Excellent Group - Best Chance - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Excellent Group - Best Chance

GaryWood34

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zahana-oni said:

Just ignore him mate. The guy is clueless. 

Another post by you that is 100% about me. You truly are a sad little man :lol: 

19 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

We did though. Stop being hysterical. We won, created plenty of chances and should have scored more.  

If I remember rightly - and it is nearly two years ago, to be fair - we began the game comfortably in control and created a number of chances; then we scored and were a bit 'meh' after that.

In the second half, Georgia had a wee go and created a couple of half chances but nothing to cause too many headaches.  I certainly don't recall having that emotionally/physically drained feel that I usually do after most Scotland 1-0 victories, so we must have been fairly comfortable.  

The only result from the last campaign I would class as truly unacceptably was the 1-0 defeat in Georgia.  We were shocking that night.  The game at Ibrox reminded me at the time of the kind of functional, unspectacular win we used chalk up in the Roxburgh/Brown days; the kind of result that would be quickly forgotten as we moved on to bigger and better things.  It wasn't to be though, in no small part because we were so shite in Tbilisi.

28 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If I remember rightly - and it is nearly two years ago, to be fair - we began the game comfortably in control and created a number of chances; then we scored and were a bit 'meh' after that.

In the second half, Georgia had a wee go and created a couple of half chances but nothing to cause too many headaches.  I certainly don't recall having that emotionally/physically drained feel that I usually do after most Scotland 1-0 victories, so we must have been fairly comfortable.  

The only result from the last campaign I would class as truly unacceptably was the 1-0 defeat in Georgia.  We were shocking that night.  The game at Ibrox reminded me at the time of the kind of functional, unspectacular win we used chalk up in the Roxburgh/Brown days; the kind of result that would be quickly forgotten as we moved on to bigger and better things.  It wasn't to be though, in no small part because we were so shite in Tbilisi.

The whole of the last campaign was pretty much fine except that game in Georgia. I still cant figure it out. It was as if we were playing a meaningless friendly... I dont believe it is true but I actually wondered if the players really wanted to go. It was as if they tactically picked the most crucial moment to just say fukk it and not bother. We took 4/6 points off our biggest rivals for a playoff. They negated that by taking points off Germany but all we had to do was put in a performance against Georgia and we did the opposite. Every player was rank that night I recall. It was shocking and perplexing watching it kept wondering when they were going to show some urgency, never happened. Has anyone ever spoken about what went wrong that night. Be curious to know the story.

Edited by thplinth

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The whole of the last campaign was pretty much fine except that game in Georgia. I still cant figure it out. It was as if we were playing a meaningless friendly... I dont believe it is true but I actually wondered if the players really wanted to go. It was as if they tactically picked the most crucial moment to just say fukk it and not bother. We took 4/6 points off our biggest rivals for a playoff. They negated that by taking points off Germany but all we had to do was put in a performance against Georgia and we did the opposite. Every player was rank that night I recall. It was shocking and perplexing watching it kept wondering when they were going to show some urgency, never happened. Has anyone ever spoken about what went wrong that night. Be curious to know the story.

It could be, as they were going there in a commanding position in the group at the time, that they thought all they had to do was turn up, go through the motions and they'd take the points.  They'd be stupid if they did; plenty of better Scotland sides have had a rude awakening after approaching games with that mindset, but it's a possibility.

Edited by scotlad

Germany away was a a good effort and we were unfortunate not to get a draw.

Poland away was again, a good effort but we were fortunate and rode the luck but gained a valuable point.

Ireland away, despite the point was a lacklustre heartless effort. This match was key against a team we were competing against for 2nd or 3rd spot but we failed to get a vital win. 

Georgia away was just plain awful.  Those 3 points would have been really crucial if we got them. 

Gibraltar away was overall a friendly and decent enough performance.

The home performances were decent enough. So unlucky against Poland for 3 points and made Germany sweat again for a bit until they had to go into 2nd or 3rd gear to get the win.

Ireland and Georgia wins were good victories. Effort made the victories. Gibraltar victory was expected but they gave us a wee fright for a bit.

It wasn't the worst campaign we've had but we missed out the best chance we had for qualifying for a few years. 

Disappointing is the word I would describe the whole campaign overall. 

1 hour ago, jock strap said:

Germany away was a a good effort and we were unfortunate not to get a draw.

Poland away was again, a good effort but we were fortunate and rode the luck but gained a valuable point.

Ireland away, despite the point was a lacklustre heartless effort. This match was key against a team we were competing against for 2nd or 3rd spot but we failed to get a vital win. 

Georgia away was just plain awful.  Those 3 points would have been really crucial if we got them. 

Gibraltar away was overall a friendly and decent enough performance.

The home performances were decent enough. So unlucky against Poland for 3 points and made Germany sweat again for a bit until they had to go into 2nd or 3rd gear to get the win.

