Tartan Army copyright claim - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tartan Army copyright claim

giblet

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, giblet said:

Bob Shields and his pal in court today apparently about claim of copyright on the Tartan Army brand.  

I read about it on Facebook but couldn't find an article.  What has happened, how can someone claim rights to it?

5 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I read about it on Facebook but couldn't find an article.  What has happened, how can someone claim rights to it?

appears related to this.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13889668.Battle_over_Tartan_Army_trademark_goes_to_court/

more detail

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tartan-army-trademark-case-kicks-6683170#6KoO0PQZUkOzzxpm.97

Edited by giblet

Guest BlueGaz
8 minutes ago, giblet said:

Thanks.  Looks like they both have a case, be interesting to see how it pans out.  I would have thought that Tartan Army shouldn't have been awarded in the first place, as it is too common, however you can't just use it as a T/A name if it has been awarded.  Not so publicly anyway.

Always been annoyed by this, I can't see why Andy Cameron could use the phrase in a record (I assume it was copyrighted) then have it trade marked by someone else.

Greedy Bastards pretending to be protecting the name in my opinion.

Now excuse me I'm just going to TM orange army, azzuri and barmy army before someone tries to protect them with a Trademarked scarf collection, available at reasonable prices.

Get yer hats and scarfs!

1 hour ago, thistle do nicely said:

Always been annoyed by this, I can't see why Andy Cameron could use the phrase in a record (I assume it was copyrighted) then have it trade marked by someone else.

Greedy Bastards pretending to be protecting the name in my opinion.

Now excuse me I'm just going to TM orange army, azzuri and barmy army before someone tries to protect them with a Trademarked scarf collection, available at reasonable prices.

Get yer hats and scarfs!

Pretty sure Barmy Army is already trademarked. 

Guest BlueGaz

More than one person can trademark the same thing, as long as it is a different service or product.  Suppose this being a group of football supporters fundamentally for both sides, it is the same product or service.  Still gobsmacked they were able to trademark it in the first place.