Real opening day fixtures - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Real opening day fixtures

Christmas Eve fixture would normally be great for me, as my wife works in retail, but she's on maternity leave, so there's not a snowmans chance in hell i'm getting to that one! (Probably be the last time she gets Xmas eve off before she retires at 86 or whatever retirement age becomes....)

Xmas eve 2011 at tynecastle, a 2-0 pumping (could've been 5-0) was the last away game I went to with my dad, so kind of fond memories of that apart from the football.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

So Motherwell and Partick thistle have both released statements, having been given (along with Hamilton) 2 old firm home games post split, as opposed to the 2 Celtic, 1 Rangers or vice versa that was the accepted norm.

I'm on one hand a bit saddened MFC have made such a big deal of it, because it feeds the whole "rangers are the only show in town", "blue pound" pish, but I do agree with their point.

When Rangers get sent to parkhead for a 3rd time post split to balance the fixtures, or Motherwell get the geographic "Motherwell end" of Hampden for a game v Celtic, i'll be delighted with them dispensing with all these unwritten rules or accepted norms.

Pretty embarrassing stuff from the likes of Motherwell and Thistle.

I realise it's not the fans fault.

Is it embarrassing though, or is it simply a depressing factuality of Scottish football? Stuart McCall has previously been quoted as saying that the loss of Rangers cost Motherwell £200k per game through ticket sales and hospitality when he was manager. He was then accused of being an apologist. MFC's statement today backs this up and confirms the importance of Rangers and their fans (whether you like it or not... and most don't) to the health of Scottish football moving forward.

4 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Is it embarrassing though, or is it simply a depressing factuality of Scottish football? Stuart McCall has previously been quoted as saying that the loss of Rangers cost Motherwell £200k per game through ticket sales and hospitality when he was manager. He was then accused of being an apologist. MFC's statement today backs this up and confirms the importance of Rangers and their fans (whether you like it or not... and most don't) to the health of Scottish football moving forward.

Don't talk utter keech.   Premiership teams have not needed you since you formed the new club and there would be no problem if you were still battling up the seaside leagues.   More clubs have announced being debt free without you. 

The issue is the disparity of income now.   Of course the new team are a factor, but not the reason.

The problem for me, and I assume, Thistle, is the huge difference between projected income.   Between ourselves and Dundee it's around £240k.   That's enough for 4 players on over £1k a week...  more than enough to continue the disparity with regards to league positions come the end of the season as it gives Dundee the financial clout to offer better contracts to players we've both targeted. 

Here are two words you might recognise:  Sporting Integrity 

It's nothing to do with The Rangers,  don't flatter yourself.    It's all about the fu¢king idiots who "run" our game. 

Looks like they've made a complete mess of the fixtures this season.

Obviously they are not 'run past' the clubs prior to finalising them.

In saying that the solution is quite straightforward. If the clubs don't think the game is being run well they are the ones with the power to remove Doncaster and board members.

2 hours ago, OLAS said:

Don't talk utter keech.   Premiership teams have not needed you since you formed the new club and there would be no problem if you were still battling up the seaside leagues.   More clubs have announced being debt free without you. 

The issue is the disparity of income now.   Of course the new team are a factor, but not the reason.

The problem for me, and I assume, Thistle, is the huge difference between projected income.   Between ourselves and Dundee it's around £240k.   That's enough for 4 players on over £1k a week...  more than enough to continue the disparity with regards to league positions come the end of the season as it gives Dundee the financial clout to offer better contracts to players we've both targeted. 

Here are two words you might recognise:  Sporting Integrity 

It's nothing to do with The Rangers,  don't flatter yourself.    It's all about the fu¢king idiots who "run" our game. 

So, you're agreeing with me that the top league clubs need that extra Rangers home game to ensure financial parity with the other clubs but also say I'm "talking keech"? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Sounds like you actually do agree with my points but are so immersed in your dislike of my club (hence the unnecessary digs about seaside leagues, new clubs, Sporting Integrity (including the curious capitalisation) and The Rangers) that you can't bring yourself to do so. Four digs in the one post really is rather childish but you wire in if you think it annoys.

