Chilcot Report - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bliar will still escape justice. There were just about enough get outs for him not to be realistically found guilty by a court.

Clearly, however, he decided he was going to war come what may then manipulated the case to suit.

Legally, in the narrow legal sense, he may get away with it but in the eyes of millions he is a war criminal and will never be forgiven.

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

1. There were no WMD of the type (Nuclear) that the West said existed.

2. That being said getting rid of Saddam Hussein was a good idea

3. Albeit a good idea nobody foresaw that after Saddam was ousted that a large proportion of Iraqis would start killing each other

4. In hindsight someone should have thought about 3 

1. there were no WMD of any type

2. Saddam was the only one keeping the country from imploding, which is exactly why the US and their backers wanted him out

3. This is exactly what they wanted to happen

4. They did

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

1. There were no WMD of the type (Nuclear) that the West said existed.

2. That being said getting rid of Saddam Hussein was a good idea

3. Albeit a good idea nobody foresaw that after Saddam was ousted that a large proportion of Iraqis would start killing each other

4. In hindsight someone should have thought about 3 

2. Democracy isn't going to work in that country, not in this millennium anyway.

3. Yes they did, many said at the time that getting rid of Saddam would cause a huge power vacuum which many dangerous factions would try and fill. 

4. ^ ^ ^ they did.

Edited by Och Aye

Cameron doing a much better whitewash than any report/inquiry ever could.

I know Blair has been accused of being a Tory in the past but I didn't realise he was an ACTUAL one! His mate Dave proving once and for all they are the same.

28 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Cameron doing a much better whitewash than any report/inquiry ever could.

I know Blair has been accused of being a Tory in the past but I didn't realise he was an ACTUAL one! His mate Dave proving once and for all they are the same.

Putting the groundwork in for Libya and Syria.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Putting the groundwork in for Libya and Syria.

Yeap.

Let's not forget the pictures of Cameron triumphantly parading around Tripoli declaring to all and sundry that he had brought 'democracy' to Libya.

Various Labour MPs who voted for the war are now standing up in the HoC saying "we should all be prepared to accept our own share of responsibility" and then going on to give loads of excuses why they don't have to.

Edited by aaid

Controversial but with the exception of the Iraq war i still like Tony Blair's time of Government regardless.

He did a lot of good things

(Please note the exception bit)

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Controversial but with the exception of the Iraq war i still like Tony Blair's time of Government regardless.

What I've learned over the years is that Labour governments are never as good as I hope they will be, and that Tory governments are never as bad as I fear they will be. Once they get into power, the differences between them are not all that great. That includes, sadly, the behaviour of the MPs too.

5 minutes ago, George Saint said:

What I've learned over the years is that Labour governments are never as good as I hope they will be, and that Tory governments are never as bad as I fear they will be. Once they get into power, the differences between them are not all that great. That includes, sadly, the behaviour of the MPs too.

I know

I do realise it is all a delusion :(

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I know

I do realise it is all a delusion :(

It's politics, unfortunately. I'm not saying that people who go into politics aren't well intentioned, but I just think that once they get into power they realise that things aren't as easy as they thought they would be. They can't just wave a magic wand and change everything they want to and fix all the problems that they'd like to fix. They always talk a good game when they're in opposition and campaigning to be elected - I can remember the years 1994-1997 and the speeches Blair used to make - dripping with sweat in Labour conferences as he talked about how he was going to save the NHS or be tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime, and focus on education, education, education, etc. I'm sure he was genuine with those aims, but it was never a realistic possibility that he was going to somehow achieve that previous generations of politicians had failed to do. Has the country really changed that much from how it was in 1997 when Blair came to power? We had 13 years of a Labour government, but we're still riddled with the same problems that we had before they came to power. I think people like to think and hope that they've found the person who is going to solve all the problems facing the country and the world. For the UK, it was going to be Blair. The US had similar with Obama. I suspect the hope will soon switch to Hilary Clinton and the talk will be how great it will be to have a female President and how that's going to change the US etc. I suspect, however, that after two terms of Hilary, the US and the world will look much the same as it would have done had she not become President. Gosh, I've just realised how grumpy and negative and pessimistic I am nowadays. I wish I could be a naïve teenager again who actually believed that the world could be changed for the better. Unfortunately, experience tells me that despite all the talk from well meaning politicians and the like, the world will still be a mess, the UK will still be a mess, and England will still be shite at football. :(

The American senate hearings had already dealt with a lot of the problems with the joint intelligence.

Office of special plans under douglas feith making shit up and then getting Powell to say it at the UN.

Brits stealing phd projects "sexxing them up".

Anyone speaking out either put on TV at 3am or hounded to shut up.

I must admit Mi6 using an image from the film "The Rock" as part of their false narrative is news to me. Journalists need to be looked at as well, getting tricked by images from films etc. I see john Rentoul has been writing reams in defence of Tony already.

Edited by phart

10 minutes ago, phart said:

I must admit Mi6 using an image from the film "The Rock" as part of their false narrative is news to me. Journalists need to be looked at as well, getting tricked by images from films etc. I see john Rentoul has been writing reams in defence of Tony already.

and matthew d'ancona in evening standard (probably writing before the report known) trying to argue that we need to judge tony in context of 2003 not 2016

but the arguments against the war were all there in 2003 - millions marched because of that.

yet TB even specifically said 'if you knew what i know [intelligence and stuff], you'd agree with me' which is exactly what was shown to be misleading

also TB seems to be claiming he doesn't regret removing SH yet he said explicitly at the time, if no WMD he'd be happy for him to stay in power

i wonder if Chilcott spoke to any of those millions who marched against the war? If they all knew the war was a bad idea, why didn't the MPs? I bet they didn't interview phart, he probably knew more about it than most of the MPs put together.