England - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England

DoonTheSlope

On evidence so far if England don't win this years euros then they'll never win anything

Who could grudge them it if they did? They're probably the only team that's went all out to attack the opposition rather than sit in. 

Thank fukk they can't seem to find the net

I don't agree at all with the original post. France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Portugal are just some of the countries that I think have played well and attacked other teams. Maybe not in every game, but I've seen enough from them in patches to know that they all have a lot of quality and will be difficult to beat.

I've been very impressed with England at this tournament though. We just haven't scored the goals that I think our overall play deserved. That's partly down to poor finishing, but I also don't think we've had much in the way of good fortune. Normally when you have as many chances as we did against Slovakia, you expect to get at least one goal. I give credit to their defenders for getting some good blocks in, but normally you can expect one of those shots to flick off a defender and beat the keeper. I'm thinking of examples such as Henderson connecting sweetly with a left foot volley, but the ball hitting the defender in the face/head. I'm confident that we will beat Iceland. Ideally I'd like us to score early so that they (eventually) have to come at us, but even if that doesn't happen, I'm confident that we will eventually break them down. If we play like we did against Slovakia and create as many chances as that, I don't think we can be as unlucky again. I've been watching England since 1986 and I've seen us play worse than we did against Slovakia, but end up winning, on probably twenty or more occasions. I'm predicting we'll win by two or more goals tomorrow. I don't think I've ever been this confident going into a knockout game.

It's not in England's DNA to win anything. They are just an international version of Huddersfield Town; get everyone fired up, run rings around other teams then screw up. Iceland's game is built around strong defence; England are garbage at breaking down robust defences so  0-0 & an exit on penalties looms methinks.

Huddersfield town, England & the Labour Party...God was having a right giggle when he put me on this Earth

Edited by Huddersfield

4 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

It's not in England's DNA to win anything. They are just an international version of Huddersfield Town; get everyone fired up, run rings around other teams then screw up. Iceland's game is built around strong defence; England are garbage at breaking down robust defences so  0-0 & an exit on penalties looms methinks.

Huddersfield town, England & the Labour Party...God was having a right giggle when he put me on this Earth

You should try supporting Dundee Utd, Scotland and the Monster Raving Haggis Party mate. That's tough!

PS "You were luurky!"

Edited by fringo

2 minutes ago, fringo said:

You should try supporting Dundee Utd, Scotland and the Monster Raving Haggis Party mate. That's tough!

Losers of the world unite...we have nothing to lose but our perpetual misery & humiliation :-)

England are in the wrong half of the draw i think, so no chance. The final will I fear be Portugal v's someone else from the hard side of the draw and it will be a shit game full of diving and histrionics from Wankaldo with Portugal deservedly losing mostly for being whanks but still a shit game all the same as it always is with those... whanks.

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

England are in the wrong half of the draw i think, so no chance. The final will I fear be Portugal v's someone else from the hard side of the draw and it will be a shit game full of diving and histrionics from Wankaldo with Portugal deservedly losing mostly for being whanks but still a shit game all the same as it always is with those... whanks.

Personal preferences aside I've got a tenner on with my son that Portugal will win so they better had.