Group B finale - Page 3 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Group B finale

Rossy

2 minutes ago, thewelk said:

I think their hearing was only today so they'll get their public knuckle rapping tomorrow (I suppose, I dont actually know...)

They've been given a fine and banned from selling tickets to known hooligans!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Boynze said:

interesting point, but you have to look also at what stage each tournament was at, getting out of the group stages here only gets you to the last 16, i.e. group stages in other tournaments. when we qualified for euro 92 there was only 8 teams, so effectively a quarter final. world cups of 74 and 78 were 16 team each.

The Welsh made the last 8 at the 58 World Cup.

We've been in 8, 16, 24 & 32 team tournaments. 100% failure rate to get out groups...

22 minutes ago, Boynze said:

seriously so impressed with wales. totally loathed them in a bitter football fan type of way after them beating us home and away in the last qualifying and was desparate for them to get beaten soundly, but fair play, they have been excellent in the first and this game, England had too much for them in the middle one.

what a job by chris coleman, taking over in tragic circumstance with the death of gary speed, and even with those 2 victories over us in the WC qualifying, we still finished above them (they shipped 6 away to Serbia, who finished 4th or 5th this euro qualifying). so he has had his work cut out.

and fair play to bale, often when superstars are from smaller, crappier teams they don't really seem up for it (i.e. gigs, c Ronaldo) but he dragged them through qualifying and is currently top scorer in the tournament (could have had several more tonight).

I think any fair minded fan can't help but be impressed by everyone involved.

Good post.

The funny thing is, Wales have arguably had stronger teams in the past (like in the 1980s and early 1990s) but they weren't nearly as successful.

Those Wales fans who've seen their team getting absolutely tanked at times (Serbia beat them 6-1 in WC 2014 qualifiers) must be pinching themselves at how far they have come.  I'm pleased them.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The Welsh made the last 8 at the 58 World Cup.

We've been in 8, 16, 24 & 32 team tournaments. 100% failure rate to get out groups...

agreed however you have to look at the context of the facts as well as the facts themselves.

I know it was a different footballing landscape in the early 90s, but how good does it sound to say Scotland reached the quarter finals of the European championships?

Well done Wales.

Outstanding tonight. Their fans were brilliant too, and sang the whole game, very loudly. It's been a long-long time for many of their diehards so I am not envious or bitter, good luck to them, and I am enjoying watching them play. 

Russia looked utterly hopeless, a dodgy, aging defence no match for Ramsey and Bale. It honestly looked like when you were short at 5s - so put the best 2 together against 5 average players, and the 2 ran the show. They were running absolute rings round that Russian dross. 

Wales - NI in the next round possibly. 

2 hours ago, Boynze said:

seriously so impressed with wales. totally loathed them in a bitter football fan type of way after them beating us home and away in the last qualifying and was desparate for them to get beaten soundly, but fair play, they have been excellent in the first and this game, England had too much for them in the middle one.

what a job by chris coleman, taking over in tragic circumstance with the death of gary speed, and even with those 2 victories over us in the WC qualifying, we still finished above them (they shipped 6 away to Serbia, who finished 4th or 5th this euro qualifying). so he has had his work cut out.

and fair play to bale, often when superstars are from smaller, crappier teams they don't really seem up for it (i.e. gigs, c Ronaldo) but he dragged them through qualifying and is currently top scorer in the tournament (could have had several more tonight).

I think any fair minded fan can't help but be impressed by everyone involved.

Agree wholeheartedly.  :ok:

10 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Well done Wales.

Outstanding tonight. Their fans were brilliant too, and sang the whole game, very loudly. It's been a long-long time for many of their diehards so I am not envious or bitter, good luck to them, and I am enjoying watching them play. 

Russia looked utterly hopeless, a dodgy, aging defence no match for Ramsey and Bale. It honestly looked like when you were short at 5s - so put the best 2 together against 5 average players, and the 2 ran the show. They were running absolute rings round that Russian dross. 

Wales - NI in the next round possibly. 

Just watched the highlights again this morning and it looks even better when reduced.

Wales totally dominated and outplayed Russia, which is no mean feat at all, and thoroughly deserved the victory. 

Fans were superb anaw.

I am jealous and envious of them and the supporters as it has been a long time for us anaw but I wish them well on the journey that I can only dream of sadly.