The Open - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Open

gusmac

Looking forward to Thursday. Will be putting money on garcia, Dustin johnson, Westwood, colsaerts and richie ramsey. Watched sky's open preview coverage which was quite entertaining. One punter asked Paul Laurie what sauce he preferred on his roll and sausage.......he has it without any sauce.

Tenner on Speith at 12's. 

Coverage has been decent so far. Good to get a bit of insight from the pro's as to how and why they choose to hit certain shots. 

Still my favourite competition in golf because so many have a genuine chance of winning it. 

I know we have Scottish lads playing but I would love to see Garcia or Westwood win it. 

My usual major bet on Garcia. Fowler likes a links so may punt on him too. Richie feeling good at moment, getting back into it following birth of his daughter and brought up on links - could it be an amazing non-fitba summer for Scotland??

Edited by SMcoolJ

I'll be having my 62nd consecutive major bet on Sergio of course.  Also fancy Leishman, Wood and Reed, all EW.

Forgot to say I'm heading down on the Saturday.  Does anyone know what time the first groupings usually tee off on a Saturday?  It's my first time at a tournament so any hints/tips to make the day a bit more enjoyable would be appreciated.  Especially as I'm going with my in-laws who are in their 70s!!

Edited by Fairbairn

Joost Luiten Top 10 finish 12/1

Richie Ramsay 250/1 e/w

Johnson/Day/Mcilroy/Spieth top 10 inc ties 22/1

Andy Sullivan 66/1 ew

Jason Day outright 8/1

Thats my bets for the week. 

Canna wait,be up extra early for work tomorrow to get 1 & 1/2 hours coverage in beforehand. 

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Monty is 150/1

Paul Lawrie is 300/1

Just saying .........

Is that to make the cut ;)

For some value for money.

Alex Noren after his brilliant performance at the Scottish Open and Shane Lowery who's showing decent form.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I'll be having my 62nd consecutive major bet on Sergio of course.  Also fancy Leishman, Wood and Reed, all EW.

Forgot to say I'm heading down on the Saturday.  Does anyone know what time the first groupings usually tee off on a Saturday?  It's my first time at a tournament so any hints/tips to make the day a bit more enjoyable would be appreciated.  Especially as I'm going with my in-laws who are in their 70s!!

9am on Saturday mate. Gates are 7am. Ive been a couple of times. Trying to follow one of the big players is a pain in the arse but you can get a bit closer to them at the practise area so worth heading there. 

You could  follow one of the earlier starters for a few holes and then pick a good spot where you will see everyone coming through, perhaps one of the par 3's like the 8th where they will be hitting pitching wedge into it but is a hole with ridiculous bunkers so guaranteed to be guys going close and others blowing up. There is a grandstand there but you will need to be sharp. 

17 would also be a good spot as it's a 220 yard par 3 so again it's one that could have a bit of drama. 

Enjoy fella

4 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

9am on Saturday mate. Gates are 7am. Ive been a couple of times. Trying to follow one of the big players is a pain in the arse but you can get a bit closer to them at the practise area so worth heading there. 

You could  follow one of the earlier starters for a few holes and then pick a good spot where you will see everyone coming through, perhaps one of the par 3's like the 8th where they will be hitting pitching wedge into it but is a hole with ridiculous bunkers so guaranteed to be guys going close and others blowing up. There is a grandstand there but you will need to be sharp. 

17 would also be a good spot as it's a 220 yard par 3 so again it's one that could have a bit of drama. 

Enjoy fella

So what you're saying is that Sergio is going to spunk it at the 8th? :wink2:

Cheers for the advice. 

22 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I would normally say to follow a group around the course but, as you're going with 70 year olds, i'd heed Angus' advice and try and find a spot in a grandstand around a green. As he said, a par 3 would be best bet, as you'll see them hit their tee shot in to the green. 

Enjoy! 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I would normally say to follow a group around the course but, as you're going with 70 year olds, i'd heed Angus' advice and try and find a spot in a grandstand around a green. As he said, a par 3 would be best bet, as you'll see them hit their tee shot in to the green. 

Enjoy! 

Cheers.

To be fair, the 70 year olds are probably in better nick than me!!

22 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The Yanks appear to be ripping up Troon!  Top 5 all American with Bubba in particular at -5 through 5.  Good to see Patrick Reed also in share for the lead....

Not really playing like a links so far and the front 9 isn't too difficult as it is.  Be interesting to see how guys like Watson will cope when the wind picks up. 

21 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

I see Watson has dropped 5 shots. Really can switch so quickly. That amateur lad Scott Gregor was -4 through 10 and then finished +7. 

Seen a thing on the BBC website that said his last 8 holes were Triple bogey, bogey, triple-bogey, birdie, bogey, bogey, double bogey, bogey.

That's some shooting!!

It's an absolute tragedy that it is now on Sky Sports

The BBC coverage was unsurpassable not to mention uninterrupted

I have Sky but have hardly watched any of it due to the adverts whereas i just relaxed in front of the TV for hours on end when it was on the BBC

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's an absolute tragedy that it is now on Sky Sports

The BBC coverage was unsurpassable not to mention uninterrupted

I have Sky but have hardly watched any of it due to the adverts whereas i just relaxed in front of the TV for hours on end when it was on the BBC

I concur.