Daily Record... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yeah, The Herald said that it would back independence if Scotland was dragged out of the EU against its will.

It'll be interesting to see what view The Record takes. Undoubtedly, there will be choices to be made and sides to be chosen.....from Scotland's print media but also from many in the Labour party in Scotland. 

If I was Dugdale I'd be careful about already lining up on the side of Johnston and Farage. 

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Yeah, The Herald said that it would back independence if Scotland was dragged out of the EU against its will.

It'll be interesting to see what view The Record takes. Undoubtedly, there will be choices to be made and sides to be chosen.....from Scotland's print media but also from many in the Labour party in Scotland. 

If I was Dugdale I'd be careful about already lining up on the side of Johnston and Farage. 

Historically I'd always thought it difficult to imagine indep without a broad consensus including Labour and Daily Record. Historically meaning before the demise of newspapers and Labour making them less significant indicators. Obviously it would be possible without them. But it just feels more likely now - like going into the 1997 ref rather than the 1979 one.

7 minutes ago, exile said:

Historically I'd always thought it difficult to imagine indep without a broad consensus including Labour and Daily Record. Historically meaning before the demise of newspapers and Labour making them less significant indicators. Obviously it would be possible without them. But it just feels more likely now - like going into the 1997 ref rather than the 1979 one.

Much will depend on Labour in Scotland being able to overcome their long standing pathological hatred of the SNP.

I'm not so sure that the initial comments from Dugdale suggest that they have. They seem determined to defend the Union, regardless of the any other circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Much will depend on Labour in Scotland being able to overcome their long standing pathological hatred of the SNP.

I'm not so sure that the initial comments from Dugdale suggest that they have. They seem determined to defend the Union, regardless of the any other circumstances.

This may be down to the incompetence of Dugdale more than anything else. As Brexit win was breaking overnight, Dugdale when asked about Brexit/indy said something like indeyref was totally different as it was to do with families or something like that, just parroting the 2014 mantra, not moving with the new reality

7 minutes ago, Rossy said:

If Jackie Baillie and similar like minded people like her have their way, they won't.

I honestly believe that lot would rather see us being brought to our knees by a rabid right wing Tory government than stand side by side with the SNP.

7 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

If Jackie Baillie and similar like minded people like her have their way, they won't.

I honestly believe that lot would rather see us being brought to our knees by a rabid right wing Tory government than stand side by side with the SNP.

I agree.

Labour lost sight of what they should be standing for years ago.