Sacrifice 2018 World Cup qualification? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sacrifice 2018 World Cup qualification?

ceudmilefailte

Would it be a bad idea to start again and try and build a team for the future? I reckon it is time to admit that a lot of the current squad would not be good enough and even if we qualified and a much younger squad is required. The experience would set the players up for the easier 2020 Euros campaign and that would also build on our chances for 2022 world cup. I really don't think any of our older players are going to be part of a successful squad for 2020 on wards.. Maybe keep Scott Brown if he looks like his old self during Celtics Euro campaign and the few competitive games he will play in the SPFL and I guess a keeper is a bit of a problem for the time being, but it would be better to see a new guard fail than the old one. 2020 is 4 years away so some other players might come through.

If anyone thinks this a negative approach go buy a dictionary.

Oh and this new team might click quickly enough to hammer England twice.

One outfield player over 30, two over 26 and hope that the rest progress.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

There is a chance we could qualify, one in six according to the bookies. Make these changes and it might decrease but the long term gain is worth it. Talking total clear out from Malta on wards. Not blooding the odd player here and there.

If you're only getting 6/1 for Scotland qualifying your bookie is ripping the pish.

8 hours ago, deecie said:

It's not really a sacrifice when there's no chance of it actually happening in the first place.

Time we stopped throwing the toys out the pram. Of course we have a chance.

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Aside from McGinn, I don't think any of the rest are better than what we have

I agree with you, although I'd say that Tierney is the only one who may deserve a shirt. rather than McGinn 

I do think we need to put some older players to pasture like Maloney, Hutton and maybe Brown... However, I also think that the most important player to introduce who barely played last campaign is Darren Fletcher. Captain and ever present in the Premier League last year, and with more big game experience than the rest of the team put together. If you think that a boy from a team that were 3rd in the Scottish Championship is better placed to make a difference, then you're dreaming.

I think we should pick a squad from the best performing players at any given time.I like the idea of putting out a young side but who is to say they will improve with experience.Are UEFA still going ahead with the nation's league?if so they would be the game's to blood young player's.We are in a weird situation we need finance to fund the youth development so we hopefully produce players good enough to help the team qualify on a regular basis but need to qualify to gain the finance.If i knew the answer i wouldn't be posting on here really.

Ian

5 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Time we stopped throwing the toys out the pram. Of course we have a chance.

I agree with you, although I'd say that Tierney is the only one who may deserve a shirt. rather than McGinn 

I do think we need to put some older players to pasture like Maloney, Hutton and maybe Brown... However, I also think that the most important player to introduce who barely played last campaign is Darren Fletcher. Captain and ever present in the Premier League last year, and with more big game experience than the rest of the team put together. If you think that a boy from a team that were 3rd in the Scottish Championship is better placed to make a difference, then you're dreaming.

darren fletchers performance against france was fecking abysmal

3 quarters of the squad need to go

including the entire management team

Poland/Gibraltar squad

Goalkeepers Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Gordon Greer (Brighton & Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders Ikechi Anya (Watford), Scott Brown (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (West Brom), James Forrest (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Hull City), James Morrison (West Brom), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), Kevin McDonald (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth AFC), Johnny Russell (Derby County)

Forwards Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Chris Martin (Derby), Steven Naismith (Everton), Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

Don't know were we are going to find the replacements from but by my reckoning only the three keepers,Robertson,, Shinnie, McAarthur, Ritchie, Griffiths and Rhodes come close to fitting the bill. Probably need Brown or Fletcher to settle the midfield. Don't really think Griffiths or Rhodes have proven they are up to top class football but they will have to do.

This about getting a team together that will last thee campaigns. Playing players because they are simply "in form" misses out the team factor which funnily enough is what football is all about. Just ask Northern Ireland or Iceland, 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Poland/Gibraltar squad

Goalkeepers Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Gordon Greer (Brighton & Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders Ikechi Anya (Watford), Scott Brown (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (West Brom), James Forrest (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Hull City), James Morrison (West Brom), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), Kevin McDonald (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth AFC), Johnny Russell (Derby County)

Forwards Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Chris Martin (Derby), Steven Naismith (Everton), Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

Don't know were we are going to find the replacements from but by my reckoning only the three keepers,Robertson,, Shinnie, McAarthur, Ritchie, Griffiths and Rhodes come close to fitting the bill. Probably need Brown or Fletcher to settle the midfield. Don't really think Griffiths or Rhodes have proven they are up to top class football but they will have to do.

This about getting a team together that will last thee campaigns. Playing players because they are simply "in form" misses out the team factor which funnily enough is what football is all about. Just ask Northern Ireland or Iceland, 

In bold are all the players I would unceremoniously ditch. Either for being too old and declining (Maloney, Hutton), jinxed (S Fletcher) or just outrageously pish (Forrest).

Sentimentality isn't something I do. Just ditch them I say !

I'm even starting to think that maybe it's time up for Steven Naismith too.

Sceptical we'll ever see Kevin McDonald again, who knows what's happening with Rhodes ? Johnny Russell deserves a couple of games from the start to show what he can do.

i think we should practise our fouls during the 2 England matches if we fall far behind.    Start haffing england players all over da pitch.. whaaaammmmm ping  ping  pow poww  etc..

29 seconds   and  49 seconds

Edited by bonny78
4got link

Guest allyc

Not qualifying for tournaments for the last 18 years is part of grand masterplan as we build towards the 2018 world cup...

On 07/07/2016 at 5:47 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Would it be a bad idea to start again and try and build a team for the future? I reckon it is time to admit that a lot of the current squad would not be good enough and even if we qualified and a much younger squad is required. The experience would set the players up for the easier 2020 Euros campaign and that would also build on our chances for 2022 world cup. I really don't think any of our older players are going to be part of a successful squad for 2020 on wards.. Maybe keep Scott Brown if he looks like his old self during Celtics Euro campaign and the few competitive games he will play in the SPFL and I guess a keeper is a bit of a problem for the time being, but it would be better to see a new guard fail than the old one. 2020 is 4 years away so some other players might come through.

If anyone thinks this a negative approach go buy a dictionary.

Oh and this new team might click quickly enough to hammer England twice.

One outfield player over 30, two over 26 and hope that the rest progress.

Sadly iam old enough too remember Charlie Nicholas and I think Neil Mcann saying the very same on sky sports after another dismal Scotland qualification campaign.

It was 2001/02 not sure on dates but they said we should leave the next campaign and look to 2008..."with all the young talent coming through".

What happened to that !!!!

NO, change management team and structure now....

31 minutes ago, scotsgary2 said:

Sadly iam old enough too remember Charlie Nicholas and I think Neil Mcann saying the very same on sky sports after another dismal Scotland qualification campaign.

It was 2001/02 not sure on dates but they said we should leave the next campaign and look to 2008..."with all the young talent coming through".

Georgia happend.  plus a strange decision that lost us the Italy game, however, a draw wasn't good enough either.       Georgia  fk off

2 hours ago, scotsgary2 said:

Think a lot of us thought that then with Faddy, Fletcher, Gordon looking like they could all become greats