Whitby , Scarborough and Filey - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whitby , Scarborough and Filey

irnbruman

Had a wee trip down memory lane - used to work at Butlins Filey in 1979 - never been back since - drove down from Newcastle combining sightseeing with golf at each of these places. Night out in Scarborough - seen better days - seafront just really amusement arcades. Had breakfast at café in Peasholm Park - fantastic setting on a beautiful Saturday morning  -spoiled only be the gathering of Morris dancers and clog dancers with their bells and shrieking -fooking horrendous. Went to Whitby at lunchtime - what a fabulous town = absolutely loved it - well worth a visit - probs best seaside resort Ive ever been to.

My lad has been living in Scarborough for the last few years & I have a bit of a soft spot for the place. There's a good few decent pubs if you know where to look. I'm partial to the Highlander (around 200 whisky bottles on display all round the pub & a few behind the bar) & The Cask is a good spot. The Newcastle Packet (South Shore), although a bit of a dump, is steeped in the history of the place & there's others dotted around various back streets.

I don't know Whitby as well but it's a beautiful place for sure...my experiences of Filey are less positive though!

I think I just looked in the wrong bits - stayed at the Esplanade Hotel - which was fine - walked along the front from there and up the street leading to the pedestrian precinct - ended up having a couple of pints in wetherspoons - couldn't remember where I went on our days off from Butlins in 1979 - as was pissed every time I came to Scarborough. Scarborough South Cliff golf course was excellent though.

6 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

I think I just looked in the wrong bits - stayed at the Esplanade Hotel - which was fine - walked along the front from there and up the street leading to the pedestrian precinct - ended up having a couple of pints in wetherspoons - couldn't remember where I went on our days off from Butlins in 1979 - as was pissed every time I came to Scarborough. Scarborough South Cliff golf course was excellent though.

If you were at the Esplanade you'd have been no more than a short walk away from the Highlander & 1/2 mile or so from a few decent pubs (incl. The cask) around the Ramshill area. The Wetherspoons near the station is a decent enough pub mind you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26 June 2016 at 5:57 PM, irnbruman said:

Had a wee trip down memory lane - used to work at Butlins Filey in 1979 - never been back since - drove down from Newcastle combining sightseeing with golf at each of these places. Night out in Scarborough - seen better days - seafront just really amusement arcades. Had breakfast at café in Peasholm Park - fantastic setting on a beautiful Saturday morning  -spoiled only be the gathering of Morris dancers and clog dancers with their bells and shrieking -fooking horrendous. Went to Whitby at lunchtime - what a fabulous town = absolutely loved it - well worth a visit - probs best seaside resort Ive ever been to.

Is there still some kind of Spanish galleon in the water at that park, some old family memories came back there about rowing a boat at that place.

2 hours ago, giblet said:

Is there still some kind of Spanish galleon in the water at that park, some old family memories came back there about rowing a boat at that place.

I was going to ask the same question. Only ever went to Scarborough once as a kid and that galleon is the only thing I can remember about the place.

On 7/6/2016 at 7:38 AM, giblet said:

Jeez, you just took me back about 30 odd years there!  I knew I'd been to Scarborough but was pretty young and don't remember much about it but as soon as you mentioned the galleon memories came flooding back!! 

I seem to remember digging for gold coins and men dressed as pirates!!!

Edited by Fairbairn

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2016 at 8:54 AM, Fairbairn said:

Jeez, you just took me back about 30 odd years there!  I knew I'd been to Scarborough but was pretty young and don't remember much about it but as soon as you mentioned the galleon memories came flooding back!! 

I seem to remember digging for gold coins and men dressed as pirates!!!

just remember it was always pishing with rain and there may have been some kind of water park nearby?