how would we do in a penalty shootout - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

how would we do in a penalty shootout

bonny78

I was thinking along these lines last night. I've never witnessed a penalty shoot out in the flesh. I get quite nervous watching them on TV when it's 2 teams I don't particularly care about so I don't know what I'd be like if it were Scotland. Don't see why we couldn't win one though. 

On 30 June 2016 at 11:18 PM, bonny78 said:

would we have the bottle to beat a team?

or would we lose it to san marino.

our goal keeper is quite good on the plus side.

If we were involved in a tournament shootout, you should be allowed to come on and score the winning pen. I can see ye scoring then doing a ronaldo.

I think that our psychological frailties (as discussed on numerous other posts) would make us odds on to lose. I remember Darren Fletcher missing one with a poor effort -Vs Czech Republic I think - at Hampden. To keeper's left at about waist height. Thought about penalty shoot outs then and part of me heaved sigh of relief that we would probably never reach one of any meaning in my lifetime. All of which is very sad really.

Dunno if this is pessimistic or realistic.  Or both.

On 01/07/2016 at 8:40 PM, Armitage Shanks said:

Well Scott Brown is terrible. Griffiths average. Would guess Robertson, D Fletcher, Maloney, Anya would take a good pen.

D fletch took a horrific penalty at hampden

On 7/3/2016 at 11:00 AM, Jacques Hunt said:

I think that our psychological frailties (as discussed on numerous other posts) would make us odds on to lose. I remember Darren Fletcher missing one with a poor effort -Vs Czech Republic I think - at Hampden. To keeper's left at about waist height. Thought about penalty shoot outs then and part of me heaved sigh of relief that we would probably never reach one of any meaning in my lifetime. All of which is very sad really.

Dunno if this is pessimistic or realistic.  Or both.

He missed against Lithuania I think. We won 1-0 with a Naismith goal.

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

when did last get a penalty?    must be the Gilbratar games.   We did spend a lot of time in their box so guess that's how it works.

When did we last get a pen not against a mino and not in a friendly.

Spain 2011. Goodwillie. 

The last penalty we got was against Croatia in October 2013.

Anya was brought down in the box. Bannan took the kick and missed but Naismith scored from the rebound. 

On 02/07/2016 at 1:01 AM, Toepoke said:

Depends who's in. Don't think I've ever seen Craig Gordon save a penalty. ..

He saved one in the Scottish Cup semi-final shoot-out just a few months ago.

14 hours ago, ConnorWardrop said:

Im sure I seen something saying Gordon had never saved a penalty in his career until the SC semi final. 

Derek Townsley's penalty was saved by Gordon in the 2006 Scottish Cup Final.