The backlash down south - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The backlash down south

I'm more a lurker in here these days, but still feel that the TAMB is the best banter of all the forums i contribute to and folk speak from the heart. No more so than on political matters. Folk call it like it is so I thought i'd post this and share it with you.

Went into work yesterday morning, nothing soecial, just a regular Friday, alas having just heard David Cameron's resignation speech on the radio on the way into work. Not many of my workmates really discuss politics, even less so with me as I'm pretty on the ball, but folk do ask my opinion genuinely on issues now and again, I'm known for my views on IndyRef and it pops up in lighthearted banter occasionally still.

Was walking through office reception where we have the radio on, Radio 4 had a piece on the possibility of IndyRef2 and the consequences of Brexit. Senior manager chucked some banter about "you guys will be out then" to which I replied "Definatly looking that way". The company MD launched into a epic rant merely yards away.

"We're supposed to be a United Kingdom", "You've been here (England) all your life and call yourself Scottish, and you've barely ever lived there, if you don't like it down here then why don't you just go home"

...you could hear a pin drop. Everyone in the room scuttled off.

Now...I'm pretty thick skinned. But this really shook me all day. It wasnt banter. It was properly abusive in tone and in delivery and I'm not happy about it. Not happy one bit.

This is the company MD, my employer. So guessing theres a choice. Remain or Leave.

Am I missing soemthing.

17 minutes ago, Stevie_Notts said:

I'm more a lurker in here these days, but still feel that the TAMB is the best banter of all the forums i contribute to and folk speak from the heart. No more so than on political matters. Folk call it like it is so I thought i'd post this and share it with you.

Went into work yesterday morning, nothing soecial, just a regular Friday, alas having just heard David Cameron's resignation speech on the radio on the way into work. Not many of my workmates really discuss politics, even less so with me as I'm pretty on the ball, but folk do ask my opinion genuinely on issues now and again, I'm known for my views on IndyRef and it pops up in lighthearted banter occasionally still.

Was walking through office reception where we have the radio on, Radio 4 had a piece on the possibility of IndyRef2 and the consequences of Brexit. Senior manager chucked some banter about "you guys will be out then" to which I replied "Definatly looking that way". The company MD launched into a epic rant merely yards away.

"We're supposed to be a United Kingdom", "You've been here (England) all your life and call yourself Scottish, and you've barely ever lived there, if you don't like it down here then why don't you just go home"

Now...I'm pretty thick skinned. But this really shook me all day. It wasnt banter. It was properly abusive in tone and in delivery and I'm not happy about it. Not happy one bit.

This is the company MD, my employer. So guessing theres a choice. Remain or Leave.

Am I missing soemthing.

I work in Glasgow but all my clients are English. During indyref most of them were really respectful and didnt quiz me on my vote .,Others however were openly rude and sneering about our referendum.

The other day, just before the eu  referendum , one of them asked how i thought it would go. I said i thought remain would win even though the polls were very close. He said 'yes you are probably right' just the same as in the scottish referendum when all the intelligent people came out to vote 'no ' on the day . He said this without having the slightest idea of how I had voted . I found the indyref period very difficult. Most of my colleagues voted no and openly told clients. Those clients therefore felt they could ask me and it put me in a difficult position. It should not make any difference but it does, if I had told them my position it would have changed the dynamics of the relationship . There really are times politics should not be drawn into a situation.

I think people down south thought the scottish referndum was a wee joke. They are not laughing now. 

Not all but quite a few english folk I have seen react very angrily to the idea that Scotland will now have another vote. I think this is going to really enrage many of them. This whole situation is really out of control now. Cameron, Boris, Farrage & Gove are going down in history as the men who broke Britain but especially Cameron, calling this vote was a huge mistake. It provided a long awaited channel for the working class to express their utter frustration with the way things have gone for them. And boy they too the opportunity. I think Boris & Gove are shitting themselves now and really did not expect to win. What a mess this is now. Hilarious and scary in equal measure. I would avoid talking about to folk, powder-keg stuff now compared to the first indy ref.

ps speak to an employment lawyer and see what they advise. Could be a case for constructive dismissal down the road...

Edited by thplinth

I live in the south east not and this is not exactly the same but one of our admin staff says she is feeling like an outsider more and more over the last few weeks. She's from Latvia and has been her 14 years and raised a family here. She says some of the people she felt were friends have acted differently around her, shes heard these so called friends saying they want their country back from foreigners and don't want more immigrants. Its heartbreaking stuff. She' a harder worker than most brits I've ever met. 

We've become very friendly with her, she and her partner are better company than the English we work with. I flipped at one of them yesterday when they told me the British Government would never allow Scotland to have a 2nd referendum. 

Edited by vanderark14

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think people down south thought the scottish referndum was a wee joke. They are not laughing now. 

Dead right there.

Its not funny now for a lot of folk. The worst are the English Labour folk who campaigned for "Please don't go" types who are really finding a consience issue.

