Worrying trend on Scottish players - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worrying trend on Scottish players

15 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Apart from Well and ICT that's not bad.  Certainly from where it was ten years ago.

Is it though? 51% of game time to Scottish players? Given financial constraints over the last 5 or so years, I expected us to be up nearer 70%.

Inverness should be ashamed.

2 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Is it though? 51% of game time to Scottish players? Given financial constraints over the last 5 or so years, I expected us to be up nearer 70%.

Inverness should be ashamed.

I remember when Celtic and Rangers barely had a Scottish player between them. 

How many English Players play in the English premiership  ...  how does it compare?

Although we should be comparing Sweden or Denmark or other smaller countries...

16 minutes ago, stocky said:

How many English Players play in the English premiership  ...  how does it compare?

Although we should be comparing Sweden or Denmark or other smaller countries...

A few years back (10-12 years ago?) about 65% of EPL players were not English. At Arsenal it was 80-85%.

I'm guessing it's similar or worse now.

What's different in England is that many of these guys are internationalists. In Scotland they are mostly crap.

ICT showing, with one of the lowest budgets in the division, that good scouting and bringing players in from the English lower leagues is potentially more effective than producing your own or signing overpriced Scottish players.

It looks like Lee Clark will do something similar at Killie this summer.

The benefits of youth development seem less and less appealing to the smaller clubs. 

4 hours ago, fraz65 said:

ICT showing, with one of the lowest budgets in the division, that good scouting and bringing players in from the English lower leagues is potentially more effective than producing your own or signing overpriced Scottish players.

It looks like Lee Clark will do something similar at Killie this summer.

The benefits of youth development seem less and less appealing to the smaller clubs. 

But this is where the SFA and work need to be more joined up. They need to find ways to incentives the use of young SCottish players by the clubs. It's stuff like this that they seem to have no ideas of how to improve the situation or change the set up for the better. Another reason why they are not fit for purpose.

38 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

But this is where the SFA and work need to be more joined up. They need to find ways to incentives the use of young SCottish players by the clubs. It's stuff like this that they seem to have no ideas of how to improve the situation or change the set up for the better. Another reason why they are not fit for purpose.

After the qualification success of Iceland, Northern Ireland, Albania, Wales and ROI and the failure of the Netherlands and Turkey, it's difficult to argue that having a strong domestic league is consistent with success at international level. One of the reasons for Scotland's recent failure is that not enough of our good young players leave for England.

19 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

After the qualification success of Iceland, Northern Ireland, Albania, Wales and ROI and the failure of the Netherlands and Turkey, it's difficult to argue that having a strong domestic league is consistent with success at international level. One of the reasons for Scotland's recent failure is that not enough of our good young players leave for England.

I agree with that, and one of the disappointments for me is how few of the young players that were getting a game a few years back have developed and since gone on to play at a higher level. But the only way there is any chance of that happening in practice is for young players to be getting game time in our leagues in the first place. I can see why clubs go for the short term fix of cheap players from elsewhere rather than invest in youth development, but it is short sighted.

1 hour ago, fraz65 said:

That's a fair comment but in order for them to leave for England they need to be getting played here in the first place. It has to start somewhere.

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

why is it worrying? what is the trend? Apart From Caley (which is shocking) I would say that is reasonably healthy and must be up there in comparison to other leagues.

exactly, how does thus compare to the previous 5-10 years. With these stats we have no trend, it might be that the stats show and improvement suggesting we are heading in the right direction.

also ict aside those stats are pretty healthy I would say.

22 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

I think Thistle may increase their percentage over the next few years. More and more players are being promoted from the development squad and hopefully some of them can become first team regulars

Hopefully so, I used to think of us as being quite a Scottish filled team until I seen that stat but now when I think about it we weren't really this season, there was points when between goalkeeper and defence we only had 1 Scot in Calum Booth, 1 Czech, 1 Belgian, 1 English and 1 Sierra Leonean made up the defence.

Midfield regularly had 1 English and 1 Ghanaian in it and when we played Pogba instead of Doolan we had a Guinean up front too.  

This is probably the most non Scottish Thistle side I have ever witnessed. 

But as you say, with the recent investment hopefully more Scottish youngsters make their way through. 

I'm assuming he means that it's potentially the start of a trend, which would be worrying. Or something.

A trend which is worrying is that the likes of Wales, Norn Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Albania, Iceland and Turkey who, at some point over the last 20-30 years were hopeless (England humping Turkey 8-0 not all that long ago springs to mind) have now improved and are now qualifying for major tournaments whereas we have regressed over that same period.

Why?