The Assistant Managers Doon the Years - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Assistant Managers Doon the Years

ErsatzThistle

One for the all those who love history and trivia.

I'm curious to know - who were the No. 2 men to these Scotland managers ? and were any of their assistants known for having particular positive or negative affects on the team ?

Bobby Brown (1967-1971)
Tommy Docherty (1971-1972)
Willie Ormond (1973-1977)
Ally McLeod (1977-1978)
Jock Stein (1978-1985) 
Alex Ferguson (1985-1986) 
Andy Roxburgh (1986-1993) 
Craig Brown (1993-2002)

Craig Brown was assistant to Roxy and forged a good partnership and was the obvious successor even after the rubbish USA '94 qualifying campaign. A very good under 21s manager too, was wee Craigy so an overall solid choice and calm influence.

Alex Miller was an able assistant to Brown and went on to have a sterling management career, particularly at Aberdeen.

Am I correct in saying that Wattie Smith was Alex Ferguson's assistant in Mexico? That was a stopgap in any event so maybe not enough time to say how well that partnership would have done.

Prior to that - I'm too young to remember.

Edited by thewolf_1980

4 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Craig Brown was assistant to Roxy and forged a good partnership and was the obvious successor even after the rubbish USA '94 qualifying campaign. A very good under 21s manager too, was wee Craigy so an overall solid choice and calm influence.

Alex Miller was an able assistant to Brown and went on to have a sterling management career, particularly at Aberdeen.

Am I correct in saying that Wattie Smith was Alex Ferguson's assistant in Mexico? That was a stopgap in any event so maybe not enough time to say how well that partnership would have done.

Prior to that - I'm too young to remember.

was Jim McLean not assistant to Ferguson in 86?

I'm pretty sure Jock Stein was the first to use assistants and he picked them on a game by game basis. It was often Jim McLean or Fergie. Prior to that they didn't have assistants. Tommy Doc was the first full time manager and he was the first manager who was allowed to pick the team. Up until then the team was picked by an SFA committee. 

John Haggart was Ally MacLeods assistant at the 78 World Cup (in a few of the books on the 78 WC its said that Jock Stein had recommended Alex Ferguson to Ally, but Ally went with the recently sacked Hearts Manager).

Stein had Jim McLean from 78 until 84, but was replaced by Ferguson after the SFA had handed McLean a season long touchline ban.

Ferguson had Walter Smith as his official assistant coach (with Archie Knox and Craig Brown making up the rest of his coaching staff).

Roxburgh had Craig Brown from start to finish.

Brown started off by calling up guys like Murdo McLeod and Alex McLeish on a game-by-game basis for his first couple of games before appointing Alex Miller on a full time basis..... this lasted until Miller got a touchline ban from the SFA and was replaced (temporarily IIRC) by Archie Knox, before stepping down completly after he got the sack from Aberdeen and Knox was appointed full time.