TITP 2016 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who the fu*k are "Disclosure" and why are they 2nd top on the main stage?

I went to Leeds Festival on five occasions from 2001 till 2007 and have been to TITP twice, 2008 & 2011, (the latter when Pulp and Blur, memorably stole the show). In 2001 at Leeds, Scottish folk burned the toilets and food kiosks to the ground to the extent that they moved it from Temple Newsum park to some other, more awkwardly accessible place from the next year forward. TITP was full of teenage nobs who went to unsuccessfully try and get off with each other, watch The Coral, take weed and escape their parents faux-control for a weekend. We don't do festivals the way that England do festivals.

I once semi-nakedly slept in some other c*nt's tent at Leeds cos I was too drunk on alcohol and Gogol Bordello to find my own. It led to my infamous, "Rant In My Pants"; THAT was a glorious festival weekend.

Edited by thewolf_1980

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Are you Prince William ? 

Pardon?

I was always more a free festival kind of guy, I used to take my camper van to Rossiemuir and Dunnichen Hill until the Criminal Justice Act let the police shut them all down.  I always hated the idea of big corporate festivals, especially one sponsored by a brewery, but I finally relented in 1998 when a friend offered me free tickets.  I enjoyed Pulp and Prodigy but nothing else on that bill was my kind of music. I tried to get into ogle Natalie Imbruglia but then so did another 5000 guys so I couldn't. 

I've since grown up a bit and go to the mainstream festivals quite a lot.   I've been down to Glastonbury, Reading, Beautiful Days and god knows what else but mostly now go to Wickerman with the kids cos I'm an old get and I like the crusty old punk bands.  Went down to Bearded Theory this summer dos Wickerman not on - what a line-up that was: The Levellers, Killing Joke, Bad Manners, PIL etc.  If you like that kinda thing anyway.  Butefest in a fortnight....

And of all those festivals, TITP really was the most horrible one I've been to.  It just felt like walking down Argyle Street late on a Saturday night, looking over your shoulder all the time. 

Agree about the wickerman best festival going but even it's getting alot more commercial. I've been 6 or 7 times and have noticed big changes over the years. Used to love the old scooter tent. 

Apart from The Slam Tent, the line up has deteriorated every year for the last 7 or 8 years. For the amount of money you pay, you get treated like sh!te, the bevvy is over expensive and horrible and there are numerous festivals throughout europe and the UK which offer better line up's and a better experience. It's only a matter of time before it gets binned all together and it will be the best thing thats happened to music festivals in Scotland.

49 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Pardon?

I was always more a free festival kind of guy, I used to take my camper van to Rossiemuir and Dunnichen Hill until the Criminal Justice Act let the police shut them all down.  I always hated the idea of big corporate festivals, especially one sponsored by a brewery, but I finally relented in 1998 when a friend offered me free tickets.  I enjoyed Pulp and Prodigy but nothing else on that bill was my kind of music. I tried to get into ogle Natalie Imbruglia but then so did another 5000 guys so I couldn't. 

I've since grown up a bit and go to the mainstream festivals quite a lot.   I've been down to Glastonbury, Reading, Beautiful Days and god knows what else but mostly now go to Wickerman with the kids cos I'm an old get and I like the crusty old punk bands.  Went down to Bearded Theory this summer dos Wickerman not on - what a line-up that was: The Levellers, Killing Joke, Bad Manners, PIL etc.  If you like that kinda thing anyway.  Butefest in a fortnight....

And of all those festivals, TITP really was the most horrible one I've been to.  It just felt like walking down Argyle Street late on a Saturday night, looking over your shoulder all the time. 

If you dont like the music on offer it changes your whole perception about a festival as at the end of the day that is what you are there for. You start noticing things you wouldnt otherwise notice so  its fair enough you  thought it was 'horrible' when it wasnt really your thing. I have just never heard anyone who was at TITP in the 'olden days' describe it as such and that is from a fairly wide spectrum of people.