I'm not sneering here like some other Rangers fans may be, simply pointing out that we bring more money to the table than most others, which clubs and Scottish football as a whole need to thrive. I really don't think there's anything wrong with that statement. It allows clubs to increase investment in playing staff, youth or whatever they choose, which cannot be bad for the current and future quality of our game.

I can assure you, if there's one thing I'm used to about Scottish football's opinion of Rangers, it's the lack of flattery.

All the clubs in the top league are interested in is getting punters through the door for when rangers and celtic come to town.Whats going to happen when the old firm get invited to play in a european league or even to england[although i doubt that will happen].No clubs are ever happy with the fixtures but over the season they tend to even themselves out.Like has been mentioned above if the clubs arent happy with those running the game then 1.it was them who voted those muppets in and 2.they have the power when the time is right to vote those muppets back up and change things.:spin:

4 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

So, you're agreeing with me that the top league clubs need that extra Rangers home game to ensure financial parity with the other clubs but also say I'm "talking keech"? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Sounds like you actually do agree with my points but are so immersed in your dislike of my club (hence the unnecessary digs about seaside leagues, new clubs, Sporting Integrity (including the curious capitalisation) and The Rangers) that you can't bring yourself to do so. Four digs in the one post really is rather childish but you wire in if you think it annoys.

I'm not sneering here like some other Rangers fans may be, simply pointing out that we bring more money to the table than most others, which clubs and Scottish football as a whole need to thrive. I really don't think there's anything wrong with that statement. It allows clubs to increase investment in playing staff, youth or whatever they choose, which cannot be bad for the current and future quality of our game.

I can assure you, if there's one thing I'm used to about Scottish football's opinion of Rangers, it's the lack of flattery.

You're not normally a wind-up merchant on here but I think I've been taken hook, line and sinker!  

...confirms the importance of Rangers and their fans to the health of Scottish football...

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was done by an absolute belter.    

Unless you're serious! :lol:

The SPL's split-nonsense was on the premise that each team would receive the same number of visits of the original old firm.   Why change now and create an unfair advantage for teams?  

Do away with the spit and we've no potential for this.  I think it's a failed experiment.   Last season the league table would have looked quite different without the split with four teams switching places (and receiving the prize money they deserved).  

BTW - There was no moaning a few seasons ago when Aberdeen and Celtic only visited Firhill once whilst other teams had them twice - this is fully expected and the following season we'd also expect Aberdeen and Celtic twice (which happened). 

54 minutes ago, Debian said:

I take it then all these clubs who are unhappy would be happy to charge OF fans the same as any other fan for those games?

I'm not sure I understand your point?

Motherwell are complaining about losing a category 1 game (or whatever they call it), they charge slightly more for those.

Do Rangers and Celtic charge the same for old firm games as they do for games v motherwell?

Would you be happy to accept it if Rangers got a 3rd trip to parkhead post-split?

*i think Motherwell charge all away fans too much, but that's a different matter.

57 minutes ago, Debian said:

I take it then all these clubs who are unhappy would be happy to charge OF fans the same as any other fan for those games?

I'd charge fans of Rangers and Celtic the amount that they us to go the Ibrox/Parkhead. 

32 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Anyone know when the first batch of tv games will be decided? Not expecting any of our initial games to be moved but would be a bawache if I book to come up and then they move games for TV.

Would imagine they will be waiting till football league fixtures get announced on Wednesday before any tv games are made as they are usually on at 12.30 on a Saturday too when spl games are on.  Think once they are out BT and Sky will meet to decide what games they want to show.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Motherwell are complaining about losing a category 1 game (or whatever they call it), they charge slightly more for those.

Make it in to the Top 6 and there won't be a problem then 

2 minutes ago, Debian said:

Make it in to the Top 6 and there won't be a problem then 

That's true.

Will be great crowds if we do, especially if there's still things to play for at the top of the table, as Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers will all be due at Fir Park.

