if wales can do it - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

if wales can do it

bonny78

The key difference that I've mentioned before, and I'll mention again: Cardiff & Swansea gets English money - so they've got much more money to put into their youth academies than our clubs.

Otherwise, it shows that we can do something similar in the future - given the right circumstances.

10 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Cardiff & Swansea gets English money - so they've got much more money to put into their youth academies than our clubs.

And the Welsh repay our generosity by insulting us in press conferences and celebrating publicly when we lose.

I keep hearing how passionate the Welsh are about their country - maybe it's time they played there instead of piggy backing on the success of the English league. :)

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

The key difference that I've mentioned before, and I'll mention again: Cardiff & Swansea gets English money - so they've got much more money to put into their youth academies than our clubs.

Otherwise, it shows that we can do something similar in the future - given the right circumstances.

I agree with you - however there is no reason why young Scots (as Kieran Freeman has shown in the past couple of days) cant move to academies in the rest of Britain - assuming they have some potential.

Also - there are many posters on here argue that the best Scottish youngsters shouldn't leave Scotland at a young age for those considerably better academies outside of Scotland. Claiming they should learn their 'trade' and then move on in their 20s.

Plus correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there at least five young Scots at Swansea? I was glad to see Kingsley get called up after a handful of premier league games for Swansea but plenty on here were not.

1 hour ago, George Saint said:

And the Welsh repay our generosity by insulting us in press conferences and celebrating publicly when we lose.

I keep hearing how passionate the Welsh are about their country - maybe it's time they played there instead of piggy backing on the success of the English league. :)

Dry your eyes. 

If things are changed from top to bottom we might have a chance of doing something in 30 years. What Wales and to a lesser extent Northern Ireland have done over the last year is nothing short of remarkable. 

This should be used as the biggest wake up call for those running our game, I doubt it will though. I don't think there's the desire or passion from board level, management, plays or (tin hat on) a chunk of the support. 

As coleman has said a couple of times in this tournament 4 years ago they lost 6-1 to Serbia and he was close to walking. They've built a team around bale and it works. In my eyes we don't have anyone to build a team around, someone who would command the attention of 2 or 3 opposition players leaving space for others. 

SFA Drone 1 Aw, naw, look at Wales, look at Iceland. People will laugh at us noo if we say, we have tae be rubbish because we're just wee.

SFA Drone 2 They laugh at us anyway. I have a plan tae improve things; double the admission price tae home games, and schedule them all at 11pm on Tuesday nights.

SFA Drone 1 Good idea. And will we think about how to improve Scottish football on a fact-finding trip to the Caribbean?

SFA Drone 2 Aye. I'll get my blazer.

48 minutes ago, bonzo said:

As coleman has said a couple of times in this tournament 4 years ago they lost 6-1 to Serbia and he was close to walking. They've built a team around bale and it works. In my eyes we don't have anyone to build a team around, someone who would command the attention of 2 or 3 opposition players leaving space for others. 

I think that's a good point.  Even if Bale is quiet he still has an effect on the opposition.  You'll not push forward too far because of a player or his pace and ability. We have virtually no pace in the current Scotland team.

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Think I posted on here about 10 years ago that we should pinch Men of Harlech of them and make it our national anthem. We need to learn how to motivate the team again.

Plenty of inspirational Scottish songs, do we need to import them?

eg. Just watched Midge Ure singing A Man's A Man For A' That at the opening of the Parliament,  fantastic song with a great message...

26 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Plenty of inspirational Scottish songs, do we need to import them?

eg. Just watched Midge Ure singing A Man's A Man For A' That at the opening of the Parliament,  fantastic song with a great message...

Could do worse for the national anthem, well with ought being pedantic we indeed already do worse for the national anthem. Personally Scotland the Brave does it for me. Great couple of minutes before the match thinking we were a real nation that probably could or would beat what ever country had turned up at Hampden on a wet windy Tuesday night in November (showing my age). Now we sing about being Englands bullied little brother. Some one say self loathing and depressing?

George Saint- good to see you have still got a sense of humour and deep down you are glad to see your siblings succeed.

20 hours ago, George Saint said:

AGREE 

With this only pal

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Could do worse for the national anthem, well with ought being pedantic we indeed already do worse for the national anthem. Personally Scotland the Brave does it for me. Great couple of minutes before the match thinking we were a real nation that probably could or would beat what ever country had turned up at Hampden on a wet windy Tuesday night in November (showing my age). Now we sing about being Englands bullied little brother. Some one say self loathing and depressing?

George Saint- good to see you have still got a sense of humour and deep down you are glad to see your siblings succeed.

we used to have scotland the brave as an anthem and it was a total disaster.few knew the words and the rest just went da da da da da da da

9 hours ago, bossman4 said:

A fantastic stadium they dont use

And a league which makes Norn Iron's look like Serie A.  Football isn't even their number 1 sport.  

They're having a great tournament and I genuinely hope they win it, but do you really believe they have a structure in place to make them one of Europe's top teams?

Bonny, i admire your optomism pal, but realistically we are years from qualifying again, providing we change things now. Our players aren't fast enough or strong enough to compete with some of the teams that are there, and im no talking about germany, italy etc. Just reparting what everyone else is saying, a grass roots upheavil is needed. We need to go round europe, look at other teams and what they are doing and find out where we are going wrong. 

3 hours ago, daddybuc16 said:

Bonny, i admire your optomism pal, but realistically we are years from qualifying again, providing we change things now. Our players aren't fast enough or strong enough to compete with some of the teams that are there, and im no talking about germany, italy etc. Just reparting what everyone else is saying, a grass roots upheavil is needed. We need to go round europe, look at other teams and what they are doing and find out where we are going wrong. 

But how many time do we have to do that to get it right. There seems an attitude that every time we dont qualify we need to rip it up and start again. We brought in Mark Wotte who put thinga in place that will take a few more years to reap the rewards.

The problem isnt the youth structures. The problem is to many lads are dissapearing from 18-21 years olds and not making the next step, the club pro system is buggered thats what needs to changed.

As for Wales well done to them but they are where they are now because of English League money and almost all of their players coming through English academy systems.