Even the weather makes a big difference at a festival , folk can go on about how much fun it is in the rain but unless you are under 21  getting pished out your head  and rolling in mud baths aint that amusing.   

I wouldnt even go to see one of my favourite bands in a stadium anymore, such is my dislike for large gigs,  but I realise everyone is different. TITP is probably very much mainly for youngsters these days and by youngsters i mean 25 and under. They all get their tickets for Xmas or birthday. 

Enjoy Bute, I was actually considering going there myself so if you see an old burd shaking her hips in a mud bath ..... run for the hills !!

19 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My daughter is there and I can assure you she is far from a ned. I texted her to make sure she is ok. Her tent has collapsed with the wind and she and her pal are too hungover to fix it. I reckon thats as wild as it gets for the majority of people there, though I am not naive enough to think there is not an issue with drugs.  You will get that anywhere though. 

It may be the case its become a victim of its own success and is too large to manage effectively . In that is the case they should reduce the number of tickets or increase the price. 

Just to be pedantic, its actually smaller now than it was four years ago- due to both licensing restrictions, and lower ticket sales.

16 hours ago, phart said:

The first year i went 1999, someone went mental with an axe and they cordoned off a huge area, in which my tent was inside. In 2003 we had to basically "coerce" 6 neds to move their tent (next our encampment). As two of them were brothers and one had set the others tent on fire at 3am, which backed right on to mine, then he tried to jump me cause i wasn't happy with burning tents around me.

I stopped going about 2007 when it got really bad for confrontations. I liked a smoke then, and trying to chill with coked up pissheads with their tops off reeking of BO wanting to fight was getting pretty hard, got skelped with a glass bottle of merrydown full of piss that someone flung int he air as well, hit me on the shoulder ,luckily not over the napper.

the first couple of years were amazing, plenty of space to walk about, really friendly atmosphere, chilled out campsite (Axe attack excepted) . Also bumping into folk you haven't seen in ages.

Music is subjective, i just followed folk around i know feck all about music.

The festival seems pretty feral these days.

You must have close to us that year- we were just on the otherside of the axe cordon.

If I remember correctly it was one dealer going after another for trying to raid his tent.

2008 my mate got hit with a metal torch on the Friday night, after some ned tried to rip a flag off his girlfriends shoulder in the campsite. No damage, but never went back. Was it everyone at Balado before that. Could see the way that it was going over the years though.

Still go to the odd European festival. Much better value, and never any trouble.

Miss the Slam tent though !!

Only festival ive been to was Bonaroo in Tennessee and it was brilliant. Same size as T and although american had a much better calibre of festival goers. Never saw any trouble at all. Really well organised too. Can take your car to your campsite aswell whch was useful. We had a large group camping area with our friends ans their uni friends etc probably 100ish in our area maybe more. Were able to leave cool boxes etc lying about full of booze all day and nothing went missing. Dont know if they do it at othet festivals im sure they do but there were hot air balloons in the sky marking each camping area so never got lost and golf carts acting as taxis for free, just gave the drivers a wee tip. Great experience and put me right off T which seems to have gotten worse and worse, line up wise and clientel. 

After 10+ years there camping, giving it a miss this year following the shambles last year and the line up not appealing enough to go for a weekend wander in the pishin rain knee deep in mud.......missing it, ........naw!

Daughter and her pals exactly the same.

unless they start getting decent line ups again, will probably not be back, shame really because until last year loved every minute of it .

19 minutes ago, Big Col said:

we have this discussion every year don't we?

wasn't like that in my day. I remember when this was all fields. etc.

The thing that does annoy me is The Arches was closed for less.

In fairness The Arches wasnt trying to organise 80k people over a 3 day period. Drugs are everywhere these days and anyone thinking they are limited to TITP or The Arches for that matter is deluded. The Arches was merely a scapegoat. 

Most people posting on here are remembering through nostalgia and rose tinted glasses, we all do, things move on and TITP must still be doing something right if so many folk are still going , particularly after ,  as another poster mentioned , the shambles of last year. But 2 people dying needs to be a wake up call. 

Disappointing to read so many folk moaning about  Neds on here , like they are shit on their shoes.   Neds are a by product of our society and until something fundamental changes in Scotland and in our drinking culture this will always be the same.  If many Neds started with a better chance in life they may not end up Neds. And i do not believe for 1 minute that the vast majority of folk at TITP are not decent people. 

Anyway, better get off ma soap box, I need a drink ! 

6 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Has anyone on here attended the Hebridean Celtic Festival? I think that looks really good but not managed up to it as of yet

I've been to that one.   We had the Proclaimers, Manran the Waterboys.  It's a very small site, only a couple of tents but a decent atmosphere.  You can't camp at it, but we took our caravan and stayed at the campsite in Stornoway which was within walking distance. 

I remember Liam Gallagher shitting himself at climbing the rigging like Gwen Stefani did whilst headlining the mainstage on a Saturday night. 

Now Calvin fvcking Harris is pressing a button up there. 

Its all wrong,so fvcking wrong :(:(

I was expecting this to be about the EU trade deal with the US. !!

Edited by buckielugger

On 7/8/2016 at 11:38 PM, thewolf_1980 said:

Who the fu*k are "Disclosure" and why are they 2nd top on the main stage?

Disclosure are fecking brilliant! 

On 7/9/2016 at 10:48 PM, dandydunn said:

I remember Liam Gallagher shitting himself at climbing the rigging like Gwen Stefani did whilst headlining the mainstage on a Saturday night. 

Now Calvin fvcking Harris is pressing a button up there. 

Its all wrong,so fvcking wrong :(:(

Calvin Harris' set was sensational, both visually and musically. Also comedy genius ending on the ned favourite "Bits n Pieces". 

On 7/8/2016 at 5:41 PM, TDYER63 said:

Some of these comments reek of complete and utter music snobbery. It would be an extremely  boring world if everyone enjoyed the same type of music. Calvin Harris may not be everyones cup of tea but neither is Biffy Clyro or The Who. Its called a musical festival and music comes in various forms. There are still  plenty of smaller festivals for those who enjoy a less 'popular' music scene. 

No they don't, they are folks opinions.

TITP have gone down a route that attracts a large % of bellends now. 

I love dance music, used to spend hours in the SLAM tent but TITP is a shadow of the festival it once was. That's a cold, hard fact. 

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

No they don't, they are folks opinions.

TITP have gone down a route that attracts a large % of bellends now. 

I love dance music, used to spend hours in the SLAM tent but TITP is a shadow of the festival it once was. That's a cold, hard fact. 

Ok let me rephrase it. Many folk on this thread 'are of the opinion' that if its not the type of music /band that they like/liked then the music is inferior and that equals a shite festival. There is a degree of snobbishness to that.  

Things move on. I am not on here as a champion for TITP , just trying to show an alternative viewpoint. I imagine you are now a few years older now than when you first went to TITP. That is also a cold hard fact. Plenty of other festivals out there happy to accomodate your more mature needs as you yourself have pointed out. 

Younger folk will will be loving TITP as it is still new to them, though i imagine the weather this year will have dampened more than their spirits. And you should be grateful to TITP for talkng the' bellends' off the streets for a weekend.  ?

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Ok let me rephrase it. Many folk on this thread 'are of the opinion' that if its not the type of music /band that they like/liked then the music is inferior and that equals a shite festival. There is a degree of snobbishness to that.  

Things move on. I am not on here as a champion for TITP , just trying to show an alternative viewpoint. I imagine you are now a few years older now than when you first went to TITP. That is also a cold hard fact. Plenty of other festivals out there happy to accomodate your more mature needs as you yourself have pointed out. 

Younger folk will will be loving TITP as it is still new to them, though i imagine the weather this year will have dampened more than their spirits. And you should be grateful to TITP for talkng the' bellends' off the streets for a weekend.  ?

You only have to look at the pics that have been doing the rounds of the ridiculously small crowd for LCD Soundsystem to understand that it's a shite festival where the vast majority of attendees wouldn't know good music if it smacked them in the dish.