The backlash down south - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The backlash down south

3 hours ago, neilser said:

I'm starting to wonder whether Boris wanted to put up a good fight, enhance his leadership prospects for when Cameron stood down as originally intended (i.e. 2 years from now), but narrowly lose. He's at risk of being remembered  by the Londoners who voted Remain as the mayor who wrecked their city's economy as soon as he left office.

I posted the very same thing on Facebook last night after watching his speech yesterday for a second time. Definitely what his body language was saying - though it was on the back of him being booed as he left his home and that seemed to really shake him.

16 minutes ago, jenblueeyes said:

I posted the very same thing on Facebook last night after watching his speech yesterday for a second time. Definitely what his body language was saying - though it was on the back of him being booed as he left his home and that seemed to really shake him.

I'm fairly sure that if Cameron had opted for Leave, Boris would definitely have been Remain.

3 hours ago, Alan said:

First attention seeking thread for a while.

Rossy you'd be up to HR for describing someone as "coloured". It's not the 1980's our present day south Africa.

You're a dick. An utter uncle McTom.

Take that to a tribunal. ,

3 hours ago, Alan said:

First attention seeking thread for a while.

Rossy you'd be up to HR for describing someone as "coloured". It's not the 1980's our present day south Africa.

Not for the first time actually, I've realised that you're a coward.

Your posts are full of sneering, anti-Scottish arrogance, that add nothing to any conversation.

You're a laughable, ridiculous apologist. But thanks for making that obvious :ok: 

10 hours ago, Stevie_Notts said:

I'm more a lurker in here these days, but still feel that the TAMB is the best banter of all the forums i contribute to and folk speak from the heart. No more so than on political matters. Folk call it like it is so I thought i'd post this and share it with you.

Went into work yesterday morning, nothing soecial, just a regular Friday, alas having just heard David Cameron's resignation speech on the radio on the way into work. Not many of my workmates really discuss politics, even less so with me as I'm pretty on the ball, but folk do ask my opinion genuinely on issues now and again, I'm known for my views on IndyRef and it pops up in lighthearted banter occasionally still.

Was walking through office reception where we have the radio on, Radio 4 had a piece on the possibility of IndyRef2 and the consequences of Brexit. Senior manager chucked some banter about "you guys will be out then" to which I replied "Definatly looking that way". The company MD launched into a epic rant merely yards away.

"We're supposed to be a United Kingdom", "You've been here (England) all your life and call yourself Scottish, and you've barely ever lived there, if you don't like it down here then why don't you just go home"

...you could hear a pin drop. Everyone in the room scuttled off.

Now...I'm pretty thick skinned. But this really shook me all day. It wasnt banter. It was properly abusive in tone and in delivery and I'm not happy about it. Not happy one bit.

This is the company MD, my employer. So guessing theres a choice. Remain or Leave.

Am I missing soemthing.

If this had been said about your skin colour, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The same should apply about your nationality. There's a massive difference between your banter with colleagues and what this guy has just done. It's completely unacceptable.

The guy is clearly a racist. Seek out legal advice, and I sincerely hope you take the little Englander to the cleaners

18 hours ago, Stevie_Notts said:

I'm more a lurker in here these days, but still feel that the TAMB is the best banter of all the forums i contribute to and folk speak from the heart. No more so than on political matters. Folk call it like it is so I thought i'd post this and share it with you.

Went into work yesterday morning, nothing soecial, just a regular Friday, alas having just heard David Cameron's resignation speech on the radio on the way into work. Not many of my workmates really discuss politics, even less so with me as I'm pretty on the ball, but folk do ask my opinion genuinely on issues now and again, I'm known for my views on IndyRef and it pops up in lighthearted banter occasionally still.

Was walking through office reception where we have the radio on, Radio 4 had a piece on the possibility of IndyRef2 and the consequences of Brexit. Senior manager chucked some banter about "you guys will be out then" to which I replied "Definatly looking that way". The company MD launched into a epic rant merely yards away.

"We're supposed to be a United Kingdom", "You've been here (England) all your life and call yourself Scottish, and you've barely ever lived there, if you don't like it down here then why don't you just go home"

Now...I'm pretty thick skinned. But this really shook me all day. It wasnt banter. It was properly abusive in tone and in delivery and I'm not happy about it. Not happy one bit.

This is the company MD, my employer. So guessing theres a choice. Remain or Leave.

Am I missing soemthing.

The MD is a short-sighted fud.

If you've lived most of your life in England but were born in Scotland or your parents are Scottish the you'll be able to claim dual English and Scottish/EU citizenship.

You'll be able to jog through customs without a care while he'll be getting a fist up his arse to check for heroin at every airport he lands at for the rest of his puff.

13 hours ago, Rossy said:

You're a dick. An utter uncle McTom.

Take that to a tribunal. ,

Somebody has been on the Heineken. I bet the last sentence sounded dramatic in your fuzzy head.

Your posts are full of sneering, anti-Scottish arrogance, that add nothing to any conversation.

You're a laughable, ridiculous apologist. But thanks for making that obvious :ok: 

I live, work and bring my kid up in Scotland. You don't. You have your moments of aggression on here and you let yourself down. Trying to link African American slavery with Scotland is mind boggling.

Look at this thread. A grown man like yourself living outside Scotland for decades comes onto a board with a sorry looking for sympathy. A Scottish Rosa Parkes. Everyone jumps in like teenage girls offering sympathy. I'm supposed there is no crowdfunder set up.

Guest BlueGaz

Political issues will always be subject to dispute and disagreement because they are normally very difficult issues.  I think your inability to respect others arguments makes you a greater 'dick'.  You take the morale high ground constantly, but just come across as an utter fanny.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Yes. In South Africa "coloured" is an acceptable term - mixed race etc but its not very PC in UK.

its not an "acceptable term"

It's an ethnic group - its not even mixed race - whole families of fathers, daughters, wive's, cousins - their relatives are coloured going back to their greeat grand parents before you find a whitey

With living in Cambridgeshire I get the feeling from some folk that they are worried that they voted to leave. Yes it might have seemed the right choice at the time but now they are waking up to the reality of what has happened.

For me I can see this working out for England in the long term politically speaking. A more right wing Tory party emerging after Cameron steps down and them waiting as long as possible before holding a general election thus leading to more cuts and austerity. A possible win at that election as they blame the cuts on leaving the EU but then as they add even more cuts people start rising up and the possibility of demonstrations akin to the polll tax riots of the 90's. The labour party will split with the blairites on one side and the old school types on the other meaning no effective opposition for the Tory's. As people down south see an independent Scotland starting to work well they will wonder why they are paying more and more and push them more towards changing the political landscape. It could see a new left of centre party emerge as the reality of the Tory's moving farther to the right hits home. Pure speculation but a scenario I can see happening

On 6/25/2016 at 10:33 AM, Stevie_Notts said:

Am I missing soemthing.

Apologies, haven't read the thread in its entirety.  I would suggest you are now pretty much unsackable!  I would keep a note of this outburst, maybe get a witness or two to sign a statement and keep this somewhere safe. If you want this resolved, I would ask for a meeting with the MD in which you need need to tell him that his conduct was completely unacceptable.  Maybe worth explaining to him, that he does not know your views, your political stance, your background, nothing, yet in front of co-workers, he lashed out at you, stereotyped you and was pretty much racist/bigoted in doing so.  Explain that an apology from him would clear the air and allow you all to carry on. Of course, if you want to engineer constructive dismissal with considerable compensation, let things fester!

Edited by SMcoolJ

10 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Apologies, haven't read the thread in its entirety.  I would suggest you are now pretty much unsackable!  I would keep a note of this outburst, maybe get a witness or two to sign a statement and keep this somewhere safe. If you want this resolved, I would ask for a meeting with the MD in which you need need to tell him that his conduct was completely unacceptable.  Maybe worth explaining to him, that he does not know your views, your political stance, your background, nothing, yet in front of co-workers, he lashed out at you, stereotyped you and was pretty much racist/bigoted in doing so.  Explain that an apology from him would clear the air and allow you all to carry on. Of course, if you want to engineer constructive dismissal with considerable compensation, let things fester!

On 6/25/2016 at 11:33 AM, Stevie_Notts said:

Am I missing soemthing.

should stay quiet 

but send email to 1 of the guys who witnessed this, saying that you are upset asking their advice - no matter what their reply is - you have now documented this with a timeline for future reference

you could always discuss with boss in future, but have now roped in a witness whether they are willing or not   (yes i am a but used to it due to being employed who i am employed by )