Istanbul Airport - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Istanbul Airport

Felt a wee bit inconvenienced when asked to open my bag twice in Lyon's shopping centre, then I twigged. 

Quite right, too. I could have been carrying anything. 2 minutes is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

These security guards are pretty much in the front line and normally I think they're jobsworths, but that's a dangerous job they're doing. Fair play. 

Apparently an Istanbul Airport worker wrestled one of the suicide bombers to the ground just before detonation. Feck seeing that! 

35 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Felt a wee bit inconvenienced when asked to open my bag twice in Lyon's shopping centre, then I twigged. 

Quite right, too. I could have been carrying anything. 2 minutes is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

These security guards are pretty much in the front line and normally I think they're jobsworths, but that's a dangerous job they're doing. Fair play. 

Apparently an Istanbul Airport worker wrestled one of the suicide bombers to the ground just before detonation. Feck seeing that! 

You should visit Tel Aviv.

The levels of security there are insane.

11 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Feck, we fly oot to Turkey next Saturday ?

Hopefully the holiday resorts, Dalaman airport and Marmaris area in particular, will remain unaffected as these issues seem largely restricted to Istanbul.

Was in Marmaris 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. Just pretty quiet as a lot of tourists are staying away. This latest incident certainly isn't going to help 

Horrible stuff. So, so sad.

Turkey really is on the frontline of so many of our worlds major issues. Syria, Iraq, IS generally and also their own conflicts with Russia and, internally, the Kurds. 

Sucessive Governments have let the Turkish people badly down. A wonderful country, full of diversity and such welcoming people. Tourism is struggling badly and attacks like this will put people off even more. 

1 hour ago, dipped flake said:

Was in Marmaris 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. Just pretty quiet as a lot of tourists are staying away. This latest incident certainly isn't going to help 

Aye we are in Sarigerme and its dead, aparently the Russians just dont come now and thata like 3/4 of their buisness. Shame as the barstaff and shops giys etc are really nice and you can see they are struggling. Never knew anythin until i got a feq messages checking if we were ok this morn

5 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

Aye, EL AL security was pretty solid.

It was crazy.

My plane arrived, the airbridge attached, I walked down it to be stopped by 3 teenage girls with machine guns asking where I'd come from.

Thought it was pretty obvious myself.

Ive also never been so interrogated about every stamp in my passport.

Great place to visit though. 

47 minutes ago, deecie said:

It was crazy.

My plane arrived, the airbridge attached, I walked down it to be stopped by 3 teenage girls with machine guns asking where I'd come from.

Thought it was pretty obvious myself.

Ive also never been so interrogated about every stamp in my passport.

Great place to visit though. 

I never got that at the airport in Tel-Aviv, possibly because the friend I was visiting was an EL-AL employee who was already at the gate to meet me, take me through immigration etc, all the airport staff seemed to know her too which no doubt helped...Flying out from Heathrow was where I got grilled by their own security staff, my hand luggage was also taken from me and not given back until I was on the aircraft (a procedure I've never seen on any other airline).

Great place to visit though, definitely one of my favourite trips.

11 hours ago, dipped flake said:

Yeah it's a real shame. We're on a family holiday so being quiet won't be disastrous for us, but it's going to hammer their tourist industry which is awful because as Parklife says they're such lovely welcoming and friendly people they really don't deserve this.

7 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

I never got that at the airport in Tel-Aviv, possibly because the friend I was visiting was an EL-AL employee who was already at the gate to meet me, take me through immigration etc, all the airport staff seemed to know her too which no doubt helped...Flying out from Heathrow was where I got grilled by their own security staff, my hand luggage was also taken from me and not given back until I was on the aircraft (a procedure I've never seen on any other airline).

Great place to visit though, definitely one of my favourite trips.

The way back was even worse, my taxi en-route to the airport was stopped and had everything searched.

Stopped and searched at the front door.

Everything got taken out at security, it was just non-stop.

Would visit again, great people, great place.

It was not so much the security at the airports (I was at both) in Tel Aviv, but the baggage checks going into the railway station. Also, the carry on at Ataturk was in the arrivals hall. In my four visits in the last year to Istanbul the arrivals hall has been full of pre-booked taxi drivers. It must have been they who made up most of the casualties.

On 29/06/2016 at 4:21 PM, dan cake said:

always fancied israel for a football trip

not trying to be the big man but these chunts wont be stopping me traveling anywhere

fucck um, lives too short

Israel are s wouldnt go near them