Real opening day fixtures - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Real opening day fixtures

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening fixtures:

Weekend of 6 August:

Partick Thistle v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Kilmarnock v Motherwell

St. Johnstone v Aberdeen

Ross County v Dundee

Heart of Midlothian v Celtic

Rangers v Hamilton Academical

New Year fixtures:

Weekend of 31 December

Partick Thistle v Kilmarnock

Heart of Midlothian v Aberdeen

Hamilton Academical v Motherwell

Dundee v St. Johnstone

Ross County v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Rangers v Celtic

Bizarrely Aberdeen & Hamilton are playing each other midweek all 3 times. Any other fixtures worked out that way?

http://spfl.co.uk/premiership/fixtures/

Lowlights for me include 

Christmas Eve games (No Boxing Day game)

Hogmany games, seriously WTF? Aberdeen away to Hearts on December 31st!

Also Old Firm Derby immediately after Malta v Scotland (Call offs anyone?). I thought we stopped OF games near any Scotland games for that very reason?

J

Just now, shaggycoo said:

When did we stop the tradition of league champs of previous season having a home game to unfurl the flag?? Been so long since my team won the league I haven't been paying attention of late!!! 

Read elsewhere that they requested an away game as the safe standing won't be ready yet.

Hogmany matches - stupid idea, Christmas eve matches - a stupid idea.

Doncaster now wants a game to be played in the USA. 

DO the cubs really agree to these ridiculous fixture arrangements? Its insanity.

the winter break is laughable because our winter is so hard to predict. 

25 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Doncaster now wants a game to be played in the USA. 

Was it not Dundee FC themselves who initially proposed that?

Fully agree with you on the winter break. You just know that whatever dates get picked for that, it will end up being the best football weather of the winter.

2 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

It's planned to be Dundee vs Celtic...

I thought you'd like to deport a certain fixture to USofA...

I'd happily see that fixture deported there but only if they promised to take all 3 or 4 of them.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

i doubt there would be many interested in a Dundee match in the USofA

we wont know till we try it... I bet the crowd will be higher than it would have been if its a Dens...

11 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Lowlights for me include 

Christmas Eve games (No Boxing Day game)

Hogmany games, seriously WTF? Aberdeen away to Hearts on December 31st!

Also Old Firm Derby immediately after Malta v Scotland (Call offs anyone?). I thought we stopped OF games near any Scotland games for that very reason?

J

This. Who, with a young family not necessarily me, is going to go to the football the day before Christmas. Crowds will be poor that day compared to the relatively well attended Boxing Day fixtures. 

Not to mention playing on Hogmanay with Aberdeen having to go to one of the busiest cities on the planet that day to then get back up for their own celebrations. And encouraging the old firm to drink and stumble back in to the city centre to pi$$ off Hogmanay revellers  

And the added an imbalance of rangers and Celtic matches to thistle, accies and well.

SPFL made an @rse if these. 

Always loved a Xmas eve fixture. Usually we win it.

My favourite was Love Street, December 24th 1983. We won 3-0 and then at night I got my Nat King from a burd that kept her tights on the whole time. 

At least I think I did. Now I'm starting to wonder....:huh:

So Motherwell and Partick thistle have both released statements, having been given (along with Hamilton) 2 old firm home games post split, as opposed to the 2 Celtic, 1 Rangers or vice versa that was the accepted norm.

I'm on one hand a bit saddened MFC have made such a big deal of it, because it feeds the whole "rangers are the only show in town", "blue pound" pish, but I do agree with their point.

When Rangers get sent to parkhead for a 3rd time post split to balance the fixtures, or Motherwell get the geographic "Motherwell end" of Hampden for a game v Celtic, i'll be delighted with them dispensing with all these unwritten rules or accepted norms.