Now that the SPFL have decided that Rangers and Celtic aren't a special case in terms of fixtures, given Rangers would be the team who broke into the top 6, they could (and should if required) be sent to Parkhead a 3rd time after the split. If that happens I completely accept the imbalance in the fixture list.

:ok:

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

That's true.

Will be great crowds if we do, especially if there's still things to play for at the top of the table, as Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers will all be due at Fir Park.

Now that the SPFL have decided that Rangers and Celtic aren't a special case in terms of fixtures, given Rangers would be the team who broke into the top 6, they could (and should if required) be sent to Parkhead a 3rd time after the split. If that happens I completely accept the imbalance in the fixture list.

:ok:

There's no imbalance though.

You are just expecting a cash cow!

9 minutes ago, Debian said:

I see your point, but it's also tougher games. I'd fancy our chances better at fir park.

The financial difference is significant too, it's worth 2 players.

A team who ultimately end up bottom 6 getting 4 old firm visits is a big boost to their finances, and the 2 players that could finance could be the difference between staying up and going down.

Give us your blue pounds!!

:P

8 minutes ago, Debian said:

It's been said before and i'll say it again. This is not about the cash cow, this is completely about the imbalance.

Yes the cash helps but Partick Thistle have been in the Premiership for 3 seasons now, all of which Rangers haven't been a part of and we have coped fine financially and have managed to stay up all 3 seasons.

Having expected 3 home games against Rangers and Celtic Thistle as well as Motherwell and Hamilton made the teams come up with expected budgets and expectations for the season but now have to compete with similar sized teams getting double the money they 3 teams are going to get, allowing for them to sign better players, finish higher in the league and therefore get more prize money etc and the circle continues!!!

Yes the money helps, but Thistle can cope without it, its the imbalance that makes it more difficult to compete!!

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

Anyone know when the first batch of tv games will be decided? Not expecting any of our initial games to be moved but would be a bawache if I book to come up and then they move games for TV.

TV fixtures are:

Celtic away

Rangers away

celtic away

Rangers away

celtic v rangers

celtic away

token Friday night game.....

47 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

TV fixtures are:

Celtic away

Rangers away

celtic away

Rangers away

celtic v rangers

celtic away

token Friday night game.....

Thanks for clarifying :lol:

They might push the boat out in week two and show Aberdeen v Hearts as well...

A quick browse through the news archive suggests it was mid july the tv picks were announced.

35 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Thanks for clarifying :lol:

They might push the boat out in week two and show Aberdeen v Hearts as well...

A quick browse through the news archive suggests it was mid july the tv picks were announced.

Good chance the Dons v Hearts game will be postponed due to Europe.

23 hours ago, Debian said:

The SPFL confirm there will be no fixture amendments nor will any club receive compensation.

Good move by the SPFL imo.

Didn't expect anything to happen but its utterly ridiculous because they've said they will make it up to Thistle, Hamilton and Motherwell next season by giving them the 4 games instead...

...However thats no bloody to use to those 3 teams if 1 or 2 of them end up getting relegated. If they don't get relegated then there's 1 or 2 new teams joining the league and how will it work with them? Will they have to keep arranging fixtures each year to ensure a few teams get 4 home games instead?

They have completely buggered this up for years to come when they simply could have just ensured all teams had 3 home games against Rangers and Celtic like they did in previous years. 

9 minutes ago, Garywag said:

Didn't expect anything to happen but its utterly ridiculous because they've said they will make it up to Thistle, Hamilton and Motherwell next season by giving them the 4 games instead...

...However thats no bloody to use to those 3 teams if 1 or 2 of them end up getting relegated. If they don't get relegated then there's 1 or 2 new teams joining the league and how will it work with them? Will they have to keep arranging fixtures each year to ensure a few teams get 4 home games instead?

They have completely buggered this up for years to come when they simply could have just ensured all teams had 3 home games against Rangers and Celtic like they did in previous years. 

It is meant to be 'Randomly Generated' remember.

After all the sporting integrity guff being spouted, it is only showing that these clubs see Rangers and Celtic as a pay day, and not an opportunity to try and compete.

I'd gladly see 2 of the 3 relegated over this nonsense, and the other the following season.