Yerevan - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yerevan

DoonTheSlope

Going travelling next month and have put a route together and I find myself in Yerevan, Armenia.

Ive got three, possibly two or four, nights here and wondered if anyone knows of any reputable tour agencies who'll provide day tours? Maybe even one who'll do an Iranian border trip perhaps. Just something to pass a few hours

Any other tips and recommendations for Yerevan will be greatly appreciated

The agent I used to get 10 of us around Yerevan and the historical sites then transport us to Tbilisi last year was excellent (she is the number 1 guide for Yerevan and Armenia on Trip Advisor).

She does trips to the Iranian Border (as she offered me a tour to there, but did not have the time) and she does some excellent discount rates for hotels in the city (I stayed in the Tufenkian Historical Hotel just a stones throw from the main square).

Her website is 

http://www.armeniaprivatetourguide.com/#_=_

Only thing I would say is, four nights might be a little bit to long for Yerevan.... its a great place, but it is shockingly small and compact..... you can start at the main square, walk 5 minutes in any direction, and find yourself back at the main square again (saying that, I found it 100 times better than Tbilisi for the small amount of time I had there).

Edited by wanderer

9 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Going travelling next month and have put a route together and I find myself in Yerevan, Armenia.

Ive got three, possibly two or four, nights here and wondered if anyone knows of any reputable tour agencies who'll provide day tours? Maybe even one who'll do an Iranian border trip perhaps. Just something to pass a few hours

Any other tips and recommendations for Yerevan will be greatly appreciated

Went there prior to Georgia game last year. I wrote a quick summary of Yerevan, and also of half-day trips to Khor Virap, Garni temple and Geghard monastery. Our hostel arranged a taxi to take us around  - was pretty cheap. You probably want to check out Envoy Hostel who run various trips day and multi day trips around Armenia - we did the walking tour in Yerevan and it was excellent.

If you need any more info then let me know.

Enjoy :)

10 hours ago, wanderer said:

The agent I used to get 10 of us around Yerevan and the historical sites then transport us to Tbilisi last year was excellent (she is the number 1 guide for Yerevan and Armenia on Trip Advisor).

She does trips to the Iranian Border (as she offered me a tour to there, but did not have the time) and she does some excellent discount rates for hotels in the city (I stayed in the Tufenkian Historical Hotel just a stones throw from the main square).

Her website is 

http://www.armeniaprivatetourguide.com/#_=_

Only thing I would say is, four nights might be a little bit to long for Yerevan.... its a great place, but it is shockingly small and compact..... you can start at the main square, walk 5 minutes in any direction, and find yourself back at the main square again (saying that, I found it 100 times better than Tbilisi for the small amount of time I had there).

The Iranian border tour sounds good, do you have any ideas on the cost? I'll be a lone traveller 

38 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The Iranian border tour sounds good, do you have any ideas on the cost? I'll be a lone traveller 

Sorry mate, you will need to email her and ask.

another tip.... Yerevan night life is not great after 11pm.... I had one night there and arrived at 11pm, so was determined to make the most of it.... Most the bars I had research were just closing as I showed up and after walking around and asking people the only bar that seemed to come up again and again was Hemingways Pub on the Cascade..... Alright though nothing special, but was one of the few places not closed that was not a kebab shop or a fancy restaurant.

11 hours ago, wanderer said:

Sorry mate, you will need to email her and ask.

another tip.... Yerevan night life is not great after 11pm.... I had one night there and arrived at 11pm, so was determined to make the most of it.... Most the bars I had research were just closing as I showed up and after walking around and asking people the only bar that seemed to come up again and again was Hemingways Pub on the Cascade..... Alright though nothing special, but was one of the few places not closed that was not a kebab shop or a fancy restaurant.

I'll give her an email. Thanks again

• 3 months later...

Was over there last season when Saints played in europe, took me 33 hours via Moscow to get there missed my flight from Heathrow to Moscow. Fantastic place apart from the gangsters. The square is fantastic although the drivers are maniacs.