Wimbledon 2016 - Page 5 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wimbledon 2016

Parklife

The commentator said well done to Scotland's Andy Murray and Sue Ruder then said he has raised the British sporting profile. 

Had a laugh a Henmans face, he clearly is gutted he never reached the final.

Well done Andy, you've made Scotland proud of your achievements......again :ok: 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, jock strap said:

The commentator said well done to Scotland's Andy Murray and Sue Ruder then said he has raised the British sporting profile. 

Every year this sort of pish comes up. Being Scottish we can never just enjoy winning without a GIRFUY to England eh :D:D

8 hours ago, jock strap said:

He'll be gutted he never got to the final or won Wimbledon, of course. He'll also be totally thrilled for Andy, someone who he mentored to an extent and is friends with. 

9 hours ago, jock strap said:

if murray is good friends with henman and respects him professionally then that's good enough for me.

couldn't stand the whole tiger tim thing when he was playing, but since he stopped he has become pretty likeable. and lets not forget that for a while, he was IT for british tennis.

Brilliant stuff. V impressed with raonic as well - came across as very likeable. Hope he goes on to win some stuff too. Murray just unbelievably though. No sign whatsoever of his mid match wobble that we have seen so often. If he has got beyond that now then he will be pretty hard to beat for anyone.

Edited by ShedTA

1 hour ago, Boynze said:

couldn't stand the whole tiger tim thing when he was playing, but since he stopped he has become pretty likeable. and lets not forget that for a while, he was IT for british tennis.

It certainly was a while, he was the best British player for decades til Murray came along. 

Thought he was a great player tbh and enjoyed watching some of his exploits at Wimbledon. 

Based on how he's played this year (and particularly the last 3 months) there's the potential for Murray to kick on and become an equal rival (possibly even surpass) Djokvovic. 

He's now moving better than ever, hitting the ball harder than ever and making so many less errors than he ever has before. The way he is playing right now, he's as good as Djokovic. Below them, there's a bit of a drop off and i'd say Raonic is probably best of the rest; making Murray's performance yesterday all the more impressive. 

I can't see anything other than Murray winning another 2 or 3 'Slams, which, given who he's had to compete against for most of his career, would certainly put him amongst the legends of tennis. 

A truly wonderful player and, by all accounts, a thoroughly nice man to go with it.. 

it would be criminal if the Scottish sporting world wasted an opportunity like this, we need to shamelessly exploit murray for all his worth, use his hard work, dedication, single mindedness and mental strength as an example of what can be achieved.

in whatever way we can use him we should, there is no-one else like him on our landscape at the moment, the only who comes close on recent years is chris hoy and I don't think we used him enough.

for a start get him in for a Q&A with some young aspiring footballers so he can get over to them the sheer hard work it takes to get to the top.

16 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Every year this sort of pish comes up. Being Scottish we can never just enjoy winning without a GIRFUY to England eh :D:D

:lol:

As you know, I live down in the Shire and I embrace my English friends with love and affection.

There is nothing wrong with a friendly GIRUY when we as a nation enjoy a small bit of success.

I can assure you that they thoroughly enjoy a good friendly GIRUY to us at any given opportunity :ok: 

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

He'll be gutted he never got to the final or won Wimbledon, of course. He'll also be totally thrilled for Andy, someone who he mentored to an extent and is friends with. 

Never knew this but he didn't look thrilled to me.

Fair play if that's correct, my comment was tongue in cheek at Murrays success.

I just laugh at the usual British superstar when he wins and Scotland when he loses attitude by some.

No doubt Henman is a nice enough chap. I'll buy him a pint in Malta if he is there.

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

Based on how he's played this year (and particularly the last 3 months) there's the potential for Murray to kick on and become an equal rival (possibly even surpass) Djokvovic. 

He's now moving better than ever, hitting the ball harder than ever and making so many less errors than he ever has before. The way he is playing right now, he's as good as Djokovic. Below them, there's a bit of a drop off and i'd say Raonic is probably best of the rest; making Murray's performance yesterday all the more impressive. 

I can't see anything other than Murray winning another 2 or 3 'Slams, which, given who he's had to compete against for most of his career, would certainly put him amongst the legends of tennis. 

A truly wonderful player and, by all accounts, a thoroughly nice man to go with it.. 

Agree.

I would like to see him win the Aussie as he has lost it 5 times now I believe.

Another Wimbledon would be great. His success considering the current standard of players is superb. 

Surely one of the favourites for SPOTY ?

8 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Never knew this but he didn't look thrilled to me.

Fair play if that's correct, my comment was tongue in cheek at Murrays success.

I just laugh at the usual British superstar when he wins and Scotland when he loses attitude by some.

No doubt Henman is a nice enough chap. I'll buy him a pint in Malta if he is there.

Yup, Henman and Murray are definitely friends. 

Andrew Castle (the commentator on BBC yesterday) also said, as Murray walk to collect the trophy, "Scotland's Andy Murray". 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yup, Henman and Murray are definitely friends. 

Andrew Castle (the commentator on BBC yesterday) also said, as Murray walk to collect the trophy, "Scotland's Andy Murray". 

Aye, then Sue Ryder said something along the lines of him raising Britains sporting profile this summer.

I get ripped everyday about our lack of sporting ability and success so a wee bit of friendly tongue in cheek back was enjoyable.

I was watching the final with a couple of my English mates who openly laugh about Murray being Scottish if he loses and British if he wins :lol: 

14 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Aye, then Sue Ryder said something along the lines of him raising Britains sporting profile this summer.

I get ripped everyday about our lack of sporting ability and success so a wee bit of friendly tongue in cheek back was enjoyable.

I was watching the final with a couple of my English mates who openly laugh about Murray being Scottish if he loses and British if he wins :lol: 

Freudian slip?:lol: I bet you wid if you got the chance?

2 hours ago, jock strap said:

He has raised Britain's sporting profile this summer.

4 hours ago, jock strap said:

:lol:

As you know, I live down in the Shire and I embrace my English friends with love and affection.

There is nothing wrong with a friendly GIRUY when we as a nation enjoy a small bit of success.

I can assure you that they thoroughly enjoy a good friendly GIRUY to us at any given opportunity :ok: 

4 hours ago, jock strap said:

Haha I know only too well mate, my step-dad is English. Does support us at everything too though so I can live with it. 

BTW the bit in bold is a myth. I can honestly say Ive never witnessed or heard a mainstream media outlet adopt an approach like that. The only time you ever hear that phrase is when some paranoid dafty  comes out with it......usually after a Scottish sportsman has won something :D

On 11/07/2016 at 8:37 AM, Boynze said:

if murray is good friends with henman and respects him professionally then that's good enough for me.

Henman has always appeared sound, as Parkie says has a good relationship with Murray as a mentor. It's the hysteria surrounding Henman that was the problem. Like a lot of things it's the fans not the person.

On 11 July 2016 at 4:52 PM, jock strap said:

Sounds as if you won't be happy unless he's referred to exclusively as Scottish - which in the current national situation is also ridiculous.

8 hours ago, biffer said:

Sounds as if you won't be happy unless he's referred to exclusively as Scottish - which in the current national situation is also ridiculous.

Why ? 

Is he not Scottish ? Is he not proud to be Scottish ? 

Have I not got a right to say he is Scottish ? 

If you have an opinion, then so be it, but I have mine, and I have every right to voice or differ to yours. 

On 7/15/2016 at 1:56 AM, jock strap said:

Why ? 

Is he not Scottish ? Is he not proud to be Scottish ? 

Have I not got a right to say he is Scottish ? 

If you have an opinion, then so be it, but I have mine, and I have every right to voice or differ to yours. 

Because like it or not he also happens to be British. So it's entirely legitimate to call him British as well.

6 hours ago, biffer said:

Because like it or not he also happens to be British. So it's entirely legitimate to call him British as well.

Scottish by birth and choice.

I wonder what he would say if you asked him personally.