Ireland - Page 2 - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland

adamntg

Fair play to the Irish in making it to the last 16, terrific achievement & it certainly meant a lot to the coaching staff, players and supporters! Normally I would be delighted to see scenes like that of the Irish after they defeated Italy but it was still extremely difficult to take as they qualified from our qualifying group! The euros have been tough to watch as I cant help but think we could/should have been there but it wasn't to be! I've got Italy in the sweepstake at work but after them fielding their reserve team & letting the irish beat them I hope they get pumped off the Spanish !! :P

Ps. Wtf you doing on here G_T_R when you're in France??? Get yourself out and enjoy every minute of it! :beer2:

10 minutes ago, Rory said:

Ps. Wtf you doing on here G_T_R when you're in France??? Get yourself out and enjoy every minute of it! :beer2:

Hahahaha ....:lol:...cheers mate

Finances are tight my friend and the body is tired after the last week.....glad to take a day or 2 away from the celebrations tbh.

Very glad to have brought my laptop with me.....it has reduced my expenditure...considerably;)

Hopefully I will be having a few celebratory pints on sunday evening in Lyon:)

1 minute ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:

Hahahaha ....:lol:...cheers mate

Finances are tight my friend and the body is tired after the last week.....glad to take a day or 2 away from the celebrations tbh.

Very glad to have brought my laptop with me.....it has reduced my expenditure...considerably;)

Hopefully I will be having a few celebratory pints on sunday evening in Lyon:)

Think if it was the Scots in France at the moment we'd either be doing the same or just buying the cheap jakie booze out the shops, with the way the £ is going anyway :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rory said:

Think if it was the Scots in France at the moment we'd either be doing the same or just buying the cheap jakie booze out the shops, with the way the £ is going anyway :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

bought a crate of 24 cans of horrendously cheap amsterdam lager the other night.......it nearly put me off booze for life:wacko:

11 minutes ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:

:lol::lol::lol:

bought a crate of 24 cans of horrendously cheap amsterdam lager the other night.......it nearly put me off booze for life:wacko:

You canny beat it! Hope you enjoy your last few days in the tournament!

Oh & stay safe, nae fighting now lads!

6 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Does there come a point where the Irish fans are trying too hard to be great guys and girls?

:lol:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/06/17/irish-fans-rescue-kidnapped-schoolgirls-from-boko-haram/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article

Irish Fans Rescue Kidnapped Schoolgirls From Boko Haram

UP TO 200 missing Nigerian schoolgirls have been freed after over two years in captivity, after a hundred or so Irish soccer fans swarmed into a Boko Haram camp with a few bags of cans and a flag bearing the hilarious slogan ‘down with this sort of thing’.

The Irish fans had been attending the Euro 2016 championship in France, but had set out on the voyage to free the kidnapped girls after running out of sound things to do between matches.

“Yeah, we had fixed a few spare tyres, danced with a few French cops, serenaded a bus full of convicted murderers. We were running out of ways to be gas” said Sean Hanley, who just loves the craic.

“People were losing interest in us. Joe.ie had gone nearly a full hour without posting a video titled ‘Check what these Irish fans did at Euro 2016’… so we said ‘ it, let’s go free them schoolgirls'”.

Myself and most of the Dublin TA have been sick with jealousy these past couple of weeks. Hard not to when your couponbook timeline is full of videos and posts of yer mates having a ball.

They deserve it though. Best fans at the tournament, no doubt.

Hope yer having a great one GTR, though never forget your lads are just a pale imitation of the TA right down to your plagiarised name (Green Army) and songbook (We're on the march with Jackie's army) :P:beer2:

16 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/06/17/irish-fans-rescue-kidnapped-schoolgirls-from-boko-haram/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article

UP TO 200 missing Nigerian schoolgirls have been freed after over two years in captivity, after a hundred or so Irish soccer fans swarmed into a Boko Haram camp with a few bags of cans and a flag bearing the hilarious slogan ‘down with this sort of thing’.

The Irish fans had been attending the Euro 2016 championship in France, but had set out on the voyage to free the kidnapped girls after running out of sound things to do between matches.

“Yeah, we had fixed a few spare tyres, danced with a few French cops, serenaded a bus full of convicted murderers. We were running out of ways to be gas” said Sean Hanley, who just loves the craic.

