I will take a Scotland top, certainly wont be wearing one to the Northern Ireland game.

Anyone that takes a kilt or a Scottish flag to a competition we weren't good enough to qualify for is attention seeking imo, just looks really sad & pathetic.  That idiot with the flag at the opening game ? , cringe!!!!......obviously all the "no scotland, no party" brigade on FB thought he was a legend!  

that  is the answer don't take your kilt or a Scotland top as we are not there.

I also think we should get uefa to ban showing the games in Scotland as we are not there so we shouldn't be able to watch it.

THE TRUE ANSWER IS DO WHAT YOU WANT WEAR WHAT YOU WILL FEEL COMFORTABLE IN AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

IF YOU WEAR SCOTLAND GEAR THEN IT WILL SHOW OTHERS WE ARE FANS OF OUR TEAM AND FOOTBALL NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT

11 minutes ago, saintydave said:

I'll be there.  Scotland top at each game I'm at. Nothing to do with attention seeking. Just something I want to do. Seems the TA fashion police are out and about even for non Scotland games now!

No.

We have no opinion on the matter.

I was at a rugby league final at Murrayfield where all the teams in the league were represented by supporters wearing the different tops . It added to the party atmosphere .  I know we are all a bit bitter and twisted that Scotland didn't make it , but I think  a few supporters in kilts or Scotland tops will go down well in the right setting i.e wearing them in Lille or Lens might not go down too well .

End of the day it's everyone to their own opinion on the matter, he asked for different opinions and he got them.  I think in this situation kilts are attention seeking but that's me, others don't agree.  I went to Brazil vs North Korea WC2010 game and three guys had kilts, glengarrys and scotland flags......at that game I thought they looked ridiculous but they seemed happy enough and nobody really paid them much attention.  If you want to wear one go for it, you'll only regret not doing it.  

My mate is there just now and I'm pretty sure he has his Scotland top and kilt with him and quite sure by now he would have had either or both on at some point throughout his holiday. Don't worry though I will text him and warm him about his choice of clothes he is wearing and the backlash he is sure to receive or perhaps already has received during his trip. I will keep you all informed of his response.......But I'm sure he will tell me where to go.

By the looks of things he is having the time of his life. I don't think his choice of clothes seems to be having any effect on him or the group he is with.

2 hours ago, stitch said:

that  is the answer don't take your kilt or a Scotland top as we are not there.

I also think we should get uefa to ban showing the games in Scotland as we are not there so we shouldn't be able to watch it.

THE TRUE ANSWER IS DO WHAT YOU WANT WEAR WHAT YOU WILL FEEL COMFORTABLE IN AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

IF YOU WEAR SCOTLAND GEAR THEN IT WILL SHOW OTHERS WE ARE FANS OF OUR TEAM AND FOOTBALL NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT

eh the OP was asking for advice / opinions, so the responses are wholly justified.

IMO it is attention seeking and a wee bit pathetic.

in fairness though, adults wearing football tops full stop is attention seeking and a wee bit pathetic.

48 minutes ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

I find adults suggesting what clothes other adults should wear a wee bit pathetic too.

It's a big thing, the other top thread is discussing Eastern Europes love of bum bags.

:lol:

You could argue it's the one occasion where we can't complain about Scotland fans only going for the party! If they want to dress up for it, good luck to them.

If I'd been going I'd have definitely taken a Scotland shirt at least.

It's no more attention seeking than the belgian guys with their Fellaini wigs or irish guys with their leprechaun gear. And it probably increases your chances of getting your hole. Or at least breaking some ice. And won't get you treated with suspicion.

If you want that you should go 'Pure Brit'. You need to get your trouser shorts, summer plimsolls (no socks) and a hollister tshirt or England/NIreland shirt. Seriously, full day in lyon yesterday, it was 100% the Brit uniform. Wasn't even sunny.

17 hours ago, Boynze said:

17 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

aye go for it there was a few kilts in Brazil 2014 wallpaper Ricky was there he was even on the telly on the beach and naw he didnae lift his kilt up have a good time 

Case proven your honour.