Trumpton creator dies - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I used to love these programmes - Chigley, Camberwick Green and Trumpton. Very influential too - Radiohead's recent video was a Trumpton take off.

A good innings for him but another piece of childhood lost.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/30/trumpton-creator-gordon-murray-has-died-aged-95/amp/?client=safari#

12 hours ago, neilser said:

I used to love these programmes - Chigley, Camberwick Green and Trumpton. Very influential too - Radiohead's recent video was a Trumpton take off.

A good innings for him but another piece of childhood lost.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/06/30/trumpton-creator-gordon-murray-has-died-aged-95/amp/?client=safari#

The clip of Trumpton on that link has made my day. Is a tough call on which of the 2 programme was the best ( i dont remember chigley) . I loved the excitement of Camberwick Green at the start of the episode, ' here is a box , a musical box' then one of the characters would come the box and the episode would be about that character. I remember there was a woman who always seemed stressed oot her nut and was carrying her wean constantly. That is probably why. Dont  imagine there was any valium in Camberwick Green .

Completely forgot the programmes were narrated by Brian Cant. 

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The clip of Trumpton on that link has made my day. Is a tough call on which of the 2 programme was the best ( i dont remember chigley) . I loved the excitement of Camberwick Green at the start of the episode, ' here is a box , a musical box' then one of the characters would come the box and the episode would be about that character. I remember there was a woman who always seemed stressed oot her nut and was carrying her wean constantly. That is probably why. Dont  imagine there was any valium in Camberwick Green .

Completely forgot the programmes were narrated by Brian Cant.

Eh? How can you not remember Chigley?!?!? Lord Bellborough? The train that goes to the the wharf? "Time flies by when you're the driver of a train....". The biscuit factory whistle etc etc.

The wummin on Camberwick Green was Mrs. Honeyman. I used tae like the Soldiers and PC McGarry number 452 was my fave song. Imagine trying to get a kid to watch that now??

31 minutes ago, Marky said:

Eh? How can you not remember Chigley?!?!? Lord Bellborough? The train that goes to the the wharf? "Time flies by when you're the driver of a train....". The biscuit factory whistle etc etc.

The wummin on Camberwick Green was Mrs. Honeyman. I used tae like the Soldiers and PC McGarry number 452 was my fave song. Imagine trying to get a kid to watch that now??

I am a little older than you. I had matured to Mary Mungo and Midge by the time Chigley was screened. I do rememeber the train driver song right enough. My irritating wee brother must have watched it. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I am a little older than you. I had matured to Mary Mungo and Midge by the time Chigley was screened. I do rememeber the train driver song right enough. My irritating wee brother must have watched it. 

Mary, Mungo and Midge was for weans!!

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Brian Cant is still on the go though.

Bought the DVD box set for the weans when they were wee. They showed no interest whatsoever :(

That's a shame. :( 

When I was wee I used to love watching the two Trumpton videos my local library had. Magical stuff.

My favourite episodes were the ones were:

• Chippy Minton came home early one day to find his wife Dora and Mrs Cobbit in bed together. 
  • Mr Clamp stood for election to the town council as the National Front candidate.
  • Captain Flack was sacked for gross incompetence and in a drunken rage burned down the fire station.
  • After a blazing row with the Mayor over the quality of posters advertising a town concert, Mr Munning's fell to his death in suspicious circumstances from the Town Hall balcony. Owing to a lack of evidence no one was ever charged.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

When I was wee I used to love watching the two Trumpton videos my local library had. Magical stuff.

• Chippy Minton came home early one day to find his wife Dora and Mrs Cobbit in bed together. 
  • Mr Clamp stood for election to the town council as the National Front candidate.
  • Captain Flack was sacked for gross incompetence and in a drunken rage burned down the fire station.
  • After a blazing row with the Mayor over the quality of posters advertising a town concert, Mr Munning's fell to his death in suspicious circumstances from the Town Hall balcony. Owing to a lack of evidence no one was ever charged.

?? 

That wasnt Trumpton it was Trump Tower. 

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Only because PC Mcgarry was on the take. 

29 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Only because PC Mcgarry was on the take. 

Well he was the Mayor's "button man" ...........

And who could forget other classic episodes such as when:

• Mr Platt trying to recruit a militia to fight for Queen & country "in the event that Anthony Wedgewood Benn becomes Prime Minister".
  • Miss Lovelace relieving young Nibbs Minton of his virginity.
  • Mr Troop being found drowned in the park pond one morning, having the night previously reported an massive discrepancy in the mayoral accounts to the local police. 

How weird seeing those clips of Trumpton and Camberwick Green in colour!!

Windy Millers' s windmill was pink !

Who knew?!