Group E Finale - Page 3 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Group E Finale

Toepoke

Just now, Donaldo87 said:

Spain and Engalnd only have themselves to blame for the draw looking like that

Spain do because they got lazy. England are in that position because they aren't as good as they think they are but even then they've spawnied one of the easier ties.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, thewelk said:

How f##ked off would you be right now if you were Turkish.

Yep, mentioned elsewhere Im going on sat and wanted them to be nin it.

17 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

On the night Ireland deserved to win, however this was totally down to this rule where head to head is considered more important than goal difference. Italy couldn't be arsed as they were already top,had goal difference been active there is no way they would have played that side or performed like that. 

It is pretty poor, gd shoild always be first after points, Italy woild have then come out swinging. Happy for my irish mates but really pretty gutted. Mcgeady and mcarthy are rats

36 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Three out of the last sixteen were in our qualifying group! That's nearly a fifth.

Aye, ours was the only group to produce 3 last 16 teams.  I suppose it backs up Strachan's assertion that it was the hardest group...

Well done Ireland.

They put in a great performance tonight and well deserved their winner. Good luck to the Irish in the next round, and again, without bringing us in to this - it just shows how bad we are - when Eire, NI, and Wales not just qualify, but get through to the next round. We should be demanding more from Strachan, he mouthed off about our lack of players yet the two O'Neills', Coleman haven't - they worked their arses off.

Anyhoos, this isn't about Scotland, well done Ireland!

35 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Portugal with their result jumped from the bottom (death) half of the draw to the top half. Makes you wonder about their backing off... But hard to predict Iceland.

Portugal were in a pretty precarious position, if Hungary scored again they were out. Understandable for them to settle for a game with England. Iceland then gave them a bonus just after full time in their game....

14 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Portugal were in a pretty precarious position, if Hungary scored again they were out. Understandable for them to settle for a game with England. Iceland then gave them a bonus just after full time in their game....

You think Portugal would prefer to play Croatia rather than England? Yer aff yer heed min.:lol:

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You think Portugal would prefer to play Croatia rather than England? Yer aff yer heed min.:lol:

A tough game, but in the right half of the draw. The winner of it has a great chance of the final....

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I am looking at this draw now and correct me if I am wrong but does this mean that one of these teams must / will be in the final? Switzerland, Poland, Croatia, Portugal, Wales, NI, Hungary, Belgium? 

That is one cushy half of the draw while the bottom half is like the group of death.

Portugal with their result jumped from the bottom (death) half of the draw to the top half. Makes you wonder about their backing off... But hard to predict Iceland. Still you have buy a ticket to win the lottery.

I was hopeful my tickets for the Marseille quarter final (QF1) might see a tasty France v Spain match.....but well and truly scuppered. Nothing is going right and don't know what to hope for. It's the winner of Switzerland/Poland v Croatia/Portugal now.

Switzerland and Poland both been bit disappointing - seen enough of Poland over the last year or two anyway! With one eye on who I want to be sharing a Marseille bar with........Poland and Croatia could be the worst scenario (?).......but maybe the best game! I'm sure we haven't seen the best of Portugal which you can say about one or two other teams.

What pairing would you want to see through to this game if you had tickets??

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ireland v France. Time for a bit of revenge? France haven't impressed me much so far. I think Ireland have a decent chance against them. Then a game against England could go either way. Ireland in the semis.

You're ruling out Iceland? Have you got an edible bunnet?                                

sorry thistle do nicely, couldn't resist  ;-) 

Edited by Och Aye

1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

You're ruling out Iceland? Have you got an edible bunnet?                                  sorry thistle do nicely, couldn't resist ;-) 

I thought England have already beaten Iceland. I'm sure they said that on the TV tonight.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

We could have played that team and still not won

Said similar 80 minutes in. 

41 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Well done Ireland.

They put in a great performance tonight and well deserved their winner. Good luck to the Irish in the next round, and again, without bringing us in to this - it just shows how bad we are - when Eire, NI, and Wales not just qualify, but get through to the next round. We should be demanding more from Strachan, he mouthed off about our lack of players yet the two O'Neills', Coleman haven't - they worked their arses off.

Anyhoos, this isn't about Scotland, well done Ireland!

I didn't hear it myself but was told G. Strachan was on tv tonight and when asked about Euro 2016 said we were better than many of the teams there. GS is one of my footballing heroes but if that's what he said then nothing will change. We're shite and if he'd said that but in a nicer way and followed it with "but hopefully in 5 to 10 years with a lot of change from the youngest upwards we can be there with the other home nations. It's no use saying "oh we beat them so if we'd been there we'd have beaten them again." We're just shite. Everything's shite. I'm on holiday, everything should be great but it's not, it's sheite. 

1 hour ago, JECK said:

That makes it worse if anything. We're fckun cursed it's beyond a joke

It suggests though that when we put our minds to it we can compete with good teams.  It was always going to be a fight between ourselves RoI and Poland for second and third places in our qualifying group.

Credit where it's due to the Irish though, they needed a win and they went out there and gave it a right good go.  They were somewhat lucky (not for the first time) in that they were up against a team who were already through and who put out a virtual second string team.  Even so, I reckon if we had been in the same position we'd have thought 'oh no, we're playing Italy!', filled our pants and ended up getting done over.  Or we would have won but the Swedes would have turned Belgium over and finished third instead. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Ireland v France. Time for a bit of revenge? France haven't impressed me much so far. I think Ireland have a decent chance against them. Then a game against England could go either way. Ireland in the semis.

You're ruling out Iceland? Have you got an edible bunnet? 

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought England have already beaten Iceland. I'm sure they said that on the TV tonight.

Aye right enough, how smug was Lineker when he worked out it was England v Iceland.  Will make it all the sweeter if they do them.

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

I'm I the only one mega jealous considering over two matches we bettered Ireland?

Sour grapes I know.

J

Come on, they've beaten Germany and Italy now in their campaign. Hats off I say. 

Ireland tonight reminded me of the Scotland team that played Sweden in the 1990 World Cup. That team came on the pitch against a highly-rated Sweden team (four years later they were World Cup semi-finalists) and within two minutes I knew we wouldn't lose. I could count on one hand how many times I've seen that level of passion from Scotland teams. Ireland show it regularly. Depressing.

10 hours ago, Stapes said:

Ireland tonight reminded me of the Scotland team that played Sweden in the 1990 World Cup. That team came on the pitch against a highly-rated Sweden team (four years later they were World Cup semi-finalists) and within two minutes I knew we wouldn't lose. I could count on one hand how many times I've seen that level of passion from Scotland teams. Ireland show it regularly. Depressing.

Similar to how a Scotland fan could, I can recount many times where Ireland either choked on a lead or put in an underwhelming performance. In fact, I can point to Ireland's two group games preceding Italy as examples! Those passionate displays that carry our teams beyond opposition who look to be better on paper are fairly rare and it's probably why we tend to appreciate them all the more.