Potential backlash? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential backlash?

Geeman

Great Result from Iceland and can't believe what I've just watched 

but..

Good thing or bad thing for Scotland that this has happened? We going to be on the end of a backlash? or they'll be struggling for confidence and vulnerable?

It's a good thing...because I wouldn't want to see England win a game of tiddlywinks never mind football.

I don't care about potential backlashes, Iceland have a far weaker team than England but they wanted it more, and well done to them for that.

If the England jerseys aren't enough to motivate the Scotland players then nothing will.

2 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

It's a good thing...because I wouldn't want to see England win a game of tiddlywinks never mind football.

I don't care about potential backlashes, Iceland have a far weaker team than England but they wanted it more, and well done to them for that.

If the England jerseys aren't enough to motivate the Scotland players then nothing will.

Our players should be motivated to go out and win no matter who the opposition are. Not just for two games against England were we will probably get thrashed anyway.

England are just another national team to me.

Don't really get all this "Auld Enemy" stuff which I think should be left in the past. 

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Both England and Iceland are much better teams than we are anyway.

Would expect both of them to beat us with ease.

We beat ourselves before we start anyway with all this "we're shiite and we know we are" stuff. 

The Euros is full of teams that are no better than we are, but I've little doubt that their fans have more of a winning mentality than we do. 

32 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

We beat ourselves before we start anyway with all this "we're shiite and we know we are" stuff. 

The Euros is full of teams that are no better than we are, but I've little doubt that their fans have more of a winning mentality than we do. 

There's a big difference between being a realist and being a defeatist.

Iceland and England are better teams than us. That's not defeatist at all it's just stating a fact.

Last night should see Strachan and Regan under even more pressure. A tiny nation with a tenth of our population just qualified for the quarter finals. Not only that but they have created a very good team by investing the money wisely and managing it properly. Iceland would skelp us right now.

Its ok though, we have four old firm games to look forward to, as long as we get them on to everything will be fine in Scottish football. this whole tournament has illustrated how badly managed our game is. I'm  sure someone will be along soon to tell me it's all ok, we only had one bad game.......WRONG we had 4 because we didn't beat our rivals and accepted that a draw was ok. 

Sorry to hijack the thread and this is not a dig at the OF, it's not their fault that all regan and co care about is the old firm match on tv.

anyway well done Iceland, last nights match will have no bearing on our game against England. We will still take a beating from them.

There could well be a backlash, depends on who they appoint, Southgate the favourite at the moment and he's done well for them at U21 level but the reality is how many of their U21's are likely to be playing first team football to get in an England squad? Will he do any better, maybe for me there is a hint of the Steve McClaren's about him (lets hope so)

I know we've our issues but theirs are off the scale, a country that size and with that amount of money floating about their game should be getting to last 4 every time. Rashford will be the prime example, if he is still about their squad this time next year when we play them at Hampden, they'll have done something right. If he's not then you know he's hardly kicked a ball for United who at the same time will be playing a 34 year old who'll be earning 300k a week.

I'd like to think Strachan has learned from watching their games on how to frustrate them. Agree vandervark though, if anything this tournament has piled more pressure on Strachan.

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Our players should be motivated to go out and win no matter who the opposition are. Not just for two games against England were we will probably get thrashed anyway.

Don't really get all this "Auld Enemy" stuff which I think should be left in the past. 

I can assure you the english still give a damn about the auld enemy matches from the txts I have received since last night ! 

Its already taken for granted that we are an easy 6 points. 

Only we can change it.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There's a big difference between being a realist and being a defeatist.

Iceland and England are better teams than us. That's not defeatist at all it's just stating a fact.

Correct.

But can underdogs win games if they apply pure effort and raise the confidence ?

If we can lose the chip off the shoulder and stop being hauf pint empties, then at least that would be a start.

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Fascinating read that, cheers. Explains a lot.

Presumably a lot of the U21s that spanked us to our great surprise a few years back are now in the team?

probably, but they hardly spanked us, they won 2-1 in both games.

they went to get trounced by the English u21s home and away.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I "don't really get" your attitude as much as you don't get the Auld Enemy stuff.

Just ask Dutch fans if they treat Germany just like any other country, or Argentina fans if they treat Brazil just like any other country. Footballing rivalry is part and parcel of the game and long may it flourish in my opinion.

I don't know you from Adam mate, but I suspect you've grown up in an era of "non-competitive" school sports days and touch rugby.

I detest the expression "political correctness gone mad", but in my humble opinion some folk take it to cringeably boring levels.

13 hours ago, Geeman said:

Great Result from Iceland and can't believe what I've just watched 

but..

Good thing or bad thing for Scotland that this has happened? We going to be on the end of a backlash? or they'll be struggling for confidence and vulnerable?

England have 3 (competitive) games before they play Scotland. If there is any "backlash" then it will be in these fixtures and the Iceland result will have passed from their memory come November.

13 hours ago, COLT NY said:

who are these teams you consider "no better" than us?

On 6/28/2016 at 2:39 PM, dan cake said:

who are these teams you consider "no better" than us?

Albania, Romania, Slovakia, Russia, Northern Ireland, Ukraine, Turkey, Czech Republic, Sweden, Austria, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland are all of a similar level to us.

They'll all have benefited from being away as a squad for this tournament, as we would have too if we'd qualified.

Plenty of teams not there that are of a similar level too (like Denmark, Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria, Norway, and Slovenia) ... The point is that these are the teams that we should be looking to compete against, not telling ourselves that we can't do it before a ball is kicked.

3 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Albania, Romania, Slovakia, Russia, Northern Ireland, Ukraine, Turkey, Czech Republic, Sweden, Austria, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland are all of a similar level to us.

They'll all have benefited from being away as a squad for this tournament, as we would have too if we'd qualified.

Plenty of teams not there that are of a similar level too (like Denmark, Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria, Norway, and Slovenia) ... The point is that these are the teams that we should be looking to compete against, not telling ourselves that we can't do it before a ball is kicked.

That is exactly right.