“People were losing interest in us. Joe.ie had gone nearly a full hour without posting a video titled ‘Check what these Irish fans did at Euro 2016’… so we said ‘ it, let’s go free them schoolgirls'”.

Myself and most of the Dublin TA have been sick with jealousy these past couple of weeks. Hard not to when your couponbook timeline is full of videos and posts of yer mates having a ball.

They deserve it though. Best fans at the tournament, no doubt.

Hope yer having a great one GTR, though never forget your lads are just a pale imitation of the TA right down to your plagiarised name (Green Army) and songbook (We're on the march with Jackie's army) :P:beer2:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That waterfordwhispers site is fantastic - they have some comedy gold on it

Cheers for the good wishes mate .....much appreciated.:)

24 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Brilliant :lol:

Lot of people saying that Irish fans have 'jumped the shark', that this is fun and good spirits driven from a need to be liked or live up to a reputation. Well, I can certainly see the point but, no matter what we it's fueled, be it from genuine fun-loving or just a self-conscious affectation of being fun-loving, if it contributes to a good feeling in the place they're in, then is it not good anyway?

I would hope that when the Scottish and the Irish get to WC 2018, there can be a mighty street party in Moscow between the two filled with good spirits, whether it be a try-hard thing or not.

I`m afraid street parties in Moscow will be much more likely orchestrated by local lads (and on their terms) than fans from around the world.

But there will be a lot of spirits inbetween for sure.

Was out and about in Lyon this morning/afternoon and the Irish fans were pretty quiet considering they were in the last 16.    

It's quite a big city right enough and a lot of fans were spread out.   Some were even in Primark just 90 minutes before kick-off :lol: 

The multiple groups I overheard didn't have a clue on how to get to the stadium.  Fortunately, France have put on lots of multi-lingual helpers who have indeed been extremely helpful by giving directions and other advice.

Some of the videos are similar to the Tartan Army stuff, but can't say it looked like that to me.   We're a wee bit more organised with events and marches...  that said, we've never had the opportunity to organise events or parties in the latter stages of a major tournament! 

1z6tcno.jpg 

52 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Was out and about in Lyon this morning/afternoon and the Irish fans were pretty quiet considering they were in the last 16.    

It's quite a big city right enough and a lot of fans were spread out.   Some were even in Primark just 90 minutes before kick-off :lol: 

The multiple groups I overheard didn't have a clue on how to get to the stadium.  Fortunately, France have put on lots of multi-lingual helpers who have indeed been extremely helpful by giving directions and other advice.

Some of the videos are similar to the Tartan Army stuff, but can't say it looked like that to me.   We're a wee bit more organised with events and marches...  that said, we've never had the opportunity to organise events or parties in the latter stages of a major tournament! 

1z6tcno.jpg 

Transport to that stadium is a complete joke. Transport back is a nightmare. Stadium is lovely though.

31 minutes ago, thewelk said:

Transport to that stadium is a complete joke. Transport back is a nightmare. Stadium is lovely though.

Waited on the airport express for around 20 minutes and only one two-carriage tram came for the fans in all that time.   I'd be surprised if everyone made the game on time. 

17 hours ago, OLAS said:

1z6tcno.jpg 

The key point is your last sentence , boys trying to organise last minute travel without mortgaging their grandchildren isn't easy even in the Internet age 

Some decided to stay on some decided to go back (me) and go back out but even with an insurance outbound  flight that covered any r2 match at 40 euro it has probably cost the guts of 700 not including spending money which isn't to be taken likely after already spending 2 weeks in a not particularly cheap France

fair few regulars couldn't make it back and s 7-800 day trip was snapped up by a different crowd 

16 minutes ago, JamesMcC said:

Seen this in Paris quite a few scots around seen it too, they all got a laugh from it 

Serious amount of shit unfunny embarrassing flags about  thankfully not all made the ground though unfortunately some did 

That may be the Walters flag that is currently reeking of piss in a bin somewhere in Paris 

2 minutes ago, Newryrep said:

Serious amount of shit unfunny embarrassing flags about  thankfully not all made the ground though unfortunately some did 

That may be the Walters flag that is currently reeking of piss in a bin somewhere in Paris 

Strange alright, seen loads of flags knocking about facebook before the tournament but they weren't to bee seen in France. Worst i seen was that one with the weather reporter Theresa Mannion, thankfully wasn't seen in any ground