Ireland and Georgia wins were good victories. Effort made the victories. Gibraltar victory was expected but they gave us a wee fright for a bit.

It wasn't the worst campaign we've had but we missed out the best chance we had for qualifying for a few years. 

Disappointing is the word I would describe the whole campaign overall. 

no time for regrets.   next campaign this thread is about

2 hours ago, bonny78 said:

no time for regrets.   next campaign this thread is about

Aye, still disappointed but :(

half pint is full, we can only do our bit by giving full support from the start. 

Time to make Hampden a cauldron again :ok: 

On 13 July 2016 at 8:16 AM, Parklife said:

"Hysterical"? :unsure: 

we were playing one of the lowest ranked teams on the planet, yet were hanging on at the end. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. 

Although Georgia were ranked in the low 100s in the world we all know they're a better side than that and their ranking isn't all that accurate. I would not have beg t my house on us winning that game, although we should've won and did win.

And even if their ranking is considered accurate by some it doesn't matter who you are playing and how low they are ranked, going into the last ten minutes with a one nil lead is always dangerous as any team are capable of scoring especially if there's a weird bounce of the ball or some strange occurrence of some kind that is outside your control. One nil is never comfortable but I thought we saw the last ten minutes out about as comfortably as you ever can. We managed the last ten minutes well.

Yes it would've been nice going into the last ten three up, and with a bit of luck we could well have been, but going hell for leather looking for more goals to put a gloss on the scoreline just to appease some on here would've been madness.

It was an steady and efficient, if unspectacular, performance that got the desired outcome.

16 hours ago, scotlad said:

This

Edited by DaveyDenoon

I think to say that last campaign was no bad and we only had one game is quite ridiculous and laughable!  We finished 4th!!!!  Both Poland games we were winning in last 20mins yet not good enough to shut up shop.  Germany away we equalised then low and beyond shit the bed and concede after a lengthy 4 minutes.  Strachan says you can't criticise the players mentality, well i disagree their mentality is weak.  Ireland even N Ire have the mentality of Gladiators to our players who are pansies.  People can hide behind that one bad game in Georgia but if we want to progress you need to be honest.  We won't qualify if we kid ourselves into saying that was a no bad campaign bar one game!!!

Edited by Radian

last campaign - simples.

- we didn't excel and get a win against the top two teams - Germany or Poland. In previous successful qualifiers we have invariably beaten a "better" team than us. We don't seem to be able to do that now.

- We are competent against teams that are of similar standing to us but would never win such a game comfortably.

- we also struggle to beat lesser teams.

why is this the case? Lack of quality players yes, but I would say also lack of confidence. and much of that blame has to be done to the manager for his tactics, utterances, bizarre omissions and inconsistency over call-ups, and in line with that, the perseverance with players who are now considered veterans and never offered us anything in the first place........

If Strachan had been replaced at the end of the last campaign I would be looking at the WC qualifiers reasonably optimistically. Now, as others have said, there is nothing to suggest that we are not going to see just more of the same.

And don't get me started on McGhee, Sbragia and now the appointment of Watson. To me the SFA are like Scottish Labour in 2012 - the taken for granted assumption that votes/season tickets will be delivered regardless of what is given back or the ineptitude of those involved.......

Okay off to sort out my season ticket

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just checked the Slovakian and Slovenian supporters message boards and they are both expecting to take at least one point of England, Slovakian's are hoping for four so they can top the group.

Are they worried about having to face Steven Fletcher?

• 2 weeks later...

I think we'd have beaten Poland at Hampden if meant anything. We were looking good for the win but as soon as Ireland scored against Germany the atmosphere died and the players knew we were out. I don't think Poland would have scored otherwise although it's impossible to say. If you watch the match again, our players drop when they know that they're out regardless of our result.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think we'd have beaten Poland at Hampden if meant anything. We were looking good for the win but as soon as Ireland scored against Germany the atmosphere died and the players knew we were out. I don't think Poland would have scored otherwise although it's impossible to say. If you watch the match again, our players drop when they know that they're out regardless of our result.

If that's the case I'd be very disappointed, as it was only the fact Poland scored that knocked us out on the night. A win and we'd still have had a chance. Plus if my memory serves me well, our game finished a couple of minutes before Ireland Germany so again at the point Poland scored we were not already out.

ok we'd have needed an Irish win in Poland which never came, but if the players gave up on the basis of Ireland leading with a few minutes left that is unprofessional and unacceptable.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Of course they will have. The atmosphere died within a minute of the goal. 

Do you think the players were as daft as you in thinking that we were out as soon as Ireland scored against Germany?;) I would like to hope not, but you could be right.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Didnt know where to post this but how come Englands games kick off at 5 and ours later ? Thought they would all kick off at the same time to prevent any team gaining an advantage 

It's only the final round of matches which have to kick off at the same time.