36 minutes ago, Stevie_Notts said:

Problem is....as hes the MD, he's the top man that complaints escalate to.  :mad:

Clear case for constructive dismissal on race grounds there.  No limit on tribunal awards in those cases as well. 

90 percent of my customers are in England.  While there was some jokey banter from workers jt was all said with a smile. The chairman,  directors etc were much more snidey, nasty and bloody ignorant. I didnt rise to it as its my livelihood.  The next few months may not be pleasant. ..

2 hours ago, Stevie_Notts said:

" if you don't like it down here then why don't you just go home"

Am I missing soemthing.

Do you like it down there?

if yes, why not say that?

if not, why don't you just go 'home'

if you feel you can't leave it, the easiest and less risky approach would be to have a chat about it with the md, explain how you felt at the time and how you feel now, he's likely to respond in a different manner other than the heat of the moment response you got initially. 

All this talk of leaving, running to unions, complaints procedures is a bit OTT imo and not likely to help matters, much more likely to further blow things out of proportion. 

A little chat man to man stands a far better chance of a resolution. 

Speaking of of a resolution, what would you like the outcome to be? What would rectify the situation in your eyes? Best you know your desired outcome ahead of any meeting, complaint, action. 

Good luck

Edited by McExpat

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Not all but quite a few english folk I have seen react very angrily to the idea that Scotland will now have another vote. I think this is going to really enrage many of them. This whole situation is really out of control now. Cameron, Boris, Farrage & Gove are going down in history as the men who broke Britain but especially Cameron, calling this vote was a huge mistake. It provided a long awaited channel for the working class to express their utter frustration with the way things have gone for them. And boy they too the opportunity. I think Boris & Gove are shitting themselves now and really did not expect to win. What a mess this is now. Hilarious and scary in equal measure. I would avoid talking about to folk, powder-keg stuff now compared to the first indy ref.

ps speak to an employment lawyer and see what they advise. Could be a case for constructive dismissal down the road...

Watching everyone is actually really funny (if you can divorce yourself from it) Gove and Boris look like wee boys that have been egging on Cameron to push the red button. then he done it and all hell breaks loose. Now they're all just standing there mouths open thinking, aww feck.

Boris had protesters right outside his house blocking his car etc.

If this was a walk out to a fight i'd say Boris is walking in looking shook to feck. Spinks Tyson level shook.

1 hour ago, McExpat said:

A little chat man to man stands a far better chance of a resolution. 

That's the first question you'll be asked if you decide to go to a tribunal. They don't want to deal with stuff that could be dealt with quite easily face to face.

I would guess now that he's done it once he may feel more relaxed about doing it again. And as is the case with bullies - if you don't face up to them they see an easy target.

Write down everything - dates, witnesses, everything.

5 hours ago, Stevie_Notts said:

Am I missing soemthing.

You've got a stick on claim under the Equality Act for race discrimination - if you raise such a claim you're also protected against victimisation. Might be best to raise a grievance first, but ultimately you'll need to contact ACAS if you want to do something about this as they'll have to attempt conciliation with your employer before you can go to the tribunal - they'll also issue you with an Early Conciliation certificate if they can't get a settlement for you which you need in order to make your claim to the tribunal. You'd need to contact ACAS within 3 months and it would help if you note down what was said and who witnessed it while it's fresh in your mind.

2 hours ago, phart said:

Watching everyone is actually really funny (if you can divorce yourself from it) Gove and Boris look like wee boys that have been egging on Cameron to push the red button. then he done it and all hell breaks loose. Now they're all just standing there mouths open thinking, aww feck.

Boris had protesters right outside his house blocking his car etc.

If this was a walk out to a fight i'd say Boris is walking in looking shook to feck. Spinks Tyson level shook.

I'm starting to wonder whether Boris wanted to put up a good fight, enhance his leadership prospects for when Cameron stood down as originally intended (i.e. 2 years from now), but narrowly lose. He's at risk of being remembered  by the Londoners who voted Remain as the mayor who wrecked their city's economy as soon as he left office.

Edited by neilser
spelling

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Clear case for constructive dismissal on race grounds there.  No limit on tribunal awards in those cases as well. 

For constructive dismissal Stevie would need to resign as a consequence of his treatment - it's a huge step for an employee as it's all or nothing, and depends if the tribunal agrees that the conduct destroyed the trust and confidence needed for an employment relationship.

Staying in employment if feasible would be less risky and would still enable an action for race discrimination to be raised.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

May we'll be wrong but I thought that anti Scottish comments were not considered racist under English law.

Can't find them at the moment but there have been a few cases where that's been upheld. 

39 minutes ago, neilser said:

For constructive dismissal Stevie would need to resign as a consequence of his treatment - it's a huge step for an employee as it's all or nothing, and depends if the tribunal agrees that the conduct destroyed the trust and confidence needed for an employment relationship.

Staying in employment if feasible would be less risky and would still enable an action for race discrimination to be raised.

Consult an employment lawyer, not the TAMB , would be my advice. 

6 hours ago, Stevie_Notts said:

Am I missing soemthing.

Do the senior manager and MD know you spell it DEFINATLY.