Messi - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strange decision given that the World Cup is only 2 years away and he's only 29.

I hope he reconsiders his decision because I think he's the best player in the world and the World Cup will be poorer without him.

He also seems like a very decent and likeable person.

34 minutes ago, George Saint said:

Strange decision given that the World Cup is only 2 years away and he's only 29.

I hope he reconsiders his decision because I think he's the best player in the world and the World Cup will be poorer without him.

He also seems like a very decent and likeable person.

Si.

17 hours ago, Parklife said:

Pathetic. Like an 11 year old rage-quitting a game of FIFA while 3-0 down. 

15 hours ago, ShedTA said:

footballers nowadays. shows what the modern game has become. very sad.

Agreed, totally disgraceful, really went down in my estimation after this, he must be the most blessed person currently living from Argentina and this is how he behaves because he hasn't won in four finals, the rest of the country would give a finger to play for the national team for one game or get his appearance money!

18 hours ago, Davied14 said:

Mascherano and Aguero have also quit international football.

This makes me suspicious that there's more to it than just retiring. 

Possible issue with the coach or the FA?

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

This makes me suspicious that there's more to it than just retiring. 

Possible issue with the coach or the FA?

From what I read the other day there are a number of players who have concerns about the way the FA is being run, so it may be a move by Messi and others to trigger a change of leadership.

2 hours ago, Mox said:

From what I read the other day there are a number of players who have concerns about the way the FA is being run, so it may be a move by Messi and others to trigger a change of leadership.

It does seem more realistic than all the players suddenly wanting to retire.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:15 PM, Armitage Shanks said:

He is an incredible player and unlike Maradona not a total c^nt

I think that's very harsh on Maradona. I'm not saying Maradona is perfect or that he hasn't made mistakes in his life, but if you consider what he had to deal with as the highest profile player in the world, I don't think he did too badly.

If you watch videos of him playing and see how many times he was badly fouled, he actually very rarely reacts to it (especially in his younger days). You also don't see him showing his disappointment on the pitch if one of his less talented team mates made a mistake (compare that to Cristiano Ronaldo and his constant displays of annoyance). His team mates speak highly of him and how he acted off the pitch, saying that he didn't act like a 'big time charlie' even though he was light years ahead of anyone else in terms of ability.

I love Maradona so much. If I was picking my all-time XI, he would be the first name on my team sheet. He had everything. He looked elegant when he played, but he also had the spirit of a street fighter. I like Messi too, but he has always had the luxury of playing in better teams, and in an era where there was more protection from bad tackles.

3 hours ago, George Saint said:

I think that's very harsh on Maradona. I'm not saying Maradona is perfect or that he hasn't made mistakes in his life, but if you consider what he had to deal with as the highest profile player in the world, I don't think he did too badly.

If you watch videos of him playing and see how many times he was badly fouled, he actually very rarely reacts to it (especially in his younger days). You also don't see him showing his disappointment on the pitch if one of his less talented team mates made a mistake (compare that to Cristiano Ronaldo and his constant displays of annoyance). His team mates speak highly of him and how he acted off the pitch, saying that he didn't act like a 'big time charlie' even though he was light years ahead of anyone else in terms of ability.

I love Maradona so much. If I was picking my all-time XI, he would be the first name on my team sheet. He had everything. He looked elegant when he played, but he also had the spirit of a street fighter. I like Messi too, but he has always had the luxury of playing in better teams, and in an era where there was more protection from bad tackles.

first name? Playing him in goal then?

21 hours ago, George Saint said:

Agree with that. IMO, the 1986 Argentina team were better than some folk give them credit for. It wasn't just about Maradona. Although he almost single-handedly beat England, in a lot of the other games Argentina played very well as a team. Burruchaga was immense in the final especially.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Agree with that. IMO, the 1986 Argentina team were better than some folk give them credit for. It wasn't just about Maradona. Although he almost single-handedly beat England, in a lot of the other games Argentina played very well as a team. Burruchaga was immense in the final especially.

Unintentional? :lol: