4-4-2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4-4-2

er yir macaroon

Pundits claiming players don't have experience of defending a 4-4-2 and it's proving successful at the Euros. Iceland and Italy had two up at times. I've thought for a while our admiral short passing game was problematic for us. I'm starting to think we need to get it in the final third as quickly as possible and take it from there. It might need a Charlie Adam type to miss out the midfield and into Fletcher's feet, who lays it off to Griffiths or Watt. High tempo and unsubtle but still with a reliance on forwards with a good first touch. What could possibly go wrong? 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Pundits claiming players don't have experience of defending a 4-4-2 and it's proving successful at the Euros. Iceland and Italy had two up at times. I've thought for a while our admiral short passing game was problematic for us. I'm starting to think we need to get it in the final third as quickly as possible and take it from there. It might need a Charlie Adam type to miss out the midfield and into Fletcher's feet, who lays it off to Griffiths or Watt. High tempo and unsubtle but still with a reliance on forwards with a good first touch. What could possibly go wrong? 

The 4-4-2 has been proven to work at this tournament that's for sure. I've always thought it was done at International level but been proven wrong. ROI, NI and Wales are other ones who have used it, Italy been more of a 3-5-2. If you've two hard working forwards like Iceland do then no reason it shouldn't work.

We could have tried it a few years back with Steven Fletcher and Kenny Miller up front. Then we could have missed twice as many chances. :lol:

But I agree, two up front and try to win back the ball high up the pitch, in the opposition half. If you can win the ball in your opponents half, you can create chances with 2 or 3 passes. Our players don't have the skill level to retain the ball for more than 2 or 3 passes. 

It would allow us to play Rhodes and McCormack. The problem probably comes with the defence. We're not great at the back and the 2 defensive midfielders we've deployed for the last few years have been important in protecting them (and noticeable in their absense when we play Fletcher and McArthur).

So the question would be how do we set up the 4 behind the 2.

Do we play 2 deep central players still, but with the ability to distribute? e.g. players like Adam/Bannan/Morrison who can just sit and distribute, with Anya and Burke offering pacey counter attacking down the flanks?

Or a diamond, with a ball player (Adam/Bannan), but with 2 work horses (Brown/Mulgrew/Bridcut) and Snodgrass in behind the two?

We could just go with a flat 4, something like this

McCormack, Rhodes
   Anya, Bannan, Brown, Burke
Robertson, Hanley, Martin, Paterson
                     Marshall

To be honest, I think they all have merit for different reasons, the unfortunate thing is that we don't have any games to try a new system before the qualifiers start. We had the game against Denmark where we started McGinn, Maloney, Brown, Ritchie across the midfield, so maybe that's enough for Strachan to think it's worth pursuing. I imagine we'll drop back into a 451 for England and Slovakia games tho.

13 minutes ago, andyD said:

It would allow us to play Rhodes and McCormack. The problem probably comes with the defence. We're not great at the back and the 2 defensive midfielders we've deployed for the last few years have been important in protecting them (and noticeable in their absense when we play Fletcher and McArthur).

So the question would be how do we set up the 4 behind the 2.

Do we play 2 deep central players still, but with the ability to distribute? e.g. players like Adam/Bannan/Morrison who can just sit and distribute, with Anya and Burke offering pacey counter attacking down the flanks?

Or a diamond, with a ball player (Adam/Bannan), but with 2 work horses (Brown/Mulgrew/Bridcut) and Snodgrass in behind the two?

We could just go with a flat 4, something like this

McCormack, Rhodes
   Anya, Bannan, Brown, Burke
Robertson, Hanley, Martin, Paterson
                     Marshall

To be honest, I think they all have merit for different reasons, the unfortunate thing is that we don't have any games to try a new system before the qualifiers start. We had the game against Denmark where we started McGinn, Maloney, Brown, Ritchie across the midfield, so maybe that's enough for Strachan to think it's worth pursuing. I imagine we'll drop back into a 451 for England and Slovakia games tho.

If he was to play a 4-4-2 would go for

----------------------Marshall

Hutton-------Hanley----------Martin---------Robertson

Snodgrass-----McArthur-----Bannan--------Anya

-----------------McCormick-------Griffiths

4 hours ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

5-3-2 would suit us better and give the team a bit more defensive solidity especially away from home.

Only gives us defensive  solidity if we've three decent, well organised centre halves - seem to be some way away from that at present.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I'm not sure about McCormack and Griffiths. We need to give the opposition a hard time. Fletcher and Watt can push them about a bit. We need to stand up physically to opponents instead of being a nuisance.

What the hell has Tony Watt done that makes him worthy of a place in the squad let alone in the starting 11.

The guy is a waster, apart from a few high profile goals whilst at Celtic he has one nothing to suggest he's even remotely good enough.

Edited by Baz

3 hours ago, Baz said:

What the hell has Tony Watt done that makes him worthy of a place in the squad let alone in the starting 11.

The guy is a waster, apart from a few high profile goals whilst at Celtic he has one nothing to suggest he's even remotely good enough.

Pace, power and ability. 

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Pace, power and ability. 

4 Goals last season. Hardly prolific. Neither has the ability or the attitude for international football.

2 hours ago, Baz said:

4 Goals last season. Hardly prolific. Neither has the ability or the attitude for international football.

7 goals. Of course he has the ability, don't be daft. His attitude remains to be seen, but on the evidence of last season, he seems to have screwed the nut. He was injured at the tail end of the season and missed a few games including the Scotland friendlies.

For comparison, in the league last season:

Watt = 433 mins per goal.
Russell = 343 mins per goal.
Naismith = 332 mins per goal (in the PL)
Fletcher = 253 mins per goal (in the PL)
Martin = 251 mins per goal.
Rhodes = 208 mins per goal.
McCormack = 192 mins per goal.
Griffiths = 88 mins per goal (in SPL)

I don't see how Watt should be in the picture at all at this moment in time.

36 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

7 goals. Of course he has the ability, don't be daft. His attitude remains to be seen, but on the evidence of last season, he seems to have screwed the nut. He was injured at the tail end of the season and missed a few games including the Scotland frien

It was actually 5 goals last season.

https://postimg.org/image/qhijda4iv/

Hardly prolific, I accept he's had his fair share of injuries but I just don't get the desperation to get him in the team when we have players like Grifiths and Rhodes who are far better goal scorers and struggle at international level.

Edited by Baz

I've wondered if something like 3-5-2/5-3-2 would suit the players we have. Something like......

------------------------------Marshall----------------------------

--------------Martin-----------Hanley-----------Mulgrew--------

Anya-----------------------------------------------------Robertson

---------------------Fletcher-------------Bannan--------------------

------------------------------Snodgrass------------------------------

----------------------Rhodes------------Fletcher---------------------

Would also give us the option of moving Mulgrew to a holding midfield role and switching to a 4-4-2 diamond.