TITP 2016 - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

27 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Well , I will bow to your knowledge of what music bellends like. I am now a bit too old to be in the know about that.

It must be difficult though for the organisers to try and accomodate all tastes, its not just yobs that like acts such as Calvin Harris etc. Whatever your own personal thoughts are on that music he is hugely popular and there will be a lot of people that like him that are not Neds. 

It would be a shame if it completely deteriorated to a yobfest, Scotland should be able to host a festival that accomodates both popular  acts and the lesser known. There is obviously a decent demand. Whatever happened to Rock Ness? My older daughter who is now 25 went to that when she outgrew TITP but I havent heard about it recently. 

Rockness was a much better festival than T. Sadly they spunked their ten year budget in the space of 4 years or something. 

Organisers have driven away people who have gone religiously each year since the beginning. A lot of my mates have gone to T since the 90s but stopped going as the line up was so poor and the the organisers show no imagination. They instead have gone to Glasonbury, Lisbon, Kendal Calling, Bennicassim etc in recent years and seen far better line ups for the money.

T will eventually die a death as they no longer have the folk who went year or year (eventually taking their kids with them) like happened in the past. They are chasing the quick buck and they'll end up losing their licence. Hell mend them. 

I go to tons of gigs, both local bands and huge bands and i'd struggle to fill a days worth of viewing out the T line up last weekend. 

TITP in it's day was an absolutely fantastic festival. It's dead now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rockness was a much better festival than T. Sadly they spunked their ten year budget in the space of 4 years or something. 

Organisers have driven away people who have gone religiously each year since the beginning. A lot of my mates have gone to T since the 90s but stopped going as the line up was so poor and the the organisers show no imagination. They instead have gone to Glasonbury, Lisbon, Kendal Calling, Bennicassim etc in recent years and seen far better line ups for the money.

T will eventually die a death as they no longer have the folk who went year or year (eventually taking their kids with them) like happened in the past. They are chasing the quick buck and they'll end up losing their licence. Hell mend them. 

I go to tons of gigs, both local bands and huge bands and i'd struggle to fill a days worth of viewing out the T line up last weekend. 

TITP in it's day was an absolutely fantastic festival. It's dead now.

I have been sent a standard email by the organisers as i usually buy my daughter a ticket each year but she bought her own this year so they think I never went. They are asking why i never went. I am gonna cut and paste your post. Will have no impact whatsoever on its own but if enough people show similar grievances it may give them food for thought. Maybe  not enough to get you back but for future festival goers. 

My daughter came back from TiTP early Monday morning. Her pals dad had driven up late Sunday night to save them spending another night in the rain. When the festival finished it took almost 4 hours for them to get from the campsite to the car park due to the shambolic organisation, plus the rain probably didnt help. She was completely pissed off. Not as pissed off as the poor dad right enough. He had been sitting there from 10.30pm.  My husband would have buggered off at 11pm.

She is going to Benniccassim tomorrow so will hopefully fare better. 

1 hour ago, Angus_Young said:

Agreed. 

During the noughties there really were some special weekends in there.  Some incredible performances/atmospheres.

Can always remember a year where in one day Layo & Bushwacka, Orbital, and Green Velvet (live) all played one after the other.  We went outside for a rest and the ing ground was shaking from Marco Corolla and Gaetano Parisio's set. Ritchie Hawtin then finished off. Last track was Dark and Long by Underworld. Dunno why or indeed HOW  I can remember that but a few of us still talk about it as being one of the best 'gigs' we have ever been to. :)

Iirc it was 2002 as that's the year Oasis played on the Saturday. 

I was looking at the 2008 line up recently when I went and from what I remember, I barely left the Slam tent, it was just masterclass after masterclass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_in_the_Park_2008#Slam_Tent

2 hours ago, Mox said:

I was looking at the 2008 line up recently when I went and from what I remember, I barely left the Slam tent, it was just masterclass after masterclass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_in_the_Park_2008#Slam_Tent

Ah The Hacker. An old favourite of mine 

Thing I used to love about the Slam Tent was that they had real crowd pullers playing  early on in the day. Defenitely wasn't the case with the other main stages/tents.

I mind the first year it was on the 3 days (2007 I think)I went up to the cash machine on the Sunday. It was around midday so the arena was pretty dead, apart from a decent stream of folk going into the ST.  Poked my head in and about 4000 folk were in the place for Andy Weatherall. Superb. 

I was a TITP regular '94-'99 and then visited again 2005+2006. So its 10 years since I've been.

Anyhoos, my thoughts are it's a lots less about the music now. Its like a stag do or a weekend away where you can behave like an arse for the weekend with no consequences. The biggest shock to me returning in 2005 was how much busier it was. The organisers had simply crammed more and more folk into the same space. This obviously created flash points.

I was talking to a few folk at work today who had been to TITP this year. They all went for the day only. In their view the campsite isn't worth the hassle. "just gangs of young ones roaming about causing bother" That's coming from 19-20 year olds. To them spending 2 hours waiting on a bus and then 2 hours sitting on a bus home was preferable to